• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

I wonder why the US even has models as they default to the EURO every single time.  This map is exactly what the Euro snow map shows,How do I know? Cause I have it, but cant post it, lol!! 

The Euro is/was always the King. It simply has more algorithms embedded within it. We should privatize weather forecasting instead of allowing the government to control it. There would be competition to create the best models and private funding to enhance our capabilities. Europe has it right.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess just the NW tip of Onondaga Cty will receive 8-12 while all around them receive 6-8", lol???

Take those maps with a grain of salt, this thing is heading NW and we all get heavy rain in return maybe some mix near L.Ontario shoreline but nonetheless i sense a big ol'Bust incoming! :flood: :flood:

Take those maps with a grain of salt, this thing is heading NW and we all get heavy rain in return maybe some mix near L.Ontario shoreline but nonetheless i sense a big ol'Bust incoming! :flood: :flood:

It can't go that much further west because of the kicker on its azz. If by some strange reason it phased, we'd be congratulating DET, lol! I still think we get snow but it's gonna be the consistency of Mashed potatoes, lol, with a lot of IP,FZRN but if the UKMET verifies we'll all have smiles, xcept KBUF but not likely! We'll see soon enough. One thing we do know for certain, a front end thump is on its way!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Oh, and I take every QPF map with a grain because it's a computers guess as to where the best lift, Omega, and temp profile's gonna be throughout the column so when I see a map like this I laugh. When it's preciping like a mofo, then I'll know it's S+ing!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Euro is/was always the King. It simply has more algorithms embedded within it. We should privatize weather forecasting instead of allowing the government to control it. There would be competition to create the best models and private funding to enhance our capabilities. Europe has it right.

The Euro is definitely not private. The model (IWF) wasn't privately developed, despite much of the data produced being kept proprietary, and the EMCWF is not a private organization, but a distinctively public, cooperative, intergovernmental body.

There are entirely good arguments for the merits of private market competition to produce the best product, but there are conditions, like a narrowly limited market for a product or when an existing producer concentrates resources, that this kind of competition fails, and to insist that the free market is the only way transforms into ideology, not economics. The fact that the Euro is produced by a public organization, and that no private group has built a modeling system that outperforms it, indicates that this is such a case.

The Euro is definitely not private. The model (IWF) wasn't privately developed, despite much of the data produced being kept proprietary, and the EMCWF is not a private organization, but a distinctively public, cooperative, intergovernmental body.

There are entirely good arguments for the merits of private market competition to produce the best product, but there are conditions, like a narrowly limited market for a product or when an existing producer concentrates resources, that this kind of competition fails, and to insist that the free market is the only way transforms into ideology, not economics. The fact that the Euro is produced by a public organization, and that no private group has built a modeling system that outperforms it, indicates that this is such a case.

Thanks for the correction, I was misinformed and agree with your points. I just wish North America was able to develop a superior product. They have made enhancements this year, but just not enough yet. The government took over our health insurance and my premiums skyrocketed to make it available to everyone else. $400-500 per person for 2 healthy mid 20 year olds who don't drink(often) or smoke. Through my work its still $400 per month for the both of us on the low tier plan, it's outrageous. That's another discussion for another day though. But the point I was making as you pointed out was make it a competitive price matching market and we would see loads of advancements.

00z Nam looks really good from just East of KBUF ( as they get shut out of this one unfortunately according to the laughable NAM) but KROC and especially KSYR really jackpot this run, but who says its correct?  I guess we'll see what the GFS, to whom I've offered to toss, as its been absolutely atrocious. not only its thermal profiles that have been all over the place, but also the placement of the SLP has been all over the place, throughout the entire time we've tracked this event, just my opinion is all.  

00Z Euro will be telling as well as the UKMET, as they haven't wavered a bit since the beginning but I have to say that the EURO sent me for a loop when I saw today's 12Z as it was well West of last nights 00z depiction, so it too is having its own issues regarding this complex scenario.

They need to do a case study on why Watertown gets so cold. They seem to hit -20 to -35 a few times each winter?

It's totally amazing. KART is NW of the city, right? Southeast and east the topography rises, but to the north and northwest, it's basically flat all the way to the Northwest Passage. So crazy cold air damming would be my guess.

If only

attachicon.gif3.gif

Lol Wolfie I love you, you only post model runs that jackpot your location.

Definitely surprising seeing the NAM southeast as it usually has a northwest Bias.

The NAM 4KM is actually quite different than the normal NAM which makes me question it. The higher resolution 4k shows less QPF and more west, while the lower resolution 12KM shows 22" in central New York. Hate to be a met right now.

namconus_asnow_neus_29.png

nam4km_asnow_neus_19.png

If only

attachicon.gif3.gif

WOLFIE, get confident bro, as this thing is incoming my brother and I am 3 miles to ur SE, so I'm pretty happy from the outcome as this run was a beaut and, believe it or not, as I was pretty much convinced that the Nam over compensated with today's 12Z and it was bound to head back East by 50-100 miles but lets see it it lasts with the rest of the 00Z run.

Archived