• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see nws twitter page has a stripe of 12 plus goin from east of Buffalo to east of roc. About 50 miles wide.

Everything you or I see on Social Media is basically old material as the NWS and most other agencies are behind the 8 ball when it comes to forecasting for the public.  We have just as much data at our fingertips, as a Met does who's job is formulating a forecast in the NWS offices across our great Country!

That sounds like an awesome job. It's my dream to be on a recon flight into an eye of a Hurricane. If you know anyone that can hook me up let me know! It's on my bucketlist. ^_^

That's something I both want to do, and don't want to do...if you know what I mean. I've spent quite a few hours in small planes (Twin Otter, too small to stand up in). Most enjoyable was flying for several hours out over the Pacific at 100' in 40 knot winds. During turns it looked like the swells were almost touching the wingtips. It brought out my latent claustrophobia...not sure I can do that again!

That's something I both want to do, and don't want to do...if you know what I mean. I've spent quite a few hours in small planes (Twin Otter, too small to stand up in). Most enjoyable was flying for several hours out over the Pacific at 100' in 40 knot winds. During turns it looked like the swells were almost touching the wingtips. It brought out my latent claustrophobia...not sure I can do that again!

Yeah, if that's the case maybe I wouldn't be able to. I have pretty bad claustrophobia as well. I do plan on going sky diving this summer though so that should give me a good taste of being on a small plane.

Yeah, if that's the case maybe I wouldn't be able to. I have pretty bad claustrophobia as well. I do plan on going sky diving this summer though so that should give me a good taste of being on a small plane.

Hurricane hunters are bigger planes (P3 type), I've been in those...not nearly as claustrophobic though they are often jammed with equipment. Plus they don't fly at 100'. Of course, the trade off is they are going through an eyewall...multiple times!

00z GFS is something...looks like KROC down to Olean jackpot...also KBUF. Unusual outcome if it happens but this seems to be the gist of most NWP the past day or so. Some really heavy qpf right long the 540 dm line at h36 and h42. Gotta think KSYR is mixed phase in there for a while...haven't seen the sounding text output yet, just staring at various fields.

Hurricane hunters are bigger planes (P3 type), I've been in those...not nearly as claustrophobic though they are often jammed with equipment. Plus they don't fly at 100'. Of course, the trade off is they are going through an eyewall...multiple times!

I flew on a P3 in the Mediterranean out of Sigonella NAS in Sicily doing some sub hunting once, on special assignment looking for the sub I was normally assigned to...That wave skimming is a little scary!

GFS, NAM, NAM-4KM all look good at KROC per soundings. GFS might have a bit of a warm layer initially (like 30-33 hours) at around 925 mb, but that's about it. 850/700/500 low tracks all look 'safe' too. Makes some sense that in this scenario, any mixing issues would be early on, as we'll be pulling cold air in and seeing better dynamics as time goes on. As others have mentioned, it's a shame that there are two shortwaves competing here, and this storm will really be getting it's act together as it flies by...but at least we've got the whole 'partial phase' going on.

00z GFS is something...looks like KROC down to Olean jackpot...also KBUF. Unusual outcome if it happens but this seems to be the gist of most NWP the past day or so. Some really heavy qpf right long the 540 dm line at h36 and h42. Gotta think KSYR is mixed phase in there for a while...haven't seen the sounding text output yet, just staring at various fields.

GFS looks like almost all rain at KSYR per soundings, except maybe a little snow wrapping around at the tail end.

GFS looks like almost all rain at KSYR per soundings, except maybe a little snow wrapping around at the tail end.

I haven't seen the soundings yet, or model extraction data but I Could believe that. Pretty unusual that NAM profiles are colder than GFS, I'd assume that's due to slight track difference. This thing doesn't really close off the H85 contour until hr 48, such a near miss.

GFS, NAM, NAM-4KM all look good at KROC per soundings. GFS might have a bit of a warm layer initially (like 30-33 hours) at around 925 mb, but that's about it. 850/700/500 low tracks all look 'safe' too. Makes some sense that in this scenario, any mixing issues would be early on, as we'll be pulling cold air in and seeing better dynamics as time goes on. As others have mentioned, it's a shame that there are two shortwaves competing here, and this storm will really be getting it's act together as it flies by...but at least we've got the whole 'partial phase' going on.

If this was a full pdase with both competing SW's this would be jack-potting KDET maybe even KFLT, lol!

Everything you or I see on Social Media is basically old material as the NWS and most other agencies are behind the 8 ball when it comes to forecasting for the public.  We have just as much data at our fingertips, as a Met does who's job is formulating a forecast in the NWS offices across our great Country!

NWS certainly has some catching up to do with regard to the whole social media business, among other emerging(emerged?) technology, but they've made some good progress. As far as the data and tools go, your not exactly wrong, but not exactly right either. Some pretty good toys ala AWIPS/AWIPSII that I can't find online. Ability to have multiple 4-panels and overlays of so many parameters, and hourly sounding data. Yes it can be quite maddening forecasting, and I don't blame anybody for going in ANY other direction, but at least there are some perks! :)

NWS certainly has some catching up to do with regard to the whole social media business, among other emerging(emerged?) technology, but they've made some good progress. As far as the data and tools go, your not exactly wrong, but not exactly right either. Some pretty good toys ala AWIPS/AWIPSII that I can't find online. Ability to have multiple 4-panels and overlays of so many parameters, and hourly sounding data. Yes it can be quite maddening forecasting, and I don't blame anybody for going in ANY other direction, but at least there are some perks! :)

Thats funny as I was going to mention AWIPS which is an awesome tool and yes they are not available to the general public!

Archived