joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/5 Coastal Storm Obs/Discussion Thread

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well my dewpoints are dropping nicely.went from 47 to 38 in literally 3 hours,so i have no worries about rain a.t.m.when the precip comes down hard everything cools down fast esp away from the coast,my general accumulations are 3-5 inches for the city,6-8 just east.there is still some bust potential here so nothing set in stone just yet.

This is one of those spots where elevation definitely helps. Temps marginal at the sfc through much of this.

Best VVs are over the NYC metro with 850s well below.

NYC will easily be snowing and accumulating after only 1-2 hours. Nam has NYC below 32 half way thru.

Disagree that this is elevation based.

Best VVs are over the NYC metro with 850s well below.

NYC will easily be snowing and accumulating after only 1-2 hours. Nam has NYC below 32 half way thru.

Disagree that this is elevation based.

I'm not arguing snow or not, it's going to snow.  I'm arguing accumulations/ratios here.  Give me the under on the 10:1.  

I'm not arguing snow or not, it's going to snow. I'm arguing accumulations/ratios here. Give me the under on the 10:1.

That's fine. But the heaviest accumulations will be with the dynamics and right now that is NYC and east and especially over LI. Someone on LI with no elevation will jackpot.

I'm not arguing snow or not, it's going to snow. I'm arguing accumulations/ratios here. Give me the under on the 10:1.

There is no doubt if the 12z MOS guidance verified over NYC there wouldn't be much accumulation at all but my feeling is that it's running too warm, it tends to do so in these types of setups, for some reason it seems to always forecast that the low level cold air won't come in as fast as it does. I just don't buy that by 08Z LGA will be 41/29 on spread, if I had to guess I would say more 36/26

GFS is 7 inches of snow for LGA losing only .20 to rain on front end.

6.5" for OKX losing .45 to rain on front end.

Ukmet, which has had this event for days, just showed 22mm of precip. Take off 5-6mm due to slop and it's about 16-17mm of precip as snow or about 6"-8" of snow.

Warning level snow is very possible. Let's see the 12z euro. It should jump west again and be closer to the Ukmet.

There is no doubt if the 12z MOS guidance verified over NYC there wouldn't be much accumulation at all but my feeling is that it's running too warm, it tends to do so in these types of setups, for some reason it seems to always forecast that the low level cold air won't come in as fast as it does. I just don't buy that by 08Z LGA will be 41/29 on spread, if I had to guess I would say more 36/26

Mostly agree with you.

Archived