• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/5 Coastal Storm Obs/Discussion Thread

Zelocita Weather

JFK will probably do okay, the temps now are more within reach for a changeover to be legit at 09z. The measurement at the airport may come in low but the guy across the bay in Cederhurst will measure 5 or 6 in his backyard

Not really any arctic air (at the surface at least) plunging southeastward...its 41.5 F at Port Jeff and 34.5 F at Norfolk CT...70 miles to my north and perched at 1337 feet a.s.l.  Its going to snow...but in areas that traditionally struggle in these borderline temperature scenarios...odds are, they will be true to form.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about this exact storm today; I lived in queens at the time, not far from JFK. I can assure you 3-4" was a good measurement at JFK.

When I was young and under a similar situation I would stay up all night looking for the change over that never came.  Hopefully for you guys, it does!  Times have certainly changed, there was no internet then, no access to models by the average public, etc..

LGA dewpoint all the way down to 27 now. This front running precip sort of slows things down a bit, we saw this I believe with the super bowl event 2 years ago, some precip snuck in when we were trying to cool the DPs and everyone panicked but when the dry air is just north like that it's going to get pulled in. My only change right now maybe to delay the snow changeover to 10z in NYC but it could easily still come at 0830-09Z

LGA dewpoint all the way down to 27 now. This front running precip sort of slows things down a bit, we saw this I believe with the super bowl event 2 years ago, some precip snuck in when we were trying to cool the DPs and everyone panicked but when the dry air is just north like that it's going to get pulled in. My only change right now maybe to delay the snow changeover to 10z in NYC but it could easily still come at 0830-09Z

it was a Monday day after the Super Bowl. Monday February 3rd 2014 if I remember correctly. It was 64 degrees on that Super Bowl Sunday, Monday morning was raining and than it changed to heavy snow. It was a bit of a colder solution and different outcome. NYC ended up with 8 inches of nice snow!

I'm excited for tomorrow cause it'll be a heavy wet snow but I don't think we'll get 8 inches. 5 would be a great win!

Warmth is always overrated in the height of winter, with the heavy precip NYC/LGA WILL BE 30-33 and dumping.

Archived