• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The AnaFront/Coastal Storm Disco 02/05/16

Damage In Tolland

What do you base that statement off of? not saying i disagree by any means, just for learning purposes.

It's a really progressive and small low. Since we are now 24hrs closer to the storm any major jumps west are unlikely. With the nature of this system I'd argue it's possibly more likely it shifts east or southeast more than anything else.

In other words... We have entered a spectrum and range that can consist of a lot of model "noise". The general idea is in place but there will be small fluctuations and even weenie hallucinations run to run. In all reality it is just "noise". Once you get into about RGEM range that is usually the time it's close to narrowing the goal posts.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really progressive and small low. Since we are now 24hrs closer to the storm any major jumps west are unlikely. With the nature of this system I'd argue it's possibly more likely it shifts east or southeast more than anything else.

In other words... We have entered a spectrum and range that can consist of a lot of model "noise". The general idea is in place but there will be small fluctuations and even weenie hallucinations run to run. In all reality it is just "noise". Once you get into about RGEM range that is usually the time it's close to narrowing the goal posts.

cool thanks for the response man.

cool thanks for the response man.

Think of meteorology as a 100yd football field. 

Consider yourself on the final drive of the game. Locking in a solution a week out is akin to attempting a 90 yard field goal.  Once you get to around 72hr you are feeling confident but slightly iffy still. Once you get to 48hr major shifts are tough to come by. Once you are at hr 24 you have a solid idea on the general evolution of the storm. Inside of 24hrs you can start using the RGEM and other meso models with more solid confidence. That gives you a good idea how things are going to trend and you can start ironing out the final details. I would say 48hr is usually a pretty confident mark. This is why Scott but his met degree on this line last night. It looks like Kev might be red tagged. The longer you wait to kick your forecast into the air, better chance it has of hitting its target. Effectively could be called enlarging the goalposts for the forecaster. Narrowing the goal posts is a term that is used to describe models beginning toward consolidating toward a general solution; a compromise of what is likely going to happen.

However, these numbers all depend on the modeled storm. This one is definitely not traditional. It's not textbook. It's barely infact a storm. The scale upon which your confidence is based moves according to what storm is coming. One type of storm might give you more confidence in it's modeled solution at 72hr than another would at 48hr. I'm not sure if that makes complete sense or not. Basically every event confidence levels differ according to what type of storm we are tracking. 

Often these storms are modeled to hit good then start to look more and more meh as they approach and shift SE. However, we are now so close to the storm that places SE of BOS/PVD should feel pretty good. It's up in the air for BOS PVD and slightly north and west. It wouldn't take a large shift to give BOS a pretty unimpressive storm. 

However, these numbers all depend on the modeled storm. This one is definitely not traditional. It's not textbook. It's barely infact a storm. The scale upon which your confidence is based moves according to what storm is coming. One type of storm might give you more confidence in it's modeled solution at 72hr than another would at 48hr. I'm not sure if that makes complete sense or not. Basically every event confidence levels differ according to what type of storm we are tracking.

Yeah makes total sense. I have a pretty good feel on when to be confident on a storm. Consensus and such.

Wohoo! 100 posts!

Only 99,900 post to go. Im comming for you scott.  :whistle:

Whoever stays coldest in that area will obviously get a good head start. I'm always a bit too west for these and a bit to east when we get storms with taint.

I made a quick map. Put zero effort into the quality of the images' aesthetics.

I feel confident in the 4-8" zone. I could see the T-1" areas becoming virga. I could see the 2-4" becoming 1-3". I could see 3-5" becoming 2-4"

e6c8jc.png

I'm right inside the jackpot zones on both maps. Feeling confident of 4" + here. Not bad at all.

Edit to add: just noticed I'm under a WSW here now

Archived