• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

Here in VT, snowmobiling is managed by a number of local clubs and the association they belong to, VAST - Vermont Association of Snow Travelers a nonprofit. The money from trail passes is pooled and VAST contracts with each club to maintain trails. The contracts guarantee a minimum of 50% of their grooming payments regardless of the actual amount of grooming that gets done so there is some planning and protection for years like this. Even though VAST and the local clubs are not generating much money, they aren't spending much either. Obviously things are tough but right now we are most concerned about the small businesses such as restaurants, hotels etc. that depend on winter recreation as a large part of their income. The state will also suffer. I mentioned earlier that tax revenues fell quite a bit short of projections for January and I don't see how February will be any different.

It is similar, but not exactly the same in NH. I read that at the end of Jan, there were 19k sleds registered. Last year there were almost 50k. a big part of that registration money goes back to the clubs, so it is a huge loss.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still liking tonight for 2-4".

I think that is very plausible for the elevations. It looks like another rain event here after a little snow with some wind and a quick torch into at least the mid 40's. The ground will remain bare in the CPV after this one. Our hope is with next week's system, which cuts on the latest GFS op run and takes a good track on the Euro. The chance is there but so is the real possibility that it ends up like every other big ticket opportunity this winter.

3 weeks to the day since I last shaved, with no end in sight.  There were signs of hope with a week of small snowfalls and cold weather but alas, our hopes were dashed by a cruel cutter this past Tuesday. Still, we soldier on with our struggle to restore winter to the north, the sparseness of my beard ironically mimicking the  sparseness of our snowfall.

post-363-0-55406900-1455892946_thumb.jpg

1960-1961 was an epic winter for the mid Atlantic. It was also epic as close as interior SNE up into interior S NH (that was ORH's snowiest winter on record until 1992-1993)

Total disaster though at the picnic tables. Different from this year where all of New England save the south coast and Cape are having it rough.

1960-61 was suppression city for most of New England, while setting all time snow depth records in NNJ.

Drove along the Newfound Lake today.   The lake is 7 miles long, 4th or 5th largest lake in NH.  Anyways, what great ice conditions! After the torch the other day the little bit of snow melted and then refroze into glaze ice.  You could ice skate for miles!  Normally the lake freezes, there is a snowfall and the lake then has snow for the entire winter.  I don't think I have ever seen the lake with so much smooth ice that is thick enough for safe skating.  Tonights light snowfall could muck it up but perhaps it will be warm enough for that to melt creating a new layer of smooth ice for the begining of next week.  Then we have to deal with the midweek storm that will change conditions yet again.   I think I read something a couple of years ago about Loons landing on clear ice thinking it was water and then all died since they couldn't take off again.

Drove along the Newfound Lake today. The lake is 7 miles long, 4th or 5th largest lake in NH. Anyways, what great ice conditions! After the torch the other day the little bit of snow melted and then refroze into glaze ice. You could ice skate for miles! Normally the lake freezes, there is a snowfall and the lake then has snow for the entire winter. I don't think I have ever seen the lake with so much smooth ice that is thick enough for safe skating. Tonights light snowfall could muck it up but perhaps it will be warm enough for that to melt creating a new layer of smooth ice for the begining of next week. Then we have to deal with the midweek storm that will change conditions yet again. I think I read something a couple of years ago about Loons landing on clear ice thinking it was water and then all died since they couldn't take off again.

Love that area, have friends in a very old fashioned seasonal cabin on eastern shore. Well kept secret

Just another big cutter on the 18Z GFS.  Amazing winter or lack there of continues.

Eyewall,  the drone opens up a whole new world of photography doesn't it!!  Really interesting pictures and new perspectives.  Once we get a wet snow that clings to the trees (if it even happens this year) you will be able to get such great interesting shots looking down.  

Just another big cutter on the 18Z GFS.  Amazing winter or lack there of continues.

Eyewall,  the drone opens up a whole new world of photography doesn't it!!  Really interesting pictures and new perspectives.  Once we get a wet snow that clings to the trees (if it even happens this year) you will be able to get such great interesting shots looking down.  

Yeah I think I will have to wait for next year for that but it certainly does. 

Archived