joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I can tell you since I've been on the border of the GFS snowfall area for awhile. This run it came back southeast after the warmer 12z run. It's showing all snow up until the dry slot and then a brief period of ZR, then dry, then back to snow tail end snow showers.

The GFS sure has been consistent! We can't seem to get it much farther south here in Michigan. Instamaps are usually more generous with snowfall amounts... :P

The PW maps round off the edges, instant weather maps don't. The most important thing to take away is that the heavy snow moved close us both.

post-7389-0-66188800-1454107657_thumb.pn

Interesting...it actually moved the heavier snow a bit farther north in Michigan. That's less for me than many previous runs.

Kind of wondering why there is a break in the 12" amounts in eastern WI...

A slightly northward tug of the CMC track with the GFS' moisture would be the best. Might even get some lake enhanced snow if that could happen somehow. :weenie:

Edit: One thing that is really weird is that the track of the low is further north on this GFS run, but yet I pull over more snow than that run. ... I see it's colder at the surface.

I'm not throwing in the towel on a warning criteria event yet here.  Today's runs certainly weren't as much eye candy as last night's 00z/06z guidance, but things haven't changed enough to keep it from reverting back in that direction in subsequent runs.  If I were going with my gut I still think the best snows line up from Iowa into WI, with our area getting a decent advisory type snow.  This does look like one of the more rare systems (for this area) regarding front end snowfall.  Like I said a few nights ago we tend to have very short duration "thumps" before quickly mixing over to something else.  

Like Geos and others mentioned, it's going to be very entertaining from this point on now that the NAM gets to play.

Haha^ that or they should have named in Phil.

I don't think anyone north of Chicago or in Chicago should thrown in the towel yet. The system still doesn't get in for about 100 hours yet.

With the sleet and snowstorm there was some last minute tugs ( within 36 hours) to the east/southeast with the low.

Archived