joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A small portion of what will be the main storm is currently being sampled by the RAOB network in NW Washington State and British Columbia.

But it's not fully sampled yet and it won't be fully sampled until Monday at best.

The initial (Sunday's) wave was fully sampled for the 00z run though. 

Thanks for that.

Only got about 6 hours of sleep last night due to anxiety of the models, hoping that the GFS would shift southeast.  I checked the 6z GFS at 6:30 AM this morning and it shows mainly rain for us, but it takes the low right over Chicago and not over my head.  The 6z GEFS likely has the low over Chicago but has above freezing temps just to my southeast.  Either way, if I do get snow, it'll likely be of the cement kind.

Only got about 6 hours of sleep last night due to anxiety of the models, hoping that the GFS would shift southeast.  I checked the 6z GFS at 6:30 AM this morning and it shows mainly rain for us, but it takes the low right over Chicago and not over my head.  The 6z GEFS likely has the low over Chicago but has above freezing temps just to my southeast.  Either way, if I do get snow, it'll likely be of the cement kind.

I think your golden.

Hoping for snow, and then, hoping we don't get any.  I am thinking, based on all that has been posted here, that NE IL gets mostly rain, probably a little snow initially.  But, then, I could wind up being wrong, too.   

To no surprise, rain will be the precip type for the eastern flanks once again. Nothing new for the region this winter. Was hoping for a positive outcome for all of us but the truth is the southern jet is just overpowering the stale cold air from the north.

Strong El Nino at work...  Anyways, if I had a choice of 10+ inches of cement snow plus strong winds or cold rain plus strong winds, I would (surprisingly) take the cold rain as cement snow and winds do not mix at all, as was the case on December 20, 2012 and again on February 1, 2015.

I think your golden.

Yeah I don't think I'd pull out the I'd rather take wind driven rain over 10" of paste snow card just yet if was in cedar rapids. We all cope different ways though when we're nervous of being on the edge and wrong side of a cutter.

10" plus storms are just not that common enough in the Midwest unless you live in Chicago for me to pass it up just because it wouldn't blow around for me. Like I said though we all cope different and go through many mental stages leading up to go time

Unfortunately I think its getting ready to put its left blinker on last second and head our way for an unwanted visit.

I think for us to the east we hope for the best on the front end and enjoy the dryslot

Does not go north along lake Michigan. Probably into lower Michigan to Alpena.But is the NAM. Not to be trusted past 48 hours!

I'd rather get a dryslot than more pouring down rain. I've seen enough stupid rain this winter.

Sometimes the NAM does well...usually when it's off on its own against all the other models.

12z GFS snowfall total map has the gradient cutting right through Cedar Rapids.  Also, the 850 mb 0C line is right over Cedar Rapids.  In other words, it's going to be a whole lot of paste for me.

EDIT: One thing I'm really glad is that there isn't a strong arctic high in Canada like there was on December 28, 2015 or else this would be a nasty ice storm for many folks in this subforum.

Archived