joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

Ian

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long-term radar doesn't show the dry slot filling in. The fact that some people are relying on one model showing unrealistic totals shows desperation (though understandably so). DCA, at least, isn't getting more than 5" additional inches out of this storm. The show is all along the Appalachians.

Speak for yourself!

eta: About 5" more at dca would break the airport record! :snowman:

Highest totals I've seen:

... City of Winchester... (VA)

Winchester 30.0 1146 am 1/23 public

... Berkeley County... (WV)

1 SW Jones Springs 33.0 1130 am 1/23 trained spotter

Some places to the NW of the immediate DC metro are gonna blow past 40". Easily.

I think I'll make that number. I would have bet anything that I wouldn't get 30 but that's already in the rear view. Mind boggling.

All you people saying DC S&E will get snow again are on crack

Remember when models kept showing Wes' area getting deathbanded. Yeah, about that.........

Short range models weren't really any better than the globals on this storm. They were both pretty good but missed in spots.

18.0" as of 11:45AM.  Hard to measure, but that's what most of them were so I'll go with that.  Winds really brisk; can hear the roaring at the tops of the larger trees so it means business.  Stairs around the building have been rendered as ramps of snow.

According to radar, looks like where I'm at is right on the edge of the better stuff farther west.  Hope the heavier bands gradually progress east as the day goes on.

I've picked up 1" maybe 1.5" in the last 6 hours lol....Still a high impact event. I'm reminding myself that 96 flipped and 2003 flipped to driving sleet....Making me feel better...Hoping for another 3-4"

I'll meet you at a Nats game and beer is on me if you don't get at least 6 more.

I've picked up 1" maybe 1.5" in the last 6 hours lol....Still a high impact event. I'm reminding myself that 96 flipped and 2003 flipped to driving sleet....Making me feel better...Hoping for another 3-4"

The decent band is slowly pressing south while, surprisingly, decent bands continue to come in off the ocean. No giving up now!

Archived