• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

Haha I'm glad some people remember me! I still have a lot of family down in Greenville, SC so I'm always keeping an eye on the weather in my old stopping grounds. This really looks like a blockbuster for a large part of the area, and I always get excited for these events :)

I'll try to chime in from time to time the next couple of days as the storm unfolds, but grad school keeps me pretty busy these days. Have fun everyone! 

Thanks for moving your output to KCLT for the storm and the link post in the discussion thread! Outstanding! 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rant. Fishel's accumulation map is severely lacking. He left the majority of Wake as 1-3in like this mornings map with tiny hint of 3-6 on it. Only he verbally states he wouldn't be shocked to see anyone in Wake bump to 3-6. Well..... Why not make the map show this instead of just saying it? Other media and even the NWS doesn't match his.

I'm near Brier Creek and NWS says 3-8.5in for me.

Rant. Fishel's accumulation map is severely lacking. He left the majority of Wake as 1-3in like this mornings map with tiny hint of 3-6 on it. Only he verbally states he wouldn't be shocked to see anyone in Wake bump to 3-6. Well..... Why not make the map show this instead of just saying it? Other media and even the NWS doesn't match his.

because any sleet will greatly diminish our snow totals.  concerning me right now is the RAP pushes the snow line well N of us by 10am tomorrow, ahead of several other models.

btw im in brier creek as well.

Surface temps going above freezing around Raleigh is a real threat. Also with these setups the changeovers usually occur faster than modeled so it goes snow to sleet faster than they call for usually..you guys really need the front end thump to be stronger and last longer because once that coastal gets going there is a real chance surface temps get to 33-34 around Wake so its best to play it safe. People IMO are under estimating the WAA that a strong low like this is capable of doing and it would be much better if the models had it well offshore instead of right over the beaches.....its gonna be close for RDU. 

Take the GFS clown map and divide by 10 and it will be much closer to what actually occurs for mby lol.  I'm not falling for the clown map traps again this year.  I think the northern upstate will be a sleet fest and the southern/western upstate/ne ga will be where the major zn sets up.  The weather gods will smite me with sleet once again.

Johnny C, just showed all the model snowfall for GSP area:

GFS : 12-18"( lol) had a lollipop of 18-24" near TR

Nam : 4-8"

Euro: around 8"

RPM: 1-3

Johnny going with the RPM! Shocker

John Cessarich is always conservative so no surprise there. Always better to bet low and have the system over perform. Oh and he said the "American" models were over doing it. Hmmm...I didn't know the Euro was American. Learn something new everyday.

Fishel is terrible!!!!

Fishel explicitly said not to take the map literally and that the entire purpose was to illustrate that the general trend would be for more snow north and wet and less south and east. Small variations in the thermal profile will greatly affect totals. He said it is within the realm of possibility for someone near the airport to get half a foot of snow. He also said that he would update more specifically as the event begins to unfold. And now you have the rest of the story.

Fishel is terrible!!!!

Archived