joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's pretty horrible. They probably have to up the totals to the south and really pack in the gradient to the north. 

Though, I could see them leaving LNS/York around 18" just because of uncertainty 

I think CTP might have been better off continuing that 24" zone from LWX through southern Lancaster and York, cutting it back to 18 maybe 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of each county. We all know that Shrewsbury is going to get buried due to elevation.

New warnings up

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA 
528 PM EST THU JAN 21 2016 

PAZ033>036-056-057-059-063>066-221030- 
/O.CON.KCTP.WS.W.0001.160123T0000Z-160124T1200Z/ 
SOMERSET-BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-PERRY-DAUPHIN-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND- 
ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER- 
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOMERSET...BEDFORD...MCCONNELLSBURG... 
CHAMBERSBURG...NEWPORT...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...LEBANON... 
CARLISLE...GETTYSBURG...YORK...LANCASTER 
528 PM EST THU JAN 21 2016 

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM FRIDAY TO 
7 AM EST SUNDAY... 

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES OVER THE NORTHERN PORTION OF 
THE WARNING AREA...WITH 12 INCHES TO AS MUCH AS 2 FEET ALONG THE 
MARYLAND BORDER. 

* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 
MPH...WHICH WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE 
SNOW...AND COULD CAUSE NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES. 

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING. 
THE PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW WILL BE LATER FRIDAY EVENING 
THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF AND END LATE 
SATURDAY NIGHT. 

* IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. SIGNIFICANT 
BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. 

Seriously to AllWeather, MAG and all the others here are forecast for a living - God bless you. Forecasting this for the Dauphin/Cumberland/York county metro, which is a pretty sizeable area in both geographic and population densities, seems like an impossible task really.

I think I have a few new grey hairs now.

A little strange CTP has no snow forecast measurement predictions in the zone forecasts (i.e. when you enter your zip code). We're about 30 hours out.

they don't know and are hesitant to make a call because of the uncertainty. Mine has friday totals, but sat is blank.

I think CTP's main game right now is getting the second tier figured out; Cambria, Blair, Huntingdon, Juniata. They must feel very confident in the lower tier to make these calls but their products are showing 12+ in parts of Huntingdon and very southern Juniata and the Watch still stands.

I, personally, think they're either going to look really good or really, really bad.

Their own products don't even match:

Notice this map has Lancaster proper in the 18-24 zone while their other map has Lancaster at 16.

Because the map you posted is from the WPC, not CTP

It's very obvious their extremely unsure about this, but they really need to fix the southern counties. 

These are ALL the combined WFO maps on one graphic.

LWX and CTP need a conference call lol 

0b25d33218de7d3a5352ed6f5ee13701.png

Why not man? This thing obviously has a ton of juice, and amounts like the GFS is showing have been just south of us for the past 3 days. Maybe it's not likely...but I think it's possible 2' of snow COULD fall up our way. 

I lived in Philly for the 1996 storm, listening to Eliott Abrams increasing the totals every couple hours, and know first hand that the area in PA, east of the mountains, is one of the best as to potential for the biggest of storms. That GFS map is a classic and should be put in the LSV hall of fame but it is not totally unrealistic. A stalled storm sitting S/E of the area can pump snow onto the LSV at 2"/hr rates.

I lived in Philly for the 1996 storm, listening to Eliott Abrams increasing the totals every couple hours, and know first hand that the area in PA, east of the mountains, is one of the best as to potential for the biggest of storms. That GFS map is a classic and should be put in the LSV hall of fame but it is not totally unrealistic. A stalled storm sitting S/E of the area can pump snow onto the LSV at 2"/hr rates.

Correct. I remember the 83' storm doing the same thing. 2 days out I was forecasted to get up to 4" and ended up with an even 2'. 

Why not man? This thing obviously has a ton of juice, and amounts like the GFS is showing have been just south of us for the past 3 days. Maybe it's not likely...but I think it's possible 2' of snow COULD fall up our way.

Well, i think you have a better shot at that then Harrisburg.

And my none weather wife just said same as you.

Because the map you posted is from the WPC, not CTP

I meant NWS as a whole, not just CTP. I understand it's a bureaucracy and they're prone to such things, but is a little coordination too much to ask for? Probably don't have the manpower for it, since weather forecasting isn't exactly a budget priority.

Archived