SnowHabit
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

114hr

huElxwX.gif

Not sure how the depth is done.  Really, should be looking at precip instead of any of the derived snow products anyway.

attachicon.gifUSA_APCPIPER_sfc_120.gif

Honestly how does this suck?  Its like 2" of liquid all snow.  This is how PHL posters get a bad name in other forums....sour grapes. Yes its not 30" like DC but that bullseye has been moving from NOVA to CPA to MD.....all over the place.  This is going to be big for us in the DE Valley.

apparently a top 10 snowstorm in philly history "sucks" :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all relative every hardcore weenie in the area would love to see a 96 repeat, we have been treated to near a dozen fantasy runs showing it and now it certainly looks to be keying in on the DC area for this. Most understand it's over 72hrs and could and will change but enjoy living and dying on every run.

JB mentioned this AM to watch for that heavier QPF to start moving to the NE over time - I think the western burbs from BWI to NYC will be the big winners with this one....but of course all will be winners in a relative manner

Yep!!

It's already on the move NE from earlier runs...

With this run's 18", I've got that prestorm "gittery/anxious" feeling for the first time this AM...

Great sign‼️‼️

It's all relative every hardcore weenie in the area would love to see a 96 repeat, we have been treated to near a dozen fantasy runs showing it and now it certainly looks to be keying in on the DC area for this. Most understand it's over 72hrs and could and will change but enjoy living and dying on every run.

with the warm ocean temps, I think we see a N jog putting S PA as the jackpot with SEPA/CNJ getting 18-24" especially with how good the jet looks.I expect precip to increase as we get closer due to that. The GFS precip shield just doesn't match 700 mb imo. even if none of what I just said doesn't occur, this is still going to be a monster storm for the area.

Just listening to HM right now, and he's saying there's a second big one coming next week. Is this the exact same set up as Feb 6, 2010 and Feb 10, 2010?

I was in college down in DC for those two massive back-to-back ones....I honestly have never seen so much snow with the combination of both.

From what I could see from the 6z GFS yeah looks like another system around the 28th

He is leaving ne philly to go 'chase'. Why do u need to chase when the storm with big numbers is literally coming to you?

16" is pedestrian HECS stuff, He is chasing 96  :lol:  seriously there is nothing wrong with that mountain climbers always look for something bigger to climb, etc. But it's premature to assume where the jackpot will be.

Well, we knew it was inevitable after models were spitting out 3 feet or more that they would start coming back to reality eventually. These are still HUGE hits 3 days out on the models. You knew it was just a matter of time before people started saying this storm is a fail, is average, etc. Smh...lol.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

16" is pedestrian HECS stuff, He is chasing 96 seriously there is nothing wrong with that mountain climbers always look for something bigger to climb, etc. But it's premature to assume where the jackpot will be.

Precisely. No model pinpointed philly as ground zero with 30" in 96 from what i recall. All depends on where the best banding sets up.

The1996 analog was just invoked on TWC by their mid range guy. I don't know if he was referring to totals or wide spread major impacts though. 1996 is a hard storm to equal in this area. Still the only 30" plus storm I ever witnessed.r I don't think it will happen. Temps were in the teens during most of that storm.

Could someone tell me if this is correct:

An earlier/ further south cutoff would mean the best dynamics are felt further south, and the storm loses its poleward motion earlier. A later/further north cutoff brings better dynamics north, but introduces a greater threat of mixing/rain to the coastal plain. 

Could someone tell me if this is correct:

An earlier/ further south cutoff would mean the best dynamics are felt further south, and the storm loses its poleward motion earlier. A later/further north cutoff brings better dynamics north, but introduces a greater threat of mixing/rain to the coastal plain. 

True

Archived