Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the maps being posted in the MA forum have temp issues, especially in sepa.

EDIT they were surface temps nudging close/above 32°

We always have mixing issues with the big ones in SEPA. It is inevitable. I believe 96 mixed for a period which I can deal with. Dont need a PD2 repeat tho where we sleeted for hour upon hour. We can hash out those details Thursday. Just know for now, as Im sure you do, that this is common.

We always have mixing issues with the big ones in SEPA. It is inevitable. I believe 96 mixed for a period which I can deal with. Dont need a PD2 repeat tho where we sleeted for hour upon hour. We can hash out those details Thursday. Just know for now, as Im sure you do, that this is common.

'96 there was zero mixing, but during PDII we had mixing issues really cut into totals. All we need is a nudge east and all should be OK.

Temper your expectations people. Expect a 4-8" snowfall and if we get more, savor every second. The numbers that the numerical models are spitting out are insane and quite frankly, unlikely to verify to that extreme (42"+?...seriously?). I expect a decent storm but also expect snowfall totals on the models to begin getting more realistic at 12z Wednesday after the energy comes onshore and is better sampled. Im a snow weenie among snow weenies and want 3-4 feet more than anyone, but realistically speaking, those kinds of totals are unlikely...so rare it would take perfect perfect perfect conditions. If we are within 12 hours and models still are extreme, then game on. But until then...its all rainbows and unicorns.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Temper your expectations people. Expect a 4-8" snowfall and if we get more, savor every second. The numbers that the numerical models are spitting out are insane and quite frankly, unlikely to verify to that extreme (42"+?...seriously?). I expect a decent storm but also expect snowfall totals on the models to begin getting more realistic at 12z Wednesday after the energy comes onshore and is better sampled. Im a snow weenie among snow weenies and want 3-4 feet more than anyone, but realistically speaking, those kinds of totals are unlikely...so rare it would take perfect perfect perfect conditions. If we are within 12 hours and models still are extreme, then game on. But until then...its all rainbows and unicorns.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I can't wait until the first televised snowmap that's normally my gauge. Its easy for me to get roped into the 42" RDG jackpot. I've never hit a big jackpot during my time on this forum. 

Two Questions:

1. What snow ratio are we expecting for the main event?

2. Why do we tend to get capped around 24" ? We've had No'resters that produce 3.00+ in the fall, so why have we never really exceeded 2' (exception for lollipop locations and 1996, of course), especially when you can potentiate the QPF with a high snow ratio?

Agreed. I can't wait until the first televised snowmap that's normally my gauge. Its easy for me to get roped into the 42" RDG jackpot. I've never hit a big jackpot during my time on this forum.

Nice! Trust me, Im not trying to be a Debbie Downer but there is still a ways to go until this hits. Plenty of changes are possible. Just expect 1/4 of what models are showing right now and you will be fine...,perhaps even pleasantly surprised. I still have the extremely bitter and sour tastes of March 2001 and January 2015 in my mouth.

Archived