joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models have been remarkably consistent. I feel really good about this, as we are now basically 100 hours to start of the event. 

100 hours is a lot of time in the world of forecasting.  a little difference in timing going forward could mean a totally different outcome.  You still have 8 12 hr model suites to make it through.   You still need to tread lightly and not get yourself invested just yet.  Wait until 12z runs tomorrow at the earliest IMO.  I am waiting until 0Z weds personally. 

100 hours is a lot of time in the world of forecasting.  a little difference in timing going forward could mean a totally different outcome.  You still have 8 12 hr model suites to make it through.   You still need to tread lightly and not get yourself invested just yet.  Wait until 12z runs tomorrow at the earliest IMO.  I am waiting until 0Z weds personally.

believe me I know. I'm still very concerned. Always am when there are so many factors coming together. But man this could be awesome

believe me I know. I'm still very concerned. Always am when there are so many factors coming together. But man this could be awesome

The potential is quite impressive.  I don't recall at this lead-time every seeing the models all showing such an intense storm.  I guess it's partially due to the resolution capabilities of the models these days being much more able to see the potential at longer lead-times.  Probably also why they seem to always show monster storms out in fantasy range.  

If it is any consolation, the normally progressive NAVGEM is an inside runner with quite a bit non-frozen:

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_21.png

I suppose what I am saying is, until we have a clearer picture of the track maybe by 12Z Wed/0Z Thurs, I would take any shifts with a grain of salt. At that time, I would start watching for clear trends, but still a little early to get concerned one way or the other. Plus, do you think you are going to remain in the bullseye for the next 7-8 Euro runs with zero fluctuation?

Hang in there.....steady as she goes! :)

Looks an awful lot like the 0z gfs para

"The storm formed in the Gulf of Mexico the morning of the 6th, moved south of Alabama the evening of the 6th, reached Savannah, Georgia the morning of the 7th, Cape Hattaras the evening of the 7th, just east of the Delaware Bay the morning of the 8th, and the southern New England coastal waters the evening of the 8th.  This was a classic storm track for heavy snow." 

Archived