• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

The GFS worries me for northern areas. It took a fairly large jump south with the northern extent of the precip shield from 12z. Another shift like that and we're on the cutoff in the Lehigh Valley.

I'm assuming the GFS has the LHV under the CCB hence the crushing on 18z. But just one run before that CCB was in NEPA, now there is nada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18-20 on GFS. To be honest EURO didn't really worry me too much. As bluehens said, the GFS has been pretty consistent. Doesn't mean it won't change or that it's totally right, but I'm leaning towards the GFS. We might trend a bit more south now, but I feel like the EURO will go to a more GFS solution, but the EURO has been the leader of trends if I'm remembering correctly. Tomorrow will be a big model day, and I'm a bit pumped.

WE`VE DISCUSSED THE 12Z/19 SE OF ENSEMBLE MEAN 12Z ECMWF AND UKMET.
WE NOTED WITHIN THE ECMWF ENSEMBLES THAT AT LEAST 7 OR 8 MEMBERS
HAD THE LOW MUCH FURTHER SOUTH OF ENSEMBLE CLUSTERED MEAN. THAT
SUGGESTS TO US THAT THIS RUN OF THE ECMWF WILL BE A RELATIVE OUTLIER
TO THE VERY ROBUST NEWD MOVING GEFS.

THEREFORE, WE STAY ON COURSE, ONLY BEING A LITTLE MORE CAREFUL
ABOUT WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN N OF I-78.

TIMING, AXIS AND AMOUNTS OF HEAVIEST PCPN, THE PERSISTENT LOCATION
OF THE RAIN SNOW LINE, AS WELL AS STRONGEST WIND GUSTS ALONG THE
COASTS STILL REMAIN WITH A VARIETY OF POSSIBILITIES.

From Mt Holly AFD http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=o

The GFS worries me for northern areas. It took a fairly large jump south with the northern extent of the precip shield from 12z. Another shift like that and we're on the cutoff in the Lehigh Valley.

This - 50 mile shift south this run, still great for everybody Lehigh Valley south but wiggle room is down to zero on it

Those insanity 40" amounts are now 30 miles SE of DC! some NW of DC are not happy. Follow the ever moving bullseye.

Someone once said that the latitude where a storm enters the West Coast is generally the same latitude where it will exit the East Coast. Not sure if there is any truth to this, but that would yield an exit around the DelMarVa peninsula approximately. That would ultimately spell some pretty good news in our region. Lots of time to go, keep expectations low but hope for the best!

f41f3ed033e4e49ddcd666b7a700bea3.jpg

Just a thought, but I think it is unprecedented to have a KU storm jackpot DC and not hit PHL pretty good.  I know the Knickerbocker storm wasn't as strong in PHL but it was still a big hit.  That doesn't mean we have to get as much snow as DC/Baltimore/VA, but it is pretty hard for us to whiff in that setup.

Just a thought, but I think it is unprecedented to have a KU storm jackpot DC and not hit PHL pretty good.  I know the Knickerbocker storm wasn't as strong in PHL but it was still a big hit.  That doesn't mean we have to get as much snow as DC/Baltimore/VA, but it is pretty hard for us to whiff in that setup.

I can't give you the exact date, but in 2009/10 before we began to cash in Balt/DC got slammed and we were fringed with flurries. I'm guessing this was late Jan 2010.

I can't give you the exact date, but in 2009/10 before we began to cash in Balt/DC got slammed and we were fringed with flurries. I'm guessing this was late Jan 2010.

February 5, 2010? Phl got about 25 inches ,give or take. I know there was a sharp cutoff, but  I can't imagine landsdale only got flurries??

February 5, 2010? Phl got about 25 inches ,give or take. I know there was a sharp cutoff, but  I can't imagine landsdale only got flurries??

No, this was probably a week or two before that. In fact, there was a funny (not so much at the time) visible sat photo posted by Q'town showing the snow cover over all of the NE, except for SE PA. Fortunately our luck turned in early Feb and the rest of that winter rocked.

No, this was probably a week or two before that. In fact, there was a funny (not so much at the time) visible sat photo posted by Q'town showing the snow cover over all of the NE, except for SE PA. Fortunately our luck turned in early Feb and the rest of that winter rocked.

im not sure you are remembering the right winter, even before the two February storms, we had a massive snowstorm in december, which gave about 20 inches plus to the area.   I dont think we needed our luck to turn around.  In any event, my point was to big storms, i know there are smaller ones that can slide south of us and hit DC area.

im not sure you are remembering the right winter, even before the two February storms, we had a massive snowstorm in december, which gave about 20 inches plus to the area.   I dont think we needed our luck to turn around.  In any event, my point was to big storms, i know there are smaller ones that can slide south of us and hit DC area.

It was 1/30/2010. Looks like Philly got about 2" while DC picked up 6.5". I thought they got more than that (probably because Ji was trolling us!).

But yeah, I guess I kind of helped make your point about DC getting KU'ed while we sat high and dry. Keep hope alive!

Archived