joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the end results are fairly similar, but how it gets there is different. i just don't like to trash people for their ideas, I don't really know Mike Masco's work well, but i'm in no position to say he is wrong or bad at his job.

The fact that you live in Philly and don't know who he is speaks volumes. His Fox 29 met. He's not good and I'll just say it.

the end results are fairly similar, but how it gets there is different. i just don't like to trash people for their ideas, I don't really know Mike Masco's work well, but i'm in no position to say he is wrong or bad at his job.

Do not mistake my feelings about him as me thinking the GFS is ultimately right I just have read some of his blabber over the past 5+ years and he's not very good. He's also in like his third city in 5 years so that doesn't say much either.

Ralph is good people. He'll be up all night.

These damn storms kill me...getting too old for this shiet.

Oh yeah...the storm? Who knows?

Well, up off-and-on all night :-)

Just awoke from my slumber and after taking a quick peek at guidance just wanted to say I feel a lot more comfy at this hour. To steal a phrase from my buddy DT, my "first call" coming after 12z as I've been saying since last week. We need to wait until all players are on the field before committing to anything while tempering expectation all-the-while.

Might stay up for Euro if I can keep my eyes open, otherwise see you at some random hour in the middle of the night :-)

I mean when looking at model map times not when models come out.

If the snow is starting at 12z that would mean..... Ya know what I mean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw mike masco reporting feedback problems 5489a580b797dbd0a3a0db8cff78a402.jpg056aabf6da101052e399ce419e770e37.jpg

Two issues I see with the GFS:

1. The storm is so dynamic it is literally firing bands of thundersnow and extremely heavy convection yielding zones of subsidence at times alongside the convective activity. This is slightly skewing qpf total. If anything, verbatim on this run based on o50 level winds, 700mb rh, and 500mb vorticity and dynamics as well as surface low track....qpf could actually be slightly underdone

and

2. There is convective feedback well off the coast which is, possibly in error, causing a second lp to form (dual low look) and rushing the system ENE. If anything, again nased on factors mentioned above, the storm could stall and/or move slightly slower than the center jump that is shown here.

Fact that the 00z UK is extremely south worries me about the ECM, usually follows its path. 

Im not worried about the ensemble members of the GFS, with so many there will always be variance in the solutions.  The UKMET is a good model, IMO, though, so I do take that as a caution.

to be fair, the ggem is not as good for our area as the gfs, and does not have the same evolution (it seems to be playing with the idea of two low's again) EDIT-it is still pretty darn good.

I really am starting to think this center jump quickly ENE is more a convective feedback issue/noise than anything else. Models are going to struggle nailing down 100% a storm with such dynamics imho. Gonna be more of a nowcasting thing come Saturday in regards to movement quickly ENE or a stall/slow mover. Maybe we will get answers sooner, likely not.

The gfs could very well be close to being correct when all is said and done. Would like to wait until 12z to decide this, which gives 2 more Euro runs as well. I still do urge caution to anyone hugging the gfs alone and ignoring ens means and other data. With that said, dont be surprised if the 6z gfs comes in a little farther south and/or slightly drier/weaker. 0z is an extreme solution....not impossible as it does have 'some' support from the ggem, but expect some fluctuations and shifts next several runs as 0z was/is about as perfect as you can get for us.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Archived