SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.7 for Blue Bell/Lansdale area. Not biblical, but it's doubled from the last run, and we're back in the game.

Many a page back, I mentioned I get greedy with these types of storms - and usually, we get nice surprises via banding during the Nowcast. I'll sleep well tonight - the trend has been bucked.

Miller A FTW!

Definitely a warm level in there based on howling winds off the ocean as well as moving much slower, the antecedent cold airmass had more time to modify. We definitely dont want this to move any slower, tho the Euro is clearly the extreme solution attm irt timing.

Take the North shift and run with it. We can hammer out details later. Still a 3+ day away event as per the Euro. Its like that dream where you are chasing something but it stays the same distance out of your reach. Lets hope this dream has a happy ending!

Real wonky snow map - Dr No has some kinda serious grudge against us SEPA peeps

0zECMjan202016_zpstkjetr7o.jpg

Verbatim, that would rival the great Valentine's Day sleet storm from 07(?). Lots of mixing even well inland is what that map implies based on liquid equivalent maps. This model goes from nearly missing us completely to coming so far North at a crawl to give us mixing issues in just one run. Crazy unpredictable storm on our hands!

Took the day off from tracking (I was getting too emotionally invested). Almost cancelled winter with the 12z Euro earlier. Looks like things are back on track somewhat. What is the best model to look at for severe weather that can also be used for snow storms? My theory is it will do the well because of these wildcat storm dynamics. Nice thread folks lots of quotable quotes but I chose not to address them here. As long as the track is fine we will be fine. Anticipating thundersnow accumulations could create some big local jackpots scattered all about. As it stands my forecast for RDG is 7-11" with local amounts reaching as high as 16" or more. Last few runs of the GFS make me feel confident about the SC PA and far NW burbs and I-83 corridor.

I think Jonas is an ok name. Just think of Jonas the whale. This is gonna be a whale of a storm I kinda like it despite how dumb I think naming winter storms is lol. Been at work all night I'm glad to see the Euro came back north some. Now we have a few days to see where this sleet/rain/snow line will setup.

I think Jonas is an ok name. Just think of Jonas the whale. This is gonna be a whale of a storm I kinda like it despite how dumb I think naming winter storms is lol. Been at work all night I'm glad to see the Euro came back north some. Now we have a few days to see where this sleet/rain/snow line will setup.

I'm sorry and I hope I don't offend any fans, but when I hear Jonas I immediately envision the Jonas Brothers and they are pretty lame and kind of on the sensitive side. I have always been opposed to TWC naming these storms. If the NWS concocted a naming system however, I would be more inclined to embrace it. But you cant name every single event like weak clippers, etc. Needs to be a low-end limit/criteria for naming... kind of how with tropical systems the winds need to exceed a certain sustained speed.

I'm sorry and I hope I don't offend any fans, but when I hear Jonas I immediately envision the Jonas Brothers and they are pretty lame and kind of on the sensitive side. I have always been opposed to TWC naming these storms. If the NWS concocted a naming system however, I would be more inclined to embrace it. But you cant name every single event like weak clippers, etc. Needs to be a low-end limit/criteria for naming... kind of how with tropical systems the winds need to exceed a certain sustained speed.

TWC needs to use the MST3K names from Space Mutiny - I'd get on board with Storm Big McLargeHuge. Anyway, nontropical storms are best named after the fact, when their full impact is known, or simply by a descriptor and year since the impact is made memorable, e.g. March 93 Superstorm, Ash Wednesday Storm of 62, Blizzard of 96, etc. Tropical storms have a defined set of criteria that warrant a name even if the only thing they ever impact are shipping interests.

In conclusion, TWC trying to name storms is like trying to make fetch happen. It's not going to happen.

Archived