• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

WinterWxLuvr

18z GFS has joined the EURO camp with that stupid ULL that gets cut off from the rest of the flow.

I'm glad it has a storm. So at 6 days it's temp profile is off. That said if that happens like that, classic track and still a driving rain storm then it's an epic fail. It's not like there is a cutter ruining the mid levels it's just all the cold vacates the east 24 hours before the storm.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad it has a storm. So at 6 days it's temp profile is off. That said if that happens like that, classic track and still a driving rain storm then it's an epic fail. It's not like there is a cutter ruining the mid levels it's just all the cold vacates the east 24 hours before the storm.

I agree, problem is the EURO has been showing this for multiple runs now and now the GFS joins it, hard to get excited. We were already trying to thread a needle.

In other lulsy news, the 288-300hr GFS goes absolutely HAM over the region with a blizzard

Ian can I start a thread?

post-8091-0-47697500-1452898947_thumb.gi

Here's the thing with this late next week foolishness....right now, we should be glad whatever model shows a storm in our vicinity in that time range.   I'm kinda encouraged by the 18z GFS knowing that the chances of something getting pinched off like that are slim...but seeing as though we need the wave to be progressive and with out luck, this will be the first.

Here's the thing with this late next week foolishness....right now, we should be glad whatever model shows a storm in our vicinity in that time range.   I'm kinda encouraged by the 18z GFS knowing that the chances of something getting pinched off like that are slim...but seeing as though we need the wave to be progressive and with out luck, this will be the first.

Yeah, it's crap to see what the 18Z did verbatim, of course, but it's out there in time still.  Almost looks like what the Euro did the other day, cutting off like that and "waiting" for the cold air to run away.  At least there's a storm, it's not showing some weird sheared out system, which I'll take as sort of positive.

The storm on the 27th, ugh 12 days out, has a nice look to it as it approaches the MA but even that one doesn't want to go too far up the coastline like a typical coastal or nor'easter. Can't seem to get it right this year.

Almost looks like how next Friday's system looked at 12Z yesterday (if that makes any sense!).  Well, active weather at least.

Looking at the 18z GEFS, there's a big spread of scenarios from cutters, Miller As, Miller Bs, and Apps runners. Potential is there to track. Sorry for the multiple images but there's spread amongst the members of the timing of the storm too. I skipped a few panels in between as this gives you the general gist. 131e920f6c65d97a7343bc15da503a32.jpgb20155c9c27d69b8d367140a178ee237.jpg44edca8e519b50ac0b96f345d9bc2f4b.jpgf4db10746e487c4c98b1b5dac2b054ab.jpg86c468b443ba3a7dce76ea272d75bf25.jpg

Thanks for doing that. Everything on the table. We can maybe hope for some front end action. Which I am a fan of...back end action usually leaves you with nothing good.

Looking at the 18z GEFS, there's a big spread of scenarios from cutters, Miller As, Miller Bs, and Apps runners. Potential is there to track. Sorry for the multiple images but there's spread amongst the members of the timing of the storm too. I skipped a few panels in between as this gives you the general gist.

131e920f6c65d97a7343bc15da503a32.jpgb20155c9c27d69b8d367140a178ee237.jpg44edca8e519b50ac0b96f345d9bc2f4b.jpgf4db10746e487c4c98b1b5dac2b054ab.jpg86c468b443ba3a7dce76ea272d75bf25.jpg

We need the storm to come under us. Almost all of those panels are way to warm, unfortunately. But as you correctly said, definitely worth tracking.

Ralph I guess my point was that unless I am wrong I don't think the EURO has showed even a fantasy snow event in multiple runs. Even for tonight's current storm it backed off relatively quick in the med/LR and the GFS did hang around for a bit to give us digital snow. The GFS also was showing a snowstorm with Sunday's event like 4-5 days out while the EURO never did. 

I mean it is possible the EURO hasn't been better when doing a statistical analysis...I'm just going off the digital snow observation vs. reality. 

If there is some miracle tonight & the EURO shows a snowstorm for the Thurs-Fri event I'd get extremely excited. 

I think we have seen enough this year to say that things are skewed warm and it is likely due to the super nino enhanced pacific jet. Even when we have all the indices in a good phase its a fight just to get a week to end up average temps. That jet is always there ready to flood warm air into the pattern. If things do line up bad, (+NAO+EPO-PNA) for instance we would probably torch again bad. That said we are heading into a period that is our prime snow climo and historically when a nino can produce if it is going to at all. I think our chances of any sustained true cold is pretty low, a day or two here or there maybe but anything more is a lost cause IMO. As for snow, I think our best chances are to get something like feb 87 or march 58, both storms that happened in periods that werent really cold. It was 50 the day before and 70 a day after march 58 and 50s either side of 87. As the jet relaxes later in winter we can hope to get a decent stj system to undercut the ridging and if there is some high pressure north of us at the time we can get a wet snowstorm that way. Something where its 45-50 the day before but just cold enough for snow with a good track. If we can get the ridging to pull back to the NW a little bit that isn't hard to imagine. Need some luck though.

Many thanks

A wholly different solution. I like the fact that something is still on the map I guess.

It's becoming pretty simple and clear. Get something under us and not cutoff and see what shakes out.

The big cold high that gave us wiggle room seems to have become a little lamb after being advertised as a lion.

Unfortunately it seems like our chances at the right setup for accum snow remain below 50/50 for now.

Archived