joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowpack Where you Live

TugHillMatt

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mild temps yesterday slowly melted the snowpack, but it was the evening rain (0.30") that did the deed. So pissed that a pointless one day rainstorm and warmup destroyed the winter wonderland, but lasting snow depth simply doesn't happen in a strong nino, & I knew that going in. Calling depth 1", but plenty of bare spots. The drifty nature of this week is especially apparent now that most of it has melted. Just enough snow to remind you it is winter, but not enough to do anything with.

This silly one day warm up has decimated the snowpack across the southern half of lower Michigan. Still at least 6 inches of snow on the ground here, after having over a foot yesterday. Lake effect fluff melts ridiculously fast. 8 days of snow disappears after 1 day of warmth.

We essentially went from a half foot to a patchy cover.

The mild temps yesterday slowly melted the snowpack, but it was the evening rain (0.30") that did the deed. So pissed that a pointless one day rainstorm and warmup destroyed the winter wonderland, but lasting snow depth simply doesn't happen in a strong nino, & I knew that going in. Calling depth 1", but plenty of bare spots. The drifty nature of this week is especially apparent now that most of it has melted. Just enough snow to remind you it is winter, but not enough to do anything with.

We essentially went from a half foot to a patchy cover.

Meh. This routine of the snowpack taking a bigger hit than expected during these thaws/rain events happens more often than we give credit to. 

if there's any good news for those who are unhappy about this, the lake effect clouds should help to keep sublimation of the drifts and shovel/plow piles to a minimum. 

Meh. This routine of the snowpack taking a bigger hit than expected during these thaws/rain events happens more often than we give credit to. 

if there's any good news for those who are unhappy about this, the lake effect clouds should help to keep sublimation of the drifts and shovel/plow piles to a minimum. 

I agree. As Hoosier said, when a thaw of any kind is on the way pessimism is the way to go regards to snowpack. It hasnt mattered in recent years because theres been so much deep snowpack. Realistically, an "average" snowpack will mostly melt during a typical thaw.

• 3 weeks later...

With potentially a more snowy pattern coming, I thought I would rehash this thread.

So, in driving around today, I'd say we still have more snow cover than I thought we did after this thaw. Probably about 70% snow cover still, consisting of a couple inches of ice and snow.

I was only about 75 miles north of your area this past weekend and there was at least 20" of snow in the high ground south of Mesick.

I was only about 75 miles north of your area this past weekend and there was at least 20" of snow in the high ground south of Mesick.

Mesick is over 100 miles away. :) This winter has been wretched in this area...especially when compared to about Baldwin and north. No snow until the New Year, two weeks of snow, and then the past two weeks have just been one assault after another on the snow we did pick up. Snow completely disappears just south of here towards Grand Rapids and Holland.

Mesick is over 100 miles away. :) This winter has been wretched in this area...especially when compared to about Baldwin and north. No snow until the New Year, two weeks of snow, and then the past two weeks have just been one assault after another on the snow we did pick up. Snow completely disappears just south of here towards Grand Rapids and Holland.

I was about 20 miles south of Mesick Saturday and there was 20" or more of snow so that's not very far to go from looking like the dead of winter to Spring is almost here type weather. You would think with the lake wide open like it is that your area would have been getting some good lake effect snow being so close to the lake. The northern lower towns close to lake MI don't seem to be doing to bad compared to average snow fall wise.

I was about 20 miles south of Mesick Saturday and there was 20" or more of snow so that's not very far to go from looking like the dead of winter to Spring is almost here type weather. You would think with the lake wide open like it is that your area would have been getting some good lake effect snow being so close to the lake. The northern lower towns close to lake MI don't seem to be doing to bad compared to average snow fall wise.

It's been one low after another moving too far north to give us much...and with such a lack of cold air available this winter, there hasn't been much instability to perk up lake effect snow. Then, all of the synoptic systems have been passing overhead, giving those just north some snow, while we get mixed crap or rain. It's just been a pissy winter around here. You can tell the difference mile by mile heading north to south though. Like I said, I have SOME snowcover here, while Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, etc... don't have really any left.

So excited to get out of this snowless hell.

Da Youpee?

It's been one low after another moving too far north to give us much...and with such a lack of cold air available this winter, there hasn't been much instability to perk up lake effect snow. Then, all of the synoptic systems have been passing overhead, giving those just north some snow, while we get mixed crap or rain. It's just been a pissy winter around here. You can tell the difference mile by mile heading north to south though. Like I said, I have SOME snowcover here, while Allendale, Grand Rapids, Holland, etc... don't have really any left.

Da Youpee?

Made that a couple days ago. The only sucky thing -- Friday and Saturday will not get above zero. Saturday will be around -10F at 2pm, low of -29F.

Most-likely-loop-1024x545.jpg

The route is still up in the air. I'm not exactly thrilled that all the fresh snow is in the UP. Getting snow reports in northern Ontario isn't easy, I'm forced to rely on satellite.

I just heard on the news that Painesdale in Keweenaw has a snow depth of 44".  highest in the US east of the rockies.  still around 30" here.  last March I peaked at 52".  don't think that's in the cards this year.

Archived