joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2016 Disco/Obs: A New Year, A New Pattern

Rjay

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC was able to really maximize the snow production this month with the small amount of

cold air that was available. Only 10 days this month had below normal temperatures in NYC.

There were 2 days with a departure below -10 and 5 days with a +10 or greater departure.

Stale cold or cold enough is sometimes all you need with the right blocking and storm track for snow.

In some ways, it was like February 1983 with one historic snowstorm in an otherwise

positive temperature departure pattern.

NYC is on track for it's warmest January ever with over 20 inches of snow.

2011....36.0"....29.7

1925....27.4"....28.4

2016....27.2"....33.7...through the 26th

1996....26.1"....30.5

1923....24.5"....30.0

1935....23.6"....28.9

1877....20.5"....27.7

NYC was able to really maximize the snow production this month with the small amount of

cold air that was available. Only 10 days this month had below normal temperatures in NYC.

There were 2 days with a departure below -10 and 5 days with a +10 or greater departure.

Stale cold or cold enough is sometimes all you need with the right blocking and storm track for snow.

In some ways, it was like February 1983 with one historic snowstorm in an otherwise

positive temperature departure pattern.

NYC is on track for it's warmest January ever with over 20 inches of snow.

2011....36.0"....29.7

1925....27.4"....28.4

2016....27.2"....33.7...through the 26th

1996....26.1"....30.5

1923....24.5"....30.0

1935....23.6"....28.9

1877....20.5"....27.7

Interesting stat, and I would say it's a lock right now.

Interesting stat, and I would say it's a lock right now.

I think that the previous heaviest snowfall January in NYC with an average temperature of 33.0 or warmer 

was 11.3" in January 1909 at 34.7 degrees. Maybe Uncle can check and see if I missed a warmer month 

with heavier snowfall.

I think that the previous heaviest snowfall January in NYC with an average temperature of 33.0 or warmer 

was 11.3" in January 1909 at 34.7 degrees. Maybe Uncle can check and see if I missed a warmer month 

with heavier snowfall.

1964 was 35.7 with a major blizzard...February 1983 was 36.4 with 21.5" of snow and a major blizzard...February 1961 averaged 36.7 with a major blizzard...that's the warmest February with a major storm...

1964 was 35.7 with a major blizzard...February 1983 was 36.4 with 21.5" of snow and a major blizzard...February 1961 averaged 36.7 with a major blizzard...that's the warmest February with a major storm...

Yeah, 13.3" in January 64 looks like the previous record for a January of 33 degrees or warmer.

unless you called for a massive kara sea ridge to disturb the tropospheric PV with zero help from the stratosphere you don't get to claim victory. you can even see the connection on the the 500mb average for the month. right for the wrong reasons doesn't count

post-63-0-40074200-1453923172_thumb.gif

Yeh said follow the GEFS /UKIE/EPS which was 10 plus from Thurdasy.

Opined on this 8 days away.

Now I told Rjay I was going to leave you alone unless you said something stupid.

Now I will repost your plus 5 and BN snow for Jan and how this winter had ratter written all over it just 9 days ago.

Lol

Thanks.

you posted in giant bold capital letters "IGNORE THE NAM!!!" within two days of the event. lol

you posted in giant bold capital letters "IGNORE THE NAM!!!" within two days of the event. lol

Dude , you are the one who once posted on the board to Anthony " you should have your eyes gouged out for looking at the NAM "

Do you recall ? 

I remember everything . You posted 2 weeks ago the pattern sucks , then deleted it .

Your call for Jan was plus 5 with BN snow 

You have these guys fooled , not me . You should stay clear of me , I remember everything you write .

I was 6 plus 8 days away in  NYC when pressed  with the potential for a BLIZZARD . ( 8 DAYS OUT ) . Go find the post ? It is there , that morphed into 3 days out when  I said follow the UKIE /GEFS which was 10 plus in NYC and 20 by me in CNJ.

You`re not that swift huh 

Well it should. Especially in any major city where most snow has been shoveled and plowed. Which is pretty much packed condensed form. Therfore becoming the only snow left to gauge when melting occurs.

That's the exact reason why shoveled and plowed snow isn't considered snow pack.  What if someone made a pile with a front-end loader, someone could have a 20 or 30 foot snow pack but its really just a man made pile.  

That's the exact reason why shoveled and plowed snow isn't considered snow pack.  What if someone made a pile with a front-end loader, someone could have a 20 or 30 foot snow pack but its really just a man made pile.  

NYC is removing and melting the snow. It's a crazy sight to see. Similar to what Montreal and other snowy cities do.

They attach a monster melter to a sewer and dump truck after dump truck is throwing their load in and melting it.

Pretty cool to see.

NYC is removing and melting all snow the snow. It's a crazy sight to see. Similar to what Montreal and other snowy cities do.

They attach a monster melter to a sewer and dump turck after dump truck is throwing their load in and melting it.

Pretty cool to see.

When did they begin doing this?

Dude , you are the one who once posted on the board to Anthony " you should have your eyes gouged out for looking at the NAM "

Do you recall ? 

I remember everything . You posted 2 weeks ago the pattern sucks , then deleted it .

Your call for Jan was plus 5 with BN snow 

You have these guys fooled , not me . You should stay clear of me , I remember everything you write .

I was 6 plus 8 days away in  NYC when pressed  with the potential for a BLIZZARD . ( 8 DAYS OUT ) . Go find the post ? It is there , that morphed into 3 days out when  I said follow the UKIE /GEFS which was 10 plus in NYC and 20 by me in CNJ.

You`re not that swift huh

whatever you need to say to make yourself feel better :lol:

Not sure. I guess this year.

They have them setup around the city. Today, I saw one on West Street near the Freedom Tower.

Pretty cool watching it.

I don't have a source, but they have been using those melters for some years now. They just don't always have the need. 

Yeah, snowpack is supposed to be the untouched amount of snow on the ground.  This year it's from one storm, but like last year, we had little events that kept piling on top of each other.  This led to a long, frozen, and multi-layered snowpack.

Yeah, snowpack is supposed to be the untouched amount of snow on the ground. This year it's from one storm, but like last year, we had little events that kept piling on top of each other.

This led to a long, frozen, and multi-layered

Ok fair enough. But in nyc and surrounding boroughs. Snowpack = snow mounds of very touched snow

Yeah, snowpack is supposed to be the untouched amount of snow on the ground. This year it's from one storm, but like last year, we had little events that kept piling on top of each other.

This led to a long, frozen, and multi-layered

Ok fair enough. But in nyc and surrounding boroughs. Snowpack = snow mounds of very touched snow

You pretty much need to go into a park to determine snowpack in the city.  They cart so much away, does it even still look like it snowed in Manhattan?

PS there is a rumor that most of the snow is getting dumped in Queens rather than being melted  :whistle:

unless you called for a massive kara sea ridge to disturb the tropospheric PV with zero help from the stratosphere you don't get to claim victory. you can even see the connection on the the 500mb average for the month. right for the wrong reasons doesn't count

That Kara Sea blocking ridge has been the most dominant NH 500 mb anomaly for the 2000's so far during the winters. 

Archived