amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean GFS if it's right. Euro is faster with the storm and has a better placed high this run compare to the 0z run. It's nice like the GFS but pretty close.

I mentioned in the sne thread after the GFS came out that the euro often delays the ejection of sw energy too much.

This looks to be the case again.

I would dismiss this normally except there's a very strong high pressing south. It reminds of 2007 where it was in the 70s one day and sleeting two days later.

You also see this a lot over in Texas/OKC and the other plain states, which normally leads to significant icing events.

Don't mean to pick on you but hmmm , now this reminds you of 07 ? 3 days ago this reminded you of 11/12 as you opined a snow less winter could be on tap. During the early fall it reminded you of 97/98.

What's with the moving target ? Pick a year or set of years , use objective guidance and ride it out.

I think snowman is a nut , but he has his years and he doesn't deviate

Respectable. Hes wrong but respectable.

I'm just trying to keep up that's all.

Don't mean to pick on you but hmmm , now this reminds you of 07 ? 3 days ago this reminded you of 11/12 as you opined a snow less winter could be on tap. During the early fall it reminded you of 97/98.

What's with the moving target ? Pick a year or set of years , use objective guidance and ride it out.

I think snowman is a nut , but he has his years and he doesn't deviate

Respectable. Hes wrong but respectable.

I'm just trying to keep up that's all.

I thought this season would evolve like 06/07 and no I never said anything about 11/12 because I acknowledged that was a CONUS wide warm winter unlike this year.

I said this system reminded me of systems from 2007, which is the season I've been targeting if you want to hold me accountable hence why I've always believed Feb would be the best winter month.

I thought this season would evolve like 06/07 and no I never said anything about 11/12 because I acknowledged that was a CONUS wide warm winter unlike this year.

I said this system reminded me of systems from 2007, which is the season I've been targeting if you want to hold me accountable hence why I've always believed Feb would be the best winter month.

It's a weather board we don't owe each other anything.

I was just seeking clarification as to which analog you were looking too.

That's all.

So many positive looking changes on today's models. :) Really can't understand this insistence that we cannot get snow with near or slightly below temps in early January. I also do not agree with the posts about more record warmth the second week of January. I'm not seeing it. Besides the NW threat next week, pay attention to the 1st timeframe. Best chance for snow of the season around that time.

I have no agenda other than to get the forecast right.  Also, the timing for this would be 7 days away...

I've seen a lot of this on the twitter sphere recently...people thinking that anyone who puts an ENSO filter on the MJO composites has an agenda.  That's not remotely the case.  What I'm pointing out is that ENSO filtered MJO analogs right now would argue a lot more blocking than is realistically possible right now because of a strong stratospheric PV among other things.

I don't think the MJO is actually present right now. Upon examination of 200hpa VP, the upper divergence signal appears to be non-propagating. If so, the MJO can't really be utilized for any argument regarding the long term pattern.

So many positive looking changes on today's models. :) Really can't understand this insistence that we cannot get snow with near or slightly below temps in early January. I also do not agree with the posts about more record warmth the second week of January. I'm not seeing it. Besides the NW threat next week, pay attention to the 1st timeframe. Best chance for snow of the season around that time.

Gefs shows alot of ridging towards alaska,

So many positive looking changes on today's models. :) Really can't understand this insistence that we cannot get snow with near or slightly below temps in early January. I also do not agree with the posts about more record warmth the second week of January. I'm not seeing it. Besides the NW threat next week, pay attention to the 1st timeframe. Best chance for snow of the season around that time.

people think that we need -15 departures for snow for some reason....that's actually the last thing you want which would just be dry and cold

Yeah...only a complete peen would call someone attempting to improve the meteorology field in an area where help is desperately needed, BUT, Cohen looked kinda bad last year...trying to claim the Boston record was due to his theory. This year will be telling. I mean, there could easily be a multi-year component to testing the theory that we are just unaware of at this point. I don't even think if this year's very high SAI results in a -AO for late J-F-M, it means his theory is legit. Going to take years of testing and analysis to make that determination.

True, he won but for the wrong reasons

Personally I think his theory has merit but it's just a small peice of the puzzle

Agree with this. I think he is onto something, but it will take years to play out. Gotta love other mets who trash the guy as he is actually doing work to further the field. So he took credit for last year prematurely. Nobody's perfect, least of all the people who criticize him so vocally.

Archived