• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

I was in high school then and i do not remember it that way. I remember the winter of 97/98 and it's great rainy nor'easter but I do not remember the rest being so snow free.

96-97 and 98-99 had no major events except for the April fools 97 interior bomb of course. Jan 2000 had that surprise storm but warnings were not up

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted this before, from March 96- December 2000 NYC wasn't under a winter storm watch one time. Several winter weather advisories were issued but no watches and no winter storm warnings were ever out in that stretch. Shows you not only didn't we get any major storms but we didn't even have any that looked like they'd be major a day or two out

The city didn't get a watch for April fools 97?

The city didn't get a watch for April fools 97?

Probably not as it did not snow here. I have worked in public schools for nearly 30 years and remember snow days, as well as snows that arrived during holidays ( Dec 2010 Boxing Day, PD 2003 ) fairly well. Did not have a snow day until March 1993...and I started in 88...after March 96 did not have a snow day until 2001, a half day ( Dec 2000 storm was during a holiday ) in Feb.....Starting in 2003 came a string of winters with big snows, ending with Feb 2006. 07, 08, and 09, all featured minor storms...2010 featured some big ones but nothing on the scale of DC-Philly, 10-11 was epic then we started losing days to hurricanes....the weird weather started with the October snow in 11 and it has gotten weirder ever since....bottom line, it is entirely possible to see little snow not only this year but for several years or more in a row.....and was the norm in the 80's....

Isnt the average after Jan 15th only around 15" anyway?  Sounds like a near shutout through 1/15 doesnt really impact the back half of winter totals..

Statistically though, it does matter, as a snowless Dec is usually followed by well below average winters. Last year was an exception, but let's face it, all but 3 of the storms were lame...

96-97 and 98-99 had no major events except for the April fools 97 interior bomb of course. Jan 2000 had that surprise storm but warnings were not up

and the Jan 2000 storm wasn't much here, I remember it well because my father died and the wake was during the storm, and it was not enough snow to keep people from coming to pay their respects. Just lost mom in October.

Probably not as it did not snow here. I have worked in public schools for nearly 30 years and remember snow days, as well as snows that arrived during holidays ( Dec 2010 Boxing Day, PD 2003 ) fairly well. Did not have a snow day until March 1993...and I started in 88...after March 96 did not have a snow day until 2001, a half day ( Dec 2000 storm was during a holiday ) in Feb.....Starting in 2003 came a string of winters with big snows, ending with Feb 2006. 07, 08, and 09, all featured minor storms...2010 featured some big ones but nothing on the scale of DC-Philly, 10-11 was epic then we started losing days to hurricanes....the weird weather started with the October snow in 11 and it has gotten weirder ever since....bottom line, it is entirely possible to see little snow not only this year but for several years or more in a row.....and was the norm in the 80's....

If you don't mind me asking but are you a teacher in colonia?

If you don't mind me asking but are you a teacher in colonia?

No I am not a teacher. For most of my career I worked in inner cities, so to be fair they call fewer snow days in general. Prefer not to reveal my current employer since the nature of my work is confidential. But I don't mind you asking.

I heard rumors for years that NYC was very close to closing for 2/23/89 but decided last minute not to. That would have been hilarious. I know most of long island and pretty much all suburbs did

No I am not a teacher. For most of my career I worked in inner cities, so to be fair they call fewer snow days in general. Prefer not to reveal my current employer since the nature of my work is confidential. But I don't mind you asking.

Not a problem. I know a few people that went to Colonia high, so I was trying to see if maybe you were a teacher to them.

No, should have been one for March 99 but wasn't because the models got cold feet last minute but i got pounded with 8 inches and lost power for 6 hours

I remember March 99...started off as some light rain and quickly changed over to heavy wet snow. Ended up with around 5-6 inches in Woodbridge. A transformer blew down the street while I was outside shoveling the next morning. Few days later, most of the snow melted.

I've posted this before, from March 96- December 2000 NYC wasn't under a winter storm watch one time. Several winter weather advisories were issued but no watches and no winter storm warnings were ever out in that stretch. Shows you not only didn't we get any major storms but we didn't even have any that looked like they'd be major a day or two out

Just hideous.  This place would have melted down if it existed then.  98-99 was bad.  I would have though there would have been a warning for Jan 25, 2000? 

I heard rumors for years that NYC was very close to closing for 2/23/89 but decided last minute not to. That would have been hilarious. I know most of long island and pretty much all suburbs did

that brings back nightmares for me.  I was living 20 miles NW of Philly and we hadn't had a good storm since Jan 87 and to top it off my High school did not call a snow day (and we saw nothing but cloudy skies-not even a flurry)

that brings back nightmares for me. I was living 20 miles NW of Philly and we hadn't had a good storm since Jan 87 and to top it off my High school did not call a snow day (and we saw nothing but cloudy skies-not even a flurry)

Was that also the day that senator shot himself or was that the 87 storm?

Yes there was but there was no Watch though. The warning streak actually ended that day but the Watch streak held til 12/29/00

wow.  And even that busted to a degree-we were supposed to flip to rain, instead we got 15-17 inches here or something like that.  That was the big shutout SW of Philly...watches and even warnings up down that way and not even a flake.

wow. And even that busted to a degree-we were supposed to flip to rain, instead we got 15-17 inches here or something like that. That was the big shutout SW of Philly...watches and even warnings up down that way and not even a flake.

The NAM screwed that one up the rain snow line did get as far west as the Nassau Suffolk border though I think. I think eastern LI didn't get anything out of that

The NAM screwed that one up the rain snow line did get as far west as the Nassau Suffolk border though I think. I think eastern LI didn't get anything out of that

I remember Paul Kocin saying the new nam is in and nothing for areas SW of Philly!   Good lord, imagine being down there and hearing that.   The storm was supposed to track inland through LI and CT instead it went inland over RI and Eastern MA

Archived