SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to look up Lake of the Woods on the map. Wasn't sure where that was. Welcome to the board XfireLOW. Open water in December is getting a little surreal here, I can only imagine what it's like up there.

I believe Lake of the Woods finally froze up over the weekend with the cool (-1 really isn’t cold for December here) couple days.  Who would expect a record late freeze up following last year, which was a record early freeze up.

The weird thing I have noticed this year and also noticed December 2011 is how much a pain these above normal temps are with icy roads and sidewalks.  The repeating freeze/thaw cycles usually don’t happen here with a regular basis Dec-Fec.  Normally we get snow and that gets packed down, end of story until March.  Not this year…

How often is November snowier than the following December? Even here we had like a half inch of snow on the day of the big snowstorm up north and it certainly doesn't look like we'll be beating that in the next 10 days.

I'd have to check, but I think this might have happened to us last year,  here in CMH.

The air and the vibe around town had a spring feel to it. It's hard to not enjoy these mild temps.

You must be in a micro-climate or something, haven't seen anything like that here or any of the other cities I have been in recently. It has been extremely cloudy, rainy and depressing.

I'd have to check, but I think this might have happened to us last year,  here in CMH.

The "Snowy" November is very deceptive. It was one day, one event.

IMO... one 17 inch snow in a month, makes a less snowy month than 10 days of snow adding up to 12 inches.

Although this December has been wall to wall sh-t, so in this case, I might have to agree that November has been snowier.

Nice pic Bo^

Heavy overcast clung overhead all day today.  Kept temps from moving much.  Only managed to reach 36.

Temp was about 35 when I posted that.  Have since rose up to 39 for a new high for the day.  Breezy southeasterlies pumping in warmer air.  

Even though it's a bit warmer out, it's still cold enough that it would seem hard to believe severe weather is possible in 18-20hrs if you didn't have today's technology.

Mentioned it in the severe thread but getting interested in a high wind threat near/just after frontal passage tomorrow evening.  Various things look to be coming into place...mid level dryslot overspreading the area, strong CAA, rapid pressure rises.  I would not be that surprised to see a window where winds hit high wind warning criteria around here. 

Under-performing day today. Not one ray of sunlight. Clouds brightens up around 1pm, but quickly darkened again. 40°/35°

Forecast for tomorrow.

Wednesday

Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. High near 60. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 9pm, then showers likely between 9pm and midnight. Low around 37. Breezy, with a south wind 15 to 25 mph becoming west southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Mentioned it in the severe thread but getting interested in a high wind threat near/just after frontal passage tomorrow evening.  Various things look to be coming into place...mid level dryslot overspreading the area, strong CAA, rapid pressure rises.  I would not be that surprised to see a window where winds hit high wind warning criteria around here. 

Yeah the models bring the strongest winds right through your area too from the looks of things.  Sure looks like a period of advisory level winds at the least.

Gone up another 3 degrees to 42.  7 degree rise the past 6 hours.  WAA FTW.

Yeah the models bring the strongest winds right through your area too from the looks of things.  Sure looks like a period of advisory level winds at the least.

Good ol' "overnight high temps" that skew what the weather actually was like most of the day... :P

NAM/GFS had about 60 kts at the top of the mixed layer.  Could be a consolation prize if the severe weather doesn't pan out lol

Archived