• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

Question on PWAT measurements: How long have we been measuring this? I never heard anyone talk about PWAT 5 years ago, now people reference it all the time.

I noticed that too....especially reading the NWS discussions.     Kind of like met terms cracking the mainstream media....ie Polar Vortex and derecho lol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a calculation of the total moisture of a column of air, the origin goes back to the 1920s I believe. The only reason we are talking about it so extensively is because we are destroying records like this one from GRB over the weekend, care of splillo on twitter:

I noticed that too....especially reading the NWS discussions.     Kind of like met terms cracking the mainstream media....ie Polar Vortex and derecho lol

Yup... I'm sure the term or index has been around for a long time, it does appear than accurate measurements started around 2000 and the first generation of satellites to measure began in 1994.

I'll dig some links up for this, but the one I posted above has much to do with the 2000 process that was developed. It's possible this is a first STRONG el nino with the modern equipment.

I'm not doubting the water values aren't WAY beyond normal for December at all. I just noticed that the index has become something lots of mets seem to mention now days.

http://www.remss.com/measurements/atmospheric-water-vapor

Yup... I'm sure the term or index has been around for a long time, it does appear than accurate measurements started around 2000 and the first generation of satellites to measure began in 1994.

I'll dig some links up for this, but the one I posted above has much to do with the 2000 process that was developed. It's possible this is a first STRONG el nino with the modern equipment.

I'm not doubting the water values aren't WAY beyond normal for December at all. I just noticed that the index has become something lots of mets seem to mention now days.

http://www.remss.com/measurements/atmospheric-water-vapor

I believe SPC's historic sounding data goes back to the 40s and 50s per this link: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundingclimo/

It will say at the bottom how far they go back for each site. GRB for example is data going back to 1953, and this is sounding reanalysis, so the PWAT data going back that far should be pretty accurate as they calculate it off the sounding data.

I feel the same way. Great for our business but horrid for others. This winter is a great example on why I have never invested on snowfall removal equipment. Traditionally not counting the last 15 years it's just to wishy washy.

For many landscaping companies, it's a service they HAVE to offer. People sign up for lawn services and snow removal is bundled with the lawn service, if they didn't offer snow removal, they most likely wouldn't get the contract.

Anyone who does snow removal on the side (not as a primary job) will tell you it's worth it in the long run. This year we have already seen one snowstorm and have 4 months to go, nino or not. Of course in recent years even snow plow operators had had enough, though I'm sure they are over anxious now.

Snow removal is just a part of the business equation for myself. One thing I learned early was never to purchase on the pretence it will snow and make money later. I always pay cash and have as little overhead as possible though out the year. In my line of work it is so weather dictated and the strong companies will prepare for the lulls.

12Z GFS shows a more significant severe system for the sub-forum, could be interesting. 

I'm loving the 1:1 snow ratios as of late. ;) 

Looks like a typical setup here where ORD is significantly warmer than UGN.

GFS says 24th.

gfs_T2m_us_34.png

gfs_T2m_us_40.png

I'll counter this one with this image:

f216.gif

the op run is by far the fastest and furthest east with the cold push, combine that with the Euro consensus, I think I will side with everyone else vs the op GFS on this.

In the long term, one thing I'm liking is that we're repeatedly seeing these 150kt upper level jets diving into the west coast morphing into negative tilt/closed off lows. 

If that keeps up, it's only a matter of time until all of that jet energy spins up a similar type of low with a favorable track for us.  

f216.gif

the op run is by far the fastest and furthest east with the cold push, combine that with the Euro consensus, I think I will side with everyone else vs the op GFS on this.

f216.gif

It would nice if it wouldn't feel like spring or autumn on Christmas Day or Eve. Save the torch for the 23rd or 26th.

I know the weather is going to do what it wants to do though.

OP GFS now has the torch on the 23rd and another on the 27th. Cold/seasonable beyond the 27th.

GEFS not too excited about a warm Christmas. Well mild compared to normal, cooler than now.

gfs-ens_T2m_us_40.png

Lol, I don't know why were looking so far ahead anyways, still have 11 days to go yet.

In the long term, one thing I'm liking is that we're repeatedly seeing these 150kt upper level jets diving into the west coast morphing into negative tilt/closed off lows. 

If that keeps up, it's only a matter of time until all of that jet energy spins up a similar type of low with a favorable track for us.  

Would love to have this kind of pattern to happen through the spring. Reminds me of April 2011.

Yes. This is a great sign for a stormy winter which means several more good snowstorms are highly likely in the region whether we get into a cold pattern or not.

Seems to be strong consensus of a pattern turn around mid Jan.   Roger Smith who has been the most accurate with his description of periodic record warmth in the early part of winter has mentioned a turn around to colder in mid to late January with the potential of a....dare I say.... Feb '10 - esque turn around.

there...see even I can find a half-filled glass at times.

On the half-empty side is the notion that when everyone is saying the same thing, that's usually when mother nature teaches us a lesson.

With the WPO +ve and the MJO in the 4/5 region I see not winter like cool down any time soon.  Sooner or later the weather will turn to a more wintery pattern. Right now its like having a summer with no sun and temps never breaking 70.... Ill take it after the cold winters of late. This is the first winter I'm somewhat happy with the lack of snow/cold. Gives me a chance to catch up on the around the shop chores which get overlooked.

I don't care if he uses hair patterns on the ass of monkey, he has actually been pretty good.

I don't see why using the moons and sun patterns are so hocus pocus to some. Weather is always changing and patterns created from the past are never duplicated exactly. The two biggest daily variables of energy on the earth are solar and the gravitational pull of planets. There has to be some merit to their science.

Euro with another blowtorch. Nice system to end it off though. If only it wasn't 240 out. Bunch of people on Twitter shrugging off the ECMWF like it's insane? Y'all agree?

No I don't there are several reasons why it is a belivable solution, more so than GFS. GFS is too progressive and tries to beat down the ridge on the east coast in an unreasonable fashion. The Euro spends several days with a flow out of the Caribbean into the Gulf and then into the Southeast, surging the moisture into the southeast. As the trough lifts out the warmth/moisture/instability will spread northward.

Archived