joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the big take home is major coastal impacts no matter what the final solution is. Erosion wash overs and possible structural damage. Do not forget that during Isabelle we had 60mph guts up here. We lost a 400 year old white oak on my college campus in Maryland during that storm as they had 70mph gusts well inland.

My sense is that this is going to landfall further north than expected. The "capture" or sharp NE turn of Sandy is unusual and had to do with its extratropical transition. Remember Sandy happened at the end of the season, around Halloween. Many of the powerful hurricanes that affect the Northeast U.S. this time of year (1635, 1815, 1869, 1938, 1944, Edna etc.) typically affect the Bahamas and then head due north, making a landfall on Long Island or Cape Cod. Many of the GFS ensembles support this solution.

My sense is that this is going to landfall further north than expected. The "capture" or sharp NE turn of Sandy is unusual and had to do with its extratropical transition. Remember Sandy happened at the end of the season, around Halloween. Many of the powerful hurricanes that affect the Northeast U.S. this time of year (1635, 1815, 1869, 1938, 1944, Edna etc.) typically affect the Bahamas and then head due north, making a landfall on Long Island or Cape Cod. Many of the GFS ensembles support this solution.

Makes total sense. I forgot about that.

I would be very cautious on pinpointing landfall 4-5 days from now.

OTS is still a possibility too.

I agree that its still a possibility but I wouldn't say that the chances of that occurring are very good. Not with the agreement between the GFS/UKMET/GGEM/NAVGEM. 

One interesting thing about the 06z GEFS members.

You can see how tightly clustered they are here at hr 66

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_12.png

Then by hour 84 you lose about a third that head towards the Carolina coast

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_15.png

Then at hour 114 you lose about half the remaining to a mid-atlantic landfall.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_20.png

Then at 132 you lose about half of the remaining again for a NJ or NY landfall

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_23.png

Finally about five end up OTS, a very low percentage.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_27.png

Irene's third landfall was Brooklyn actually. Point is those storms made a direct path through our area. Just clarifying, not derailing the thread.

So if the system landfalls in MD or VA and then slides Northeast over our region wouldn't that constitute as us being in the direct path?

NWS via KWO-35 has been giving Joaquin little air time.   Today,  the words possible TS conditions for the waters around here is being mentioned for the first time.  Also they have quietly added 48hrs to the period of precipitation possiblities, now not clearing up till Tues PM.

In addition---lost in the sauce---is the fact we have set a new all time warmest September record, eclipsing the existing 1961 record by about a whopping whole degree, to about 74.6.  That is a lot to break a monthly record by  after 150 years of record keeping.

NWS via KWO-35 has been giving Joaquin little air time.   Today,  the words possible TS conditions for the waters around here is being mentioned for the first time.  Also they have quietly added 48hrs to the period of precipitation possiblities, now not clearing up till Tues PM.

In addition---lost in the sauce---is the fact we have set a new all time warmest September record, eclipsing the existing 1961 record by about a whopping whole degree, to about 74.6.  That is a lot to break a monthly record by  after 150 years of record keeping.

Incredible month.  Dry and hot almost end to end. 

I would be very cautious on pinpointing landfall 4-5 days from now.

OTS is still a possibility too.

I agree with the caution. This is a much tougher call than Sandy where one could point to what was an overpowering late October block. In this case, the finer details in the synoptic pattern will determine whether or not Joaquin is captured. That the guidance has trended slower with Joaquin's approach toward North America consistent with the storm's forward motion may be showing an increasing probability of its being captured. A slower approach would also lead to a diminishing opportunity for escape prior to a strong ridge's moving across and off eastern Canada.

The NHC's track is a compromise between the major model camps, but at the last part of the track, there is some westerly component to that track.

You read my mind I was going post about noticing that the ensemble has shifted slightly north.

I don't have a tremendous amount of data to back up this claim but I have been watching the way the models which capture Joaquin early evolve the system and I just don't see it moving towards the Carolina coast on such a straight line. I feel the more likely scenario is that the system moves towards the coast on more of a curve than a direct angle which would result in landfall further North. 

This is obviously a very difficult forecast but gun to my head I would put the most likely landfall position near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. 

Archived