joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only that but I'd even go and say on a line from Chesapeake bay to NYC region of landfall, more likely new Jersey area

I don't have a tremendous amount of data to back up this claim but I have been watching the way the models which capture Joaquin early evolve the system and I just don't see it moving towards the Carolina coast on such a straight line. I feel the more likely scenario is that the system moves towards the coast on more of a curve than a direct angle which would result in landfall further North. 

This is obviously a very difficult forecast but gun to my head I would put the most likely landfall position near the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

When is the Canadian ridge supposed to move to the Maritimes/Nova Scotia? If it moves just a bit further east prior to or during the storm, the setup would be similar to Sandy. 

Around Sunday it should be moving from Quebec into the Maritimes. From this far out that's still subject to some uncertainty. Landfall (maybe NC to the Delmarva is the likeliest area but that's highly speculative) is appears more likely than not, IMO, but the escape scenario is still a plausible one. Hopefully, in the next day or two, the picture will be clearer.

On satellite, it still looks like Joaquin is fighting the shear. It's not symmetrical and the northern half of the storm looks pretty weak.

6fa33661b2fd5727f7540cb5903566b1.jpg

Look out how well established the outflow is in all quadrants. And on top of that the current storm structure is not that of a sheared cyclone.

avn_lalo-animated.gif

Joaquin is currently experiencing under 10kts of shear and that is forecasted to continue to diminish over the next day.

wg8sht.GIF

On satellite, it still looks like Joaquin is fighting the shear. It's not symmetrical and the northern half of the storm looks pretty weak.

It's lightyears ahead of yesterday. Actually has a closed eye wall today and getting outflow to the north. Its southward movement may also nullify some of that northerly shear.

I would agree that the convection has weakened some on the NW side of the system as reflected in the warming cloud tops on IR loop. MW imagery loop also confirms this, however recon on the last pass reported a closed eyewall which was previously open. 

Joaquin is a rather large cyclone and sometimes that requires extra time to completely organize. One of the reasons why the max winds aren't proportionate to the surface pressure.

gifsBy12hr_05.gif

I would agree that the convection has weakened some on the NW side of the system as reflected in the warming cloud tops on IR loop. MW imagery loop also confirms this, however recon on the last pass reported a closed eyewall which was previously open. 

Joaquin is a rather large cyclone and sometimes that requires extra time to completely organize. One of the reasons why the max winds aren't proportionate to the surface pressure.

gifsBy12hr_05.gif

Perhaps a little dry air entrainment?

Perhaps a little dry air entrainment?

There is not dry air being drawn in as noted by HH obs and shear is becoming less of a factor as this starts to really deepen. 

Check out the hot tower forming in the SE quad. That will wrap around the eye soon. 

GOES14252015273Anp4oQ.jpg

The 12z NAM holds off the rains until very late tomorrow night for most of the area. It also opens the Joaquin up into a wave within 48 hours. 

12z NAM thinks Juaqin is a weak 1000mb storm today.

OK.

The NAM is not a tropical model and should pretty much never be used for track/intensity. 

We will have the new GFS soon and the rest of the 12z suite. All you can hope for is that we each consecutive model cycle the spread lessens. 

New discussion outlines that they leaned away from the ECWMF guidance but took the track to the right of the consensus in order to acknowledge the possibility of it being more correct.  

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 30/1500Z 24.7N 72.6W 70 KT 80 MPH
12H 01/0000Z 24.3N 73.2W 80 KT 90 MPH
24H 01/1200Z 24.1N 74.0W 85 KT 100 MPH
36H 02/0000Z 24.4N 74.4W 90 KT 105 MPH
48H 02/1200Z 25.3N 74.5W 95 KT 110 MPH
72H 03/1200Z 28.5N 73.5W 100 KT 115 MPH
96H 04/1200Z 34.0N 73.0W 90 KT 105 MPH
120H 05/1200Z 38.5N 74.0W 75 KT 85 MPH

Archived