• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

The trough over the Southeast US is digging a bit further South this run, thus the ridge to the North is a bit stronger. That is tugging everything a bit NW. On the positive end that has resulted in a stronger PRE making it further North. Moderate to to heavy rains for NYC and points South by Friday evening.

In short, the pattern is a bit more amplified.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early on it was more Southwest of the previous run and that is a slight cave to the Euro in the short term.

Yeah I was overzealous about the possible OTS prediction. By 54 it seems to be moving back NW. In fairness though I said the move SSW at 24 could lead to a fishy solution. Either way, I'll make sure to sit in the back of the room for a bit. Let the old guard handle this. I've still got a lot to learn.

Landfall near Wilmington Saturday night. That would result in a rather low impact event up here, although the shore would still experience a prolonged period of high Easterly winds. We would be affected by the outermost banding on this run.

A consensus is building that we will see minimal impacts from this storm in terms of rain and wind.

A consensus is building that we will see minimal impacts from this storm in terms of rain and wind.

Way too early for that.  Average model error is 300-400 miles at this juncture.   IF the models had it into NYC harbor right now, odds are that would not be the correct spot of landfall....GFS locked in, but we're still 3-4 days out.  Euro run today will be telling as well.

The GFS landfall track has shifted several hundreds of miles over the last three cycles. The ECMWF is still OTS and some of the other guidance landfalls much further North, like into the DE Bay. I am sorry but this is just a terrible post.

What on earth are you talking about?  The UKMET brings this right up to the NY bight, as do many of the tropical models and ensembles members of the GFS and ECWMF.   Hell, the ECWMF ensemble mean has this on track to plow into Long Island.   The NHC's own discussions from 1 hour prior talks about the lack of model consensus.

Think before you post.

The GFS landfall track has shifted several hundreds of miles over the last three cycles. The ECMWF is still OTS and some of the other guidance landfalls much further North, like into the DE Bay. I am sorry but this is just a terrible post.

The UKMET, GGEM, GEFS ensembles and many of the hurricane models all have this striking the mid Atlantic from NC to VA as of this moment. That is pretty good agreement save the European model.

The UKMET, GGEM, GEFS ensembles and many of the hurricane models all have this striking the mid Atlantic from NC to VA as of this moment. That is pretty good agreement save the European model.

And neither the 12z UKMET, GGEM or GEFS have run yet. We will see what happens after the model cycle is over. To say we have a consensus is just way too premature. 

What on earth are you talking about? The UKMET brings this right up to the NY bight, as do many of the tropical models and ensembles members of the GFS and ECWMF. Hell, the ECWMF ensemble mean has this on track to plow into Long Island. The NHC's own discussions from 1 hour prior talks about the lack of model consensus.

Think before you post.

Many of the tropical models? How many?

The EC is OTS

Plow into Long Island? Maybe I'm missing something?

It is possible though that if this capture happens far enough SW that the front and heavy rain are also pushed south and the impacts are over the Mid Atlantic.

Even with a landfall near Wilmington, NC you're going to have strong Easterly winds for several days persisting at the NJ and NY beaches. You're also going to have a lot of tropical moisture streaming North from the PRE and then again as the ULL moves North. I just don't see a feasible outcome, sans Euro where the impacts would be minimal here. Of course a solution like the 12z GFS would have less of an impact, but still quite significant. 

Archived