joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't have to be that far off to have a different solution. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it shows a NC landfall at 0z.

This is true, the upper level features are sensitive. I expect a compromise between the GFS/Euro. No it's not going OTS, lol. The pattern locked this dood in a long time ago.

Although the NAM's track might not be all that important, that it moved toward the cluster of guidance favoring landfall might be meaningful. From the NHC's 11 pm discussion:

The NOAA G-IV aircraft has recently completed its synoptic surveillance flight, and data collected during this mission should be assimilated into the 0000 UTC models, hopefully reducing the spread of the track guidance.

Obviously, we'll have to wait to see what the remainder of the global models, especially the ECMWF, show.

Some posters here seem to have a lot of confidence on Joaquin's future path. Be very carefull some people will eat those words.

NHC is expecting a pretty due north progress, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I don't see this thing making a left hook when it's still poised to be a cat 3/4 hurricane. A 100 mile shift east and this is easily running into the Chesapeake. Furthermore a shift like that could easily allow it run up to coast of DE and NJ before finally taking a complete hook into land. This is a very dangerous situation and the entire east coast, including the NYC metro needs to watch this very carefully. This could make Sandy the #2 storm and Joaquin #1....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A

NHC is expecting a pretty due north progress, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable. I don't see this thing making a left hook when it's still poised to be a cat 3/4 hurricane. A 100 mile shift east and this is easily running into the Chesapeake. Furthermore a shift like that could easily allow it run up to coast of DE and NJ before finally taking a complete hook into land. This is a very dangerous situation and the entire east coast, including the NYC metro needs to watch this very carefully. This could make Sandy the #2 storm and Joaquin #1....

I share your concerns. I was referring to the people model hugging the storm and saying it will either make landfall in SC/NC or go OTS.

I agree that a stronger storm could track further north, but all the models are clustered south of us, with a few OTS. There's almost no guidance that shows a landfall anywhere north of VA. So it seems unlikely that this would rival Sandy, though not impossible.

I think the NHC cone is the result of the compromise between the GFS/tropical models and the ECM; but in reality, it's more likely to be one solution or the other. Either the Fujiwara effect from IDA overpowers everything and it goes OTS, or it curves inland and hits NC or VA. In some ways, the NHC track is deceiving because they really expect either the Euro or the GFS, not something in between.

I agree that a stronger storm could track further north, but all the models are clustered south of us, with a few OTS. There's almost no guidance that shows a landfall anywhere north of VA. So it seems unlikely that this would rival Sandy, though not impossible.

I think the NHC cone is the result of the compromise between the GFS/tropical models and the ECM; but in reality, it's more likely to be one solution or the other. Either the Fujiwara effect from IDA overpowers everything and it goes OTS, or it curves inland and hits NC or VA. In some ways, the NHC track is deceiving because they really expect either the Euro or the GFS, not something in between.

It's almost like they have most of their trust in the GFS but knowing the track record of the Euro are hesitant to proclaim it off its rocker... or maybe they are anticipating the rest of the models caving due east. Who knows. They are pro mets and know more then most of us here do. Not just feeling out models verbatim ... One things for sure, I wouldn't want to be a forecaster at NHC right now.

Archived