joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9/30-10/5 Joaquin-Trough Interaction-MODELS

Rjay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Isentropic alluded to this, but if the capture takes too long, the upper low could swing south of Joaquin and force it west and then southwest before making landfall. 

Yes, for a moment I actually thought we might see an unprecedented SW moving East coast landfalling storm. And then I remembered that this entire run is almost unprecedented.

lowest pressure is 978 here, Implying weakening. However, wouldn't the closer approach tighten the gradient and cause ver strong winds?

I also believe though that the GFS isn't designed to really handle exact pressure and strength of a tropical system. 

A tropical system that far north will almost always be weakening, but I wouldn't read anything into the pressure readouts on the GFS.

To me, this is a trend run. Basically, we have the King EURO in one corner with its way out to sea prediction, and then suddenly you see the GFS make a giant jump towards it. While doing so it shows a direct hit. Not ruling it out, but wouldn't get too excited yet. I'm an extreme wx. fan so I hope something like this does happen, but I highly doubt it. 

Verbatim, Joaquin would probably weaken a lot before landfall if it slows down off the NJ coast in colder water, but yeah, that would be devastating to most in this subforum. Goes to show that a whole array of solutions are still on the table, including that kind of track into NJ. 

The beach erosion that would occur from Virginia Beach to Cape Cod would be nearly unprecedented I would think with that scenario.

I don't really know if the coastline can handle another Sandy level event without losing large swaths of coast.

It's important not to focus on rainfall totals or any other details for that matter. I still refer back to my long winded earlier post with regards to an initial jog NE and then eventual capture. This is also the first run with the new data from earlier today. We will see what the rest of the suite does.

GFS doesn't seem to have it making landfall in NJ. It stalls it offshore briefly, then turns it NNE into Long Island and New England. The NJ coast and Long Island are buffeted for more than 12 hours with strong tropical storm and hurricane force winds. The wind core looks to be fairly tight near the center, implying it doesn't really turn hybrid. I guess a saving grace for surge impacts on the NJ coast and NY Harbor is that winds stay northerly. The bad surge zone on this run verbatim would be the eastern half of Long Island. 

Edit: Looking at the 500mb charts, there's no phase and turn hybrid, the upper low dampens out and goes around Joaquin. That explains the tight wind field and core. 

Verbatim, Joaquin would probably weaken a lot before landfall if it slows down off the NJ coast in colder water, but yeah, that would be devastating to most in this subforum. Goes to show that a whole array of solutions are still on the table, including that kind of track into NJ. 

People need to realize this is not going to be a semi polar low warm seclusion deal in all likelihood.  This is probably a Belle or Irene deal if the GFS verbatim is correct.  It would still suck but it probably is not going to be devastating if it unfolded in that exact manner.  This will be way more a pure tropical system than Sandy was.

According to JB on Twitter "GFS Scary Sandy scenario may simply be model starting its adjustment to ECMWF escape idea... no need to panic.. yet"

This is EXACTLY what I just said if you read above. Yeah, we may all be going crazy over this run, when in reality it is likely just the expected jump towards the EURO that we were waiting for. Not ruling it out of course, but unless I see the EURO show anything like this, it is grains of sands on the beach. 

This is EXACTLY what I just said if you read above. Yeah, we may all be going crazy over this run, when in reality it is likely just the expected jump towards the EURO that we were waiting for. Not ruling it out of course, but unless I see the EURO show anything like this, it is grains of sands on the beach. 

We still have a setup for a storm, unfortunately. This storm should get captured. Maybe not landfall, but a close to shore solution seems possible. I expect the Euro to tick west slightly. 

the euro has to adjust west tonight or this is probably the beginning of a cave

WINNER. I expected people to go nuts on this run, but it is simply just a standard trend to the EURO. Seen it all my life. NOW, if tonight the EURO shows something even remotely close to this, then it will get my attention, but we'll see. 

We still have a setup for a storm, unfortunately. This storm should get captured. Maybe not landfall, but a close to shore solution seems possible. I expect the Euro to tick west slightly. 

Its tough, you get a capture too soon, it goes into the SE, too late you get a EURO solution, JUST IN TIME, 00z GFS. This is probably one of, if not, the hardest type of system for a wx. model to handle. I'm not basing that on facts, just opinion. Anytime you're dealing with a forecast hindering on a phase job between an ULL & a TS, hold your breath

I think it'll be a cave, that's a huge adjustment.

I think you are confusing yourself. The GFS has been WAYYYY SW over the last few runs. This last adjustment was WAYYY N & TOWARDS the EURO solution than any previous run. If anything I wouldn't be shocked to see the EURO adjust farther out to sea, unless that is what you meant. 

Archived