Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Drought busting rains PRE event

dailylurker

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole fleet (of models) may sink with this one. At this point, the ECM is not really buying in, as said above the GGEM brings Ida back to life and forces an unconvincing looking blend out to sea a lot quicker than some of the other guidance, the GFS may at least be able to claim a better track from this set of model runs. I think this has a very good chance of becoming a hurricane near Cape Hatteras and moving inland somewhere between the Delmarva and western Long Island. Lots of blocking in various portions of the Atlantic with nothing much to push Joaquin anywhere except due north or even a touch west of due north eventually. And it came together very efficiently over super warm waters with almost no shear likely for days. The interaction of Ida's remnant low is the wild card. If Joaquin develops fast enough, that may just get pulled in like a knot on the rope of the polar front in 72-96 hours. Is this classic Fujiwara fusion potentially, and if so, what would be expected for Joaquin's energy levels during the capture? I am guessing it might assist more than deter a process of intensification around 30-35 N, key question being how close to KHAT? Would say best guess is more of an impact on NJ-NY-sNE than MidAtl but possibly a fairly good sideswipe anyway.

NAM has a train of moisture stretching from our area all the way down to east of the Bahamas. Based on Cobb, BWI ends up with 6.48" by the end of the run with more to come.

i didn't look at BWI, only Westminster, but yeah that makes sense. Even the Euro has that train of moisture going on 

So I guess we are going to have four (edit...five) different regional forum threads on Joaquin, each with 10x more posts than the main forum thread. That seems...inefficient.

how is that inefficient? wouldn't it make more sense for you to just follow this thread? maybe the southeast regions thread? 

The main thread won't have any specifics, just a few tropical guru type posts. 

So neither the GFS or NAM are really a big deal in the metro areas with the front. Then comes the coastal thingy and we get dumped on.

Yes, but some of the hi-res models are dumping on us tonight into tomorrow... the 0z 5km ARW through 48 hrs just north and west of I-95 as receiving 3"+ of rain... while the 0z 5km NMM has DCA ~2" of rain

So I guess we are going to have four (edit...five) different regional forum threads on Joaquin, each with 10x more posts than the main forum thread. That seems...inefficient.

I personally am not a fan of hearing a bunch of out of area people talk about their backyards only in a massive consolidated thread. At least here everything is more or less local to what may happen in our area. 

Agreed. Regional discussions are best.

I've always disliked the regional boards, but they were the inevitable result of a huge mass of people whose eyes burn at the horror of ever having to glance at discussion of weather more than 50 feet from their backyards. I'm an oddball, I guess, in that I care more about really interesting WX on the other side of the world than mundane Wx IMBY.

Regional makes sense for severe and winter. Zero sense for tropical for a lot of reasons. Having Atlantic tropical system model, recon, sat imagery discussion split among 5 regional boards is a complete fiasco, IMHO, particularly when the modeled landfalls (if one occurs) range from South Carolina to Massachusetts.

I've always disliked the regional boards, but they were the inevitable result of a huge mass of people whose eyes burn at the horror of ever having to glance at discussion of weather more than 50 feet from their backyards. I'm an oddball, I guess, in that I care more about really interesting WX on the other side of the world than mundane Wx IMBY.

Regional makes sense for severe and winter. Zero sense for tropical for a lot of reasons. Having Atlantic tropical system model, recon, sat imagery discussion split among 5 regional boards is a complete fiasco, IMHO, particularly when the modeled landfalls (if one occurs) range from South Carolina to Massachusetts.

The effects will be very different from subforum to subforum. Do you really want to hear NYC folks talk about their rain totals and have to weed through tons of rapid fire posts to find something from one of our local mets? 

I'm not a big fan of the threads that have 15 new posts every time you refresh the page. 

Getting off topic with the regional vs main forum stuff. Each region has enough very capable posters to cover the important stuff. And focusing on back yards is kinda what this hobby is all about. Back in the eastern days there were far fewer posters so single event threads were much more readable. 

On topic-

FWIW, 6z gefs members have about 2/3rds of the members having some form of capture, tuck, or left turn into the area. Because of timing differences, the 850 precip/pressure panels are tough to post but this 72hr precip panel shows it well. I'm not sure when uncertainty will be reigned but for now we are very much inside of the possible solutions.

f144.gif

Archived