12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
September 2015 Discussion

Geos

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still cloudy here, but apparently clear in Detroit as Sunday night football just had an awesome video of it.

I'm south of Detroit and we've had a maddening cloud deck skirting over the moon much of the time. A chunk of clear sky has held just beyond the moon, but the overcast keeps allowing only brief glimpses. I did snap a few pics with my camera that looked pretty cool, will upload tomorrow.

Yeah, 2017 should be great. Last I remember was 1994 eclipse in which the total passed right over me when I was in elementary school near Decatur, Il.

I was in high school.  I remember we were eating lunch at a local sub place (Hungry Hobo) in East Moline and looking out through their windows and seeing how eerie it looked out there.  Our high school allowed us to go outside of school for lunch (which in the years following our graduation was taken away for a lot of "incidents" lol).  It was still light out like a normal day, but the glow of sunlight had a very weird look about it.  We didn't have a total eclipse that time, but it was an eclipse that was impressive enough that it became quite noticeable to everyone.  

I was in high school.  I remember we were eating lunch at a local sub place (Hungry Hobo) in East Moline and looking out through their windows and seeing how eerie it looked out there.  Our high school allowed us to go outside of school for lunch (which in the years following our graduation was taken away for a lot of "incidents" lol).  It was still light out like a normal day, but the glow of sunlight had a very weird look about it.  We didn't have a total eclipse that time, but it was an eclipse that was impressive enough that it became quite noticeable to everyone.  

Yeah, 1994 wasn't total, but the sun was blocked out like 80-90% in the best areas.  Most likely gonna travel to somewhere in the path of totality for 2017...hopefully the weather is good over a large area.

@Hoosier: Found a map regarding the 2017 eclipse.

If you're in that path consider yourself lucky (or those who get themselves right underneath the path). Carbondale, IL would be a choice spot to be.

Total_solar_eclipse_21August2017-map.jpg

In current weather news... an overcast day in the area, but still mild. High of 63° predicted the last two days of the month.

If you're in that path consider yourself lucky (or those who get themselves right underneath the path). Carbondale, IL would be a choice spot to be.

In current weather news... an overcast day in the area, but still mild. High of 63° predicted the last two days of the month.

A choice will be made a day or two before the event on where to go for me depending on the cloud cover.  Nebraska would likely be a good choice, as they seem to have less cloudiness out there.  Totality is a few secs shorter out there, but not much of a difference overall.  

A choice will be made a day or two before the event on where to go for me depending on the cloud cover.  Nebraska would likely be a good choice, as they seem to have less cloudiness out there.  Totality is a few secs shorter out there, but not much of a difference overall.  

Hopefully it's not one of those days with sprawling MCS activity/debris.  That would really suck.  High stakes for this one.  If there's even the slightest inkling of clouds, gonna make for nervous times.  At least there's a follow up chance 7 years later, I guess.

DTW's average temperature for this month so far is 69.7. If this were the final average for the month of September, it would be 3rd warmest September in Detroit's history and the warmest since DTW became a climate station.

My guess is that it will finish around 69F. Where does that rank?

Might have to go Pay my Grandma in Topeka Kansas a visit then, That's looks like a good spot to see the eclipse.

Archived