joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2015 Discussion

Geos

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice pictures Joel! Did you catch any fish?

Yet another SGX-type day in the books.

Thanks guys.  Yeah caught quite a few bluegills and crappies.  Just fished for panfish this time with bobbers and worms.  First time I've used a bobber in 15+ years.  Pretty fun actually.  Made for a very nice fish fry.  Surprisingly did have a nice fish hit and dove down deep and snapped my line.  Only had 6lb test on.  Wasn't expecting anything like that.  Probably was a big turtle or a catfish. Could have been a walleye, but they're pretty rare in that lake.

Came across these wild turkeys creeping along the edge of a corn field on the way home from work earlier today.  Snapped this with the cell.

2v81egp.jpg

So correct me if wrong, but pretty sure ORD needs 4 more 80 degree days to beat the record of 80 degree days set in 1978 and 2005. In jeapordy for sure.

That's going to be tough.... There is one more forecasted 80 degree day and then a cool down. The average high starts to plummet from there.

Thanks guys. Yeah caught quite a few bluegills and crappies. Just fished for panfish this time with bobbers and worms. First time I've used a bobber in 15+ years. Pretty fun actually. Made for a very nice fish fry. Surprisingly did have a nice fish hit and dove down deep and snapped my line. Only had 6lb test on. Wasn't expecting anything like that. Probably was a big turtle or a catfish. Could have been a walleye, but they're pretty rare in that lake.

Came across these wild turkeys creeping along the edge of a corn field on the way home from work earlier today. Snapped this with the cell.

2v81egp.jpg

Didn't know you were a fishermen cyclone. Love fishing crappie and walleye. Nothing beats fresh fish for a fish fry. I know bass have been biting like crazy right now!

Thanks guys. Yeah caught quite a few bluegills and crappies. Just fished for panfish this time with bobbers and worms. First time I've used a bobber in 15+ years. Pretty fun actually. Made for a very nice fish fry. Surprisingly did have a nice fish hit and dove down deep and snapped my line. Only had 6lb test on. Wasn't expecting anything like that. Probably was a big turtle or a catfish. Could have been a walleye, but they're pretty rare in that lake.

Came across these wild turkeys creeping along the edge of a corn field on the way home from work earlier today. Snapped this with the cell.

2v81egp.jpg

Nice....I noticed last weekend driving out to the farm that corn got less and less yellow as I headed west from the burbs here...but even the neighbors corn at the farm had that "dry and ready to change" look...

As for your fish....let the legend begin....it might have been 20 pounds....prolly a muskie! Haha JK....congrats on having some time to fish. And, yeah...my rats did some bobber fishing recently and it was a blast joining them...felt like a little kid waiting for it to go under.

Nice bon fire night as I mentally prepare for the blood moon lunar eclipse this weekend...

1881-1882 was a really snowless winter for this region.

1881-82 is a winter the likes of which no one alive here has ever seen. Yes it is the 2nd least snowy winter on record (a pathetic 13.2" at Detroit) but more noticeably it is by FAR the warmest winter on record. When looking at top coldest/warmest records, it is often just a few tenths of a degree that separates the most extreme seasons. But in this case, 1881-82 stands as the warmest winter by 1.2F over 2nd place. And since the top 3 warmest winters are all before our time (1881-82, 1931-32, 1889-90) this means this winter was over 3F warmer than any winter we have experienced. This came directly after the historically severe 1880-81 winter (which stood as our snowiest winter on record until 2014). The stark contrast makes 1981-82 to 1982-83 look like child's play, & is well documented in Laura Ingalls Wilders little house books.

Archived