joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2015 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drought will be the least of our worries when Danny track the bay and stalls. 

I know these are just tongue-in-cheek comments about the bay track, but the up-the-bay track does happen. A classic storm for our area took that track and even moved quite slowly for a tropical system at our latitude. Connie dumped lots of rain and gave us a prolonged period of tropical storm force gusts (peaking at 58 mph at DCA) that started the day before the center's closest approach (the highest wind gusts happened before the closest approach while Connie was stronger). It was a big-deal disruption for the area, with high water rescues in PG County and widespread power outages, and people stopped to prepare for the hurricane given what Hazel did the year before. 

connie1955filledrainblk.gif

Danielle '92 came pretty close to this track as well, making landfall as a strong TS:

danielle1992trk.gif

I'd give a lot to see a repeat of something like Connie.

I saw a program a little while ago (I think it was on Discovery) that described the worst-case hurricane scenarios for various gulf & east coast cities.

For DC, it was a Category 4 storm pulled NW by a negatively tilted trough, with a track through the mouth of the Bay, over the Tidal Potomac just SW of the city.

It really is. I was able to take a long walk today and run around this evening. I can't wait for fall now. We are almost there!

Absolutely. I love fall. Late summer is interesting, too. I've always had a deep fascination with tropical systems. Almost as much as Ragging coastal blizzards. Those are my absolute favorite lol.

BTW hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on here in forever. Been sick and my mom passed away last month. Ugh rough times. Hope we can get some good weather soon to get my mind off of things.

Sorry for your loss and glad you are feeling better. Welcome back

BTW hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on here in forever. Been sick and my mom passed away last month. Ugh rough times. Hope we can get some good weather soon to get my mind off of things.

Sorry to hear that. A few of us here have lost parents recently, not an easy thing to deal with. Hugs to you.

Archived