• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

92F with a stiff southwest wind, fairly low humidity, everything is dry as a bone out there.

I also think that 92*F makes this the hottest day of the year for Detroit, which is funny because things actually overachieved a tad thanks to the full sunshine we've seen all day.

DET also saw its warmest high of the season today at 91*F.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that 92*F makes this the hottest day of the year for Detroit, which is funny because things actually overachieved a tad thanks to the full sunshine we've seen all day.

DET also saw its warmest high of the season today at 91*F.

You are correct. Both were the hottest temp of the summer. Unusual diurnal range for this time of year. The low this morning was cooler than forecast and the high warmer than forecast. Actual high of 92 was +9F and low of 62 was -2F.

This was the 6th 90 of the year, and granted while we have had zero intense heat (90, 90, 91, 91, 91, 92) all but one of those days came in the last few weeks. Will this be the last 90 of the year? (based on august outlook its a decent bet). Not sure, but regardless we will finish a 3rd consecutive year we'll below normal:

2015- 6 days

2014- 4 days

2013- 7 days

Avg- 12 days per year

You are correct. Both were the hottest temp of the summer. Unusual diurnal range for this time of year. The low this morning was cooler than forecast and the high warmer than forecast. Actual high of 92 was +9F and low of 62 was -2F.

This was the 6th 90 of the year, and granted while we have had zero intense heat (90, 90, 91, 91, 91, 92) all but one of those days came in the last few weeks. Will this be the last 90 of the year? (based on august outlook its a decent bet). Not sure, but regardless we will finish a 3rd consecutive year we'll below normal:

2015- 6 days

2014- 4 days

2013- 7 days

Avg- 12 days per year

DTW had 90s in September last year and from a climo perspective, there's still several weeks of reasonable potential to hit 90. My guess would be that this is not the last 90 degree day but it's only a guess.

DTW had 90s in September last year and from a climo perspective, there's still several weeks of reasonable potential to hit 90. My guess would be that this is not the last 90 degree day but it's only a guess.

Last year, there was only one 90*F (93*F to be exact) day in September. It was also the same day that featured the widespread damaging wind event thanks to full, unabated sunshine until the early evening hours. 

Potential is still certainly there for more 90*F days, but the synoptic pattern at least in the foreseeable future doesn't support it. 

DTW did hit 90F once last Sept (Sept 5th), and it was the most uncomfortable day of the year.

The average date of the last 90F is August 24th, and the latest on record is October 8th. 11 times Detroit has seen its hottest temp of the year set in September, and we have even seen a few 100F days in Sept (1939 & 1953).

Its certainly possible to see more 90s, I just meant with the outlook of a cooler than normal August/September, I wouldnt be surprised if this was the last. I am confident this will be our 3rd straight below normal year however, cannot see 6+ 90s being pulled out of Mother Natures hat from here on out.

Last year, there was only one 90*F (93*F to be exact) day in September. It was also the same day that featured the widespread damaging wind event thanks to full, unabated sunshine until the early evening hours. 

Potential is still certainly there for more 90*F days, but the synoptic pattern at least in the foreseeable future doesn't support it. 

Last year, DTW had 4 days of 90F+...1 in June, 1 in July, 1 in August, 1 in September lol.

Yeah I didn't mean 90s in the plural form during last September, but just that it made it into the 90s.

Well it finally made it to 90° the day I return from CO. Enjoyed the high mountain cool, dry air for 7 days with highs in the 65-72° range and lows between 32-42°.

Will be posting some photos in the gallery in the next day or two.

Well it finally made it to 90° the day I return from CO. Enjoyed the high mountain cool, dry air for 7 days with highs in the 65-72° range and lows between 32-42°.

Will be posting some photos in the gallery in the next day or two.

welcome back, Geos.  Can't wait to see your pics!

was 49 this morning...doesn't feel much like summer and isn't going to this week.

Pretty typical August day today, high of 79° with mostly sunny skies. Grass seemed to have responded to the rain last night.

One photo I took over northern Iowa yesterday, shows the towers nicely from the air.

post-7389-0-52702800-1438658111_thumb.jp

The month of summer here was fun.  Temp this morning is 43, with numerous 30's inland away from the lake more.

Bo, as much as I enjoy winter, I need more than one month of summer. That being said, I'd love to visit up there in the dead of winter.

Going to be a beautiful, Chamber of Commerce day here.

An interesting Ci formation as the sun was rising this morning:

post-830-0-12440400-1438772462_thumb.jpg

The month of summer here was fun.  Temp this morning is 43, with numerous 30's inland away from the lake more.

Yeah I was just saying for down here. I know you can get 40° readings anytime of year! lol

Will be a really nice day with NE winds.

Bo, as much as I enjoy winter, I need more than one month of summer. That being said, I'd love to visit up there in the dead of winter.

Going to be a beautiful, Chamber of Commerce day here.

An interesting Ci formation as the sun was rising this morning:

attachicon.gif080515Ci.jpg

It's not so bad.  I call summer weather anything over 75.  And July was consistently in the 70's some 80's and even a 92.

June is still a pretty cool month on average, with sporadic warmish days, but with L Superior still in the upper 30's to 40 at that point, it's hard to get a lot warmer. I bet you would love January here.... if nothing else than a few days.  It's something to see!

Yeah I was just saying for down here. I know you can get 40° readings anytime of year! lol

Will be a really nice day with NE winds.

I knew what you meant, I just replied to reply I guess.  So far I have experienced readings in the 30's every month but August so far, but it's pretty common especially towards then end of the month.  High today so far has been 67.

Here's some of the cooler lows from last night.

Parts of the UP start to peak in color in 6 weeks or so.

Archived