• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 2015 Pattern and Disco

Ginx snewx

Agreed, which is why I like to take the hottest temperatures from the typically hottest locations in the valley and downslope areas. That gives us a good idea where the true heat and heat wave is.

And it's why I like to take the dew point readings from areas that are grassy, forested, in the suburbs that aren't in a modified or asphalt  type environment, So no matter where you are, you are getting the best possible representation of any type of weather observation you are most interested in.  I.e..take the heat from the areas that should be hottest and the dews from the areas should be the dewiest..etc etc

i am most interested in snowfall. that's why i report the snowfall from the picnic tables atop Mt Mansfield for MBY

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just disagree that it is the "best representation of any type of weather you are most interested in."  I think you are looking for the "most extreme possible representation of any type of weather you are interested in." 

I think of "best representation" as tossing out the outliers and picking the middle ground.

The ASOS dews are just field climo dews.  I know a few of the big airports in SNE may have some tarmac issues, but even the podunk small airfields in NNE have ASOS where the dews are lower than the local PWS.  So I'm not sure I completely buy ASOS dews being lower than PWS as artificially modified.  BDL's dews run lower than local PWS, but so does the podunk MVL ASOS up here.  Its just a different climo siting with better potential for mixing out than in a treed area.

Here's a good example.

Noon obs..higher point of mixing

BDL is 86/70

Tolland Stem

10 Minute Wind Gust:

7 mph
Anemometer:5 mph
Barometer:29.99 in. Hg
Barometer Tendency:Steady 
Condensation / Dew:0 lwi
Dewpoint:73.0 °F
Greenhouse Humidity:

Here's Boston heat wave from August 11-18 of 2002:

90, 90, 101, 94, 94, 96, 95

Earlier in the month they had 2 days in a row of 93 and in July they had 2 days at 97.

Now thats a hot summer...this year not so much.

Easily the hottest of my going-on-18 summers here.  Farmington had three heatwaves, including a 6-day run in mid-August and 91, 95, 94 on Sept 8-10.  Not quite up with July 1911, when 1-13 brought two 6-day heatwaves separated by the 88 on 7/7, with each streak including 2 days of 100+ and 2 more 96-99.

Here's a good example.

Noon obs..higher point of mixing

BDL is 86/70

Tolland Stem

10 Minute Wind Gust:

7 mph
Anemometer:5 mph
Barometer:29.99 in. Hg
Barometer Tendency:Steady 
Condensation / Dew:0 lwi
Dewpoint:73.0 °F
Greenhouse Humidity:

BDL...91/69

IJD...89/69

ORH...85/64

That all makes sense...dews are fairly consistent at BDL/IJD and then decrease with elevation up to ORH. 

At any rate ... Kind of what some folks have been discussing how this whole 14-21 day period would end up being remembered for constant high dews as opposed to the high heat

@RachelFrank_CT: Chipping away at the heat. The humidity is here to stay. Slight chance for a shower Wed-Thu. Rain more likely Fri. http://t.co/PuK7dXGlBG

At any rate ... Kind of what some folks I have been discussing how this whole 14-21 day period would end up being remembered for constant high dews as opposed to the high heat

@RachelFrank_CT: Chipping away at the heat. The humidity is here to stay. Slight chance for a shower Wed-Thu. Rain more likely Fri. http://t.co/PuK7dXGlBG

Fixed.

Fingers crossed that it stays dry over the weekend. Open house both days and I want our place under agreement by Tuesday evening next week.

? rain inside the house? I am volunteering umpiring at our Animal Rescues groups softball tourney Sat, hopefully main action is WNE. All ens keep trough, cooler weather for next couple of weeks. Nice final heat wave though. wet muggies to end it, pretty useless weather next couple of days.

? rain inside the house? I am volunteering umpiring at our Animal Rescues groups softball tourney Sat, hopefully main action is WNE. All ens keep trough, cooler weather for next couple of weeks. Nice final heat wave though. wet muggies to end it, pretty useless weather next couple of days.

Music to my ears.

I was certain that my glee would be met with resistance from some, but incorrect information will not sour my mood.

Forward and onward....

The gist of the trough ends up up to our west over the Lakes..Sort of like in the winter when you might see a broad trough..but it's still sw flow aloft along the east coast. It does open the door for a mild down or 2 with weak fropas..but there's no below normal or cool  fall air thru day 15 over us.But also no sustained heat like we've had the last week..Dews will still be around in varying degrees

The gist of the trough ends up up to our west over the Lakes..Sort of like in the winter when you might see a broad trough..but it's still sw flow aloft along the east coast. It does open the door for a mild down or 2 with weak fropas..but there's no below normal or cool  fall air thru day 15 over us.But also no sustained heat like we've had the last week..Dews will still be around in varying degrees

Hey, it's modified....I'm not trying to imply that the 'ole weenie tip will be frost capped....just a respite of some sort.

Archived