Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
August 2015 Pattern and Disco

Ginx snewx

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true on that end, a nice heat wave should contain a 97-98 scorcher mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone

Here's Boston heat wave from August 11-18 of 2002:

90, 90, 101, 94, 94, 96, 95

Earlier in the month they had 2 days in a row of 93 and in July they had 2 days at 97.

Now thats a hot summer...this year not so much.

Wed will be 5..Then the humidity gets so high that temps will have trouble getting there thru the weekend. I like my 7-8 days call by end of warm season

The ridge breaks down and the dews slightly lower this weekend. After Tue/Wed, the odds of seeing 90 seem pretty low for over a week. Perhaps we get a more favored look towards the last weekend of the month but the airmass has to be hotter than it is now by early September otherwise it's 87-89 and not 90=92.

The ridge breaks down and the dews slightly lower this weekend. After Tue/Wed, the odds of seeing 90 seem pretty low for over a week. Perhaps we get a more favored look towards the last weekend of the month but the airmass has to be hotter than it is now by early September otherwise it's 87-89 and not 90=92.

I agree on the heat knocking back, but dews get even higher this weekend as the front hangs up just to our west or sort of washes out over New Eng.. So maybe more storms around in the soup

For those who are looking forward to a hot end of August and nasty hot and humid beginning to September, may I invite you to attend two back to back AP classes on the sunny side of the school I will be offering them in? They are mid day so, with high dewpoints and several days of heat, they should be quite toasty. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, 24 sophomores in one of them. Might bring back some happy memories for those of you who relish this kind of weather. No AC, of course.

BDL past two afternoons have been 64-65F dews during max heating.

Even my electronic station surrounded by vegetation has been in the 60s at the peak of day time heating. 

Speaking of dews, I was hoping to be able to get them from the AirNow station in town at 980' because it's an ASOS quality station but their humidity sensor seems to be down.  That would be the closest to getting an accurate dewpoint "where people live".  The station has a good siting too.  I have an inquiry out to see if it can be fixed.

How about wooded areas?

Just the other day you said you are not at all concerned with what those areas are.  You are only concerned with verifying the big climate site in CT.

So are we taking temperatures at BDL and supplying the dews from the wooded hills?  So when the convo turns to temperatures, we use BDL.  But when discussing dews we go with the PWS?  I'm confused.

I'm not concerned about what 1,000 feet hits. They/we never have a chance for a heat wave..and certainly not in late August. I'm concerned at verifying at the big climate site in CT.

Just the other day you said you are not at all concerned with what those areas hit.  You are only concerned with verifying the big climate site in CT.

So are we taking temperatures at BDL and supplying the dews from the wooded hills?  Cherry pick the obs we want?

We take valley maxes, high terrain mins, and countryside dews. I thought you knew this by now.

Just the other day you said you are not at all concerned with what those areas are. You are only concerned with verifying the big climate site in CT.

So are we taking temperatures at BDL and supplying the dews from the wooded hills? So when the convo turns to temperatures, we use BDL. But when discussing dews we go with the highest PWS we can find?

We use torch areas for heatwave for forecast verification . Dews are measured where folks live eat and breathe

We take valley maxes, high terrain mins, and countryside dews. I thought you knew this by now.

Yeah it just makes my head spin lol.

Pick an instrument or a spot and stick with it.

He's rounding all the bases to make sure he's got 70+ dews in the daytime, but also 90F+ ambient, and then nightime temps in the 70s.

Unfortunately that's not New England climo so he's gotta use three different spots to get his ideal climate haha.

Yeah it just makes my head spin lol.

Pick an instrument or a spot and stick with it.

He's rounding all the bases to make sure he's got 70+ dews in the daytime, but also 90F+ ambient, and then nightime temps in the 70s.

Unfortunately that's not New England climo so he's gotta use three different spots to get his ideal climate haha.

Wow...GON dew of 72F!

Wow...BDL high of 93F!

Wow...ORH low of 70F!

Just trying to enjoy the weather and make it fun no matter ones perspective .

You certainly make conversation haha.  I think some of us just have a respect for proper observations (consistency is the main part of good observations) and try to keep it realistic. It may not be overly exciting or fun... but its certainly a topic we discuss on here a lot lol.

You certainly make conversation haha.  I think some of us just have a respect for proper observations (consistency is the main part of good observations) and try to keep it realistic. It may not be overly exciting or fun... but its certainly a topic we discuss on here a lot lol.

Agreed, which is why I like to take the hottest temperatures from the typically hottest locations in the valley and downslope areas. That gives us a good idea where the true heat and heat wave is.

And it's why I like to take the dew point readings from areas that are grassy, forested, in the suburbs that aren't in a modified or asphalt  type environment, So no matter where you are, you are getting the best possible representation of any type of weather observation you are most interested in.  I.e..take the heat from the areas that should be hottest and the dews from the areas should be the dewiest..etc etc

Agreed, which is why I like to take the hottest temperatures from the typically hottest locations in the valley and downslope areas. That gives us a good idea where the true heat and heat wave is.

And it's why I like to take the dew point readings from areas that are grassy, forested, in the suburbs that aren't in a modified or asphalt  type environment, So no matter where you are, you are getting the best possible representation of any type of weather observation you are most interested in.  I.e..take the heat from the areas that should be hottest and the dews from the areas should be the dewiest..etc etc

I just disagree that it is the "best representation of any type of weather you are most interested in."  I think you are looking for the "most extreme possible representation of any type of weather you are interested in." 

I think of "best representation" as tossing out the outliers and picking the middle ground.

The ASOS dews are just field climo dews.  I know a few of the big airports in SNE may have some tarmac issues, but even the podunk small airfields in NNE have ASOS where the dews are lower than the local PWS.  So I'm not sure I completely buy ASOS dews being lower than PWS as artificially modified.  BDL's dews run lower than local PWS, but so does the podunk MVL ASOS up here.  Its just a different climo siting with better potential for mixing out than in a treed area.

I just disagree that it is the "best representation of any type of weather you are most interested in."  I think you are looking for the "most extreme possible representation of any type of weather you are interested in." 

I think of "best representation" as tossing out the outliers and picking the middle ground.

The ASOS dews are just field climo dews.  I know a few of the big airports in SNE may have some tarmac issues, but even the podunk small airfields in NNE have ASOS where the dews are lower than the local PWS.  So I'm not sure I completely buy ASOS dews being lower than PWS as artificially modified.  BDL's dews run lower than local PWS, but so does the podunk MVL ASOS up here.  Its just a different climo siting with better potential for mixing out than in a treed area.

Kevin doesn't care about siting. He only cares what particular site gives the most extreme weather at the time (he just admitted this above). So if it's a PWS getting hit with a grass sprinkler to give 74F dewpoints, then he uses it. If it's a BDL thermometer that has started to drift warm on MADIS and is in the best downslope location to boot in his region, then he uses that for ambient air temperature.

It's not about accuracy for him, its about just reporting the most extreme weather observatons regardless if they are sited correctly or representative of the area.

As long as everyone understands that, then they can read his posts knowing that they are not using them for accurate weather obs. Just what outliers might be reporting.

Archived