• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion

Powerball

never going to happen, it's the worst way on earth to live. Pretty good chance i'll move to a small town in the countryside somewhere when i'm old though

I shouldn't have said suburban. I meant a house in general. There are those in the city limits of Chicago, so that isn't exactly burb.

If you raise that kid downtown for 18 years, that's a hell of a thing. Of course I'm from SE Michigan, so my perspective is probably warped.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guilty as charged with wanting a nice, well manicured, weed free lawn....

I am not a "don't walk on my grass" nazi, but I do live on a golf course and am not crazy if someone plays a ball out of my grass. Otherwise we play a lot of games in the yard, bags, horseshoes, Kübb, etc; so I like the lawn fluffy and green so we can use the space.

Guilty as charged with wanting a nice, well manicured, weed free lawn....

I am not a "don't walk on my grass" nazi, but I do live on a golf course and am not crazy if someone plays a ball out of my grass. Otherwise we play a lot of games in the yard, bags, horseshoes, Kübb, etc; so I like the lawn fluffy and green so we can use the space.

Yeah....I'm down with that....if you use the lawn then imo you can do whatever you want with it...the peeps who cut the edges with scissors and pull out the gun when a wiffle ball flies on it are a bit much for me lol

Pretty hefty looking mini bow headed towards just north of Cambridge now

UGN receiving 0.40" of rain earlier. Now just cloudy and mid 70s. 

On lawns... I don't care who or what crosses the lawn. Landscaping with native grasses and plants is the most environmentally friendly thing you could do and I see more and more people transferring over to that look. In fact there is a subdivision that was planned specifically with sustainability in mind called Prairie Crossing in Grayslake, IL. All native plants were used for landscaping. A yard full of tall grass that was planted with purpose isn't lazy, it is smart. Why have a lawn that costs a bunch of money to up keep? It frees up time to do other things you enjoy more. I have a neighbor that think he has to water his lawn at the first sign of yellow grass - drives me nuts. In 2012 he had to let it go, because he and everyone on the block is on a well. That my $0.02.

Maybe a miss NW for you? At least one can hope.

Any direction it might miss would work for me. :lol:

But everything back to DVN looks like it's going to dump on this area tonight.

I never thought I'd ever root for no rain, but the June deluge was too much.

Don't see this in the point everyday. I thought 4"+ of rain today would get rid of the smoke. It's never been thicker than it is right now.

The smoke is collecting behind the cold front. Sounds like the drier air mass is acting to pull it down.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

607 PM CDT MON JUL 6 2015

WIZ046-047-051-052-056>060-062>072-070200-

MARQUETTE-GREEN LAKE-FOND DU LAC-SHEBOYGAN-SAUK-COLUMBIA-DODGE-

WASHINGTON-OZAUKEE-IOWA-DANE-JEFFERSON-WAUKESHA-MILWAUKEE-

LAFAYETTE-GREEN-ROCK-WALWORTH-RACINE-KENOSHA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTELLO...BERLIN...FOND DU LAC...

SHEBOYGAN...BARABOO...PORTAGE...WISCONSIN DELLS...BEAVER DAM...

WEST BEND...PORT WASHINGTON...DODGEVILLE...MADISON...JEFFERSON...

LAKE MILLS...WAUKESHA...BROOKFIELD...MILWAUKEE...DARLINGTON...

MONROE...JANESVILLE...BELOIT...ELKHORN...LAKE GENEVA...RACINE...

KENOSHA

607 PM CDT MON JUL 6 2015

...LOOK FOR AREAS OF SMOKE BEHIND COLD FRONT TONIGHT...

SATELLITE IMAGERY...WEATHER OBSERVATIONS AND SPOTTER REPORTS ACROSS

MINNESOTA AND NORTHWEST WISCONSIN INDICATE THERE IS AN AREA OF

SMOKE COLLECTING IN THE WAKE OF AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT. THAT

FRONT WILL TRACK ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN THIS EVENING...REACHING

MADISON BY AROUND 9 PM AND MILWAUKEE CLOSER TO MIDNIGHT.

ONCE THE FRONT PASSES BY VISIBILITIES MAY DROP TO 1 TO 2 MILES

AND YOU MAY EVEN SMELL THE ODOR OF SMOKE. THIS SMOKE CONTINUES TO

BE CAUSED BY CANADIAN WILDFIRES AND ITS HEADED SOUTH DUE TO THE

NORTHERLY WINDS BEHIND THE FRONT.

WE/RE NOT ENTIRELY SURE HOW LONG THE SMOKE WILL LINGER...BUT

THOSE WITH A RESPIRATORY CONDITION THAT MAY BE AGGRAVATED BY THE SMOKE

SHOULD BE PREPARED TO SEEK AN INDOOR LOCATION. THE SMOKE SHOULD

CLEAR OUT BY MORNING.

Evidently the air quality in Minneapolis today was worse than Beijing.

AQI at 5pm was 187. Peak in Beijing was 167. The scale only goes to 200, so it was unreal today.

I remember a hazy day last week, but couldn't remember which.

Sun is going down and all, but you can see that milky signature well - particularly in SE MN.

attachicon.gifsmoke070615.png

Very cool view. Thanks Geos.

post-830-0-05275400-1436233129_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE PRECIPITATION DISCUSSION 0317NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD822 PM EDT MON JUL 06 2015 AREAS AFFECTED...NORTHERN ILLINOIS...NORTHWEST INDIANA  CONCERNING...HEAVY RAINFALL...FLASH FLOODING POSSIBLE  VALID 070021Z - 070621Z SUMMARY...MULTIPLE ROUNDS OF STRONG AND EFFICIENT RAINFALLPRODUCING CELLS COULD LEAD TO POSSIBLE  FLASH FLOOD CONDITIONS. DISCUSSION...VERY STRONG COLD FRONT MARCHES ACROSS THE CENTRALU.S. AHEAD OF AN UPPER LEVEL TROF WITH EMBEDDED SHORTWAVES ALONGIT.  THE BASE OF THE TROF SHORTWAVE CONTINUE TO PRESS OUT OFNEBRASKA/KANSAS INTO NORTHERN MISSOURI. ANOTHER VORT LOBE ISANALYZED OVER NORTHEAST IOWA INTO WISCONSIN WITH A VERY TIGHTNARROW RIDGE DOWNSTREAM FROM SOUTHWEST MICHIGAN INTO THE OZARKS. THIS LEADS TO A FLAT FLOW PATTERN PARALLEL TO AN E-W OUTFLOWBOUNDARY THAT WAS EJECTED FROM THE EARLY MORNING CONVECTION ACROSSTHE DISCUSSION AREA.  A LEADING CONVECTIVE AREA CURRENTLY OVERNORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS WILL BECOME AFFECTED BY THE RIDGE A BITMORE SLOWING ITS FORWARD PROGRESS WHILE ALLOWING FOR CELLS MOTIONSTO TURN SOUTH INTO THE MORE DIFFLUENT FLOW INTO NORTHWEST INDIANA. WHILE THE SECOND CONVECTIVE COMPLEX ALONG THE FLATTER FLOW IN THESHORTWAVE RIDGING BETWEEN THE VORT LOBES IS ORIENTING MOREEAST-WEST ALLOWING FOR SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL INFLOW TO BE MOREPERPENDICULAR TO TRACK OF THE CELLS.  THIS WILL PUMP 3000 J/KGCAPES AND MID-70S DEWPOINT AIR INTO THE SECOND COMPLEX MAKING ITHIGHLY EFFICIENT WITH RAIN RATES IN EXCESS OF 2"/HR.  WITH THEFIRST ROUND LAYING DOWN SOME DESCENT TOTALS...THE MORE EFFICIENTSECOND ROUND HAS A HIGHER POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING.   GALLINA

Archived