joxey
July 2015 Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of people swimming in LM lately

Haha, really...!

I guess the map doesn't show the water temperatures at the shore very well. This will be the summer where most everyone goes to the inland lakes.

Seen people on the water in boats up here, but very few people venturing in at all.

Crisp morning. 53F at DTW but 45F at ARB. DTW only missed record low by 5F. Of course that was an hourly temp. With some seasonable temps on the way for a few days, Im fully expecting, in these next few clear, sunny days, one of those infamous intra-hour highs. You know, something like 86F when the highest hourly temp was 82F.

Haha, really...!

I guess the map doesn't show the water temperatures at the shore very well. This will be the summer where most everyone goes to the inland lakes.

Seen people on the water in boats up here, but very few people venturing in at all.

Chicago shore temp is 68.

Crisp morning. 53F at DTW but 45F at ARB. DTW only missed record low by 5F. Of course that was an hourly temp. With some seasonable temps on the way for a few days, Im fully expecting, in these next few clear, sunny days, one of those infamous intra-hour highs. You know, something like 86F when the highest hourly temp was 82F.

It's a vast ____ wing conspiracy!  :lol:

Haha. You should request that DTW change their hourly METAR to :33 minutes past the hour, problem solved. :lol:

Another cool morning, low of 51°.

Lake Erie warm enough in some places though.

And still running way behind the past 5 years. The lack of sunny days is really keeping the lake from warming up.

post-599-0-99058200-1435947295_thumb.jpg

Lol denying what? The Detroit posters have noticed this all the time. There is nothing up for debate. I am not saying it's a conspiracy either (though I know Hoosier was joking). It is what it is. For some reason on many days the high at dtw mysteriously is 2, 3, sometimes 4 degrees higher than any hourly reading. The low is almost always either the lowest hourly temp or 1 degree lower. 1 or 2 degrees I can see, 3-4 degrees when no other area stations see this makes no sense. That's all I'm saying. It's not as if it's affected anything in the below normal temp pattern we have now been in for 2.5 years. It's just something those of us into statistics notice, especially when the weather is boring. It isn't as pertinent on a weather board as zzzzzzz I suppose.

Lol denying what? The Detroit posters have noticed this all the time. There is nothing up for debate. I am not saying it's a conspiracy either (though I know Hoosier was joking). It is what it is. For some reason on many days the high at dtw mysteriously is 2, 3, sometimes 4 degrees higher than any hourly reading. The low is almost always either the lowest hourly temp or 1 degree lower. 1 or 2 degrees I can see, 3-4 degrees when no other area stations see this makes no sense. That's all I'm saying. It's not as if it's affected anything in the below normal temp pattern we have now been in for 2.5 years. It's just something those of us into statistics notice, especially when the weather is boring. It isn't as pertinent on a weather board as zzzzzzz I suppose.

I've never paid attention at LAF, IND or wherever to see if something similar exists.  I think you'd have to document it on a daily basis over the course of say several months to see if it's a real phenomenon.  If there is something to less intrahour temperature dips at night, could a possible explanation be that areas that don't radiate well are less likely to fluctuate compared to rural areas? (I think you've mentioned that DTW doesn't radiate nearly as well as it used to)

And still running way behind the past 5 years. The lack of sunny days is really keeping the lake from warming up.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cloud definitely a significant factor. 

I've seen more wind surfers/kite surfers than I ever have at the lake front this season. Hanging out on the sandy beaches should be pretty comfortable on a day like today.

Now if the air temperature was actually warmer, those 60s right at the beach would feel really good.

I've never paid attention at LAF, IND or wherever to see if something similar exists.  I think you'd have to document it on a daily basis over the course of say several months to see if it's a real phenomenon.  If there is something to less intrahour temperature dips at night, could a possible explanation be that areas that don't radiate well are less likely to fluctuate compared to rural areas? (I think you've mentioned that DTW doesn't radiate nearly as well as it used to)

I notice it more during period of very sunny or unseasonably warm weather. Certainly not saying it was every day. In fact it was Powerball who brought up a day earlier in June when the high at DTW was 73F but the highest hourly ob was like 68 or 69F. It was enough that one of the local TV weathermen noted it. Obviously Im not saying it happens every day either.  Im not even debating the lows OR the highs per say, just questioning why there is this quirk.

As for DTW….I drive past there every day for work. I have noticed that on the south side of the airport it is unusually cold. Its very wooded and Im assuming the elevation dips. On Feb 20th, the low at DTW was -13F but when I drove past there my car read -22F. The more the radiational cooling night, the more extreme. But its always cooler, even in the middle of the day. One day recently my car read 76F when I get off the freeway, dropped to 72F when I drove past that spot a mile away, then once I got another 2 miles or so down the road it was back up to 76F. Im wondering if the thermometer was located near the south side of the airport in the ‘70s? No doubt there was less UHI then, but DTW is still quite wooded/rural outside of the concrete airport. I have looked up some of these lows from the 1970s and they are crazy radiation, as in I cant find a spot as cold or colder anywhere in SE MI for those dates that featured excellent  radiational cooling. So that is my theory (thermometer placement has moved), but I have nothing to confirm it. Though your idea of maybe having less radiational cooling for intra-hour dips (versus nothing to stop intra hour spikes) isn't a bad thought.

Then JUST to the west of DTW, we have YIP, which ALWAYS torches in the afternoon higher than anywhere else, falls back in with surrounding areas (actually on the cooler side sometimes) at night. Then west of that, ARB has the ridiculous temperature drops at night (again, more extreme on excellent radiating nights), but they then rise to be in line with the rest of the area for the afternoon.

Let me give you an example of…lets say a good July radiational cooling night. And Im totally making these numbers up btw, for an example:

DTW: 81F/52F

YIP: 85F/51F

ARB: 79F/44F

Random backyard thermometer near these places: 79F/49F

The bottom line is, with microclimates, elevations, and even marine influences, I do NOT expect uniform temps over an area, and I DO expect each station to stay in line with their usual biases. My only question was the intra hour spikes of 3 or more degrees.

The temperatures are accurate here, whether the high falls at exactly :53 past the hour or any other minute, which by the way has a 59 out 60 chance of happening. Also the thermometer hasn't moved since being put in by my boss back in the early 90s. The only difference is the airport has expanded in the last 25 years. Before that time the temperature was taken by hand I believe from the old NWS office which is about 100 yards away from the location of the current sensor.

Here is the location of the sensor: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/KDTW

Again there isn't any sort of conspiracy about temperatures. No one is cooking the books and to be honest it is a bit insulting to suggest someone would too.

More concrete with the airport expansion in the last 20 years.

The temperatures are accurate here, whether the high falls at exactly :53 past the hour or any other minute, which by the way has a 59 out 60 chance of happening. Also the thermometer hasn't moved since being put in by my boss back in the early 90s. The only difference is the airport has expanded in the last 25 years. Before that time the temperature was taken by hand I believe from the old NWS office which is about 100 yards away from the location of the current sensor.

Here is the location of the sensor: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/KDTW

Again there isn't any sort of conspiracy about temperatures. No one is cooking the books and to be honest it is a bit insulting to suggest someone would too.

That's a good piece of info regarding temp sensors. I had no idea if they moved on the airport grounds.

No one was suggesting that. At least i wasnt. It could very well be the concrete of the airport (even tho the asos isn't located on Concrete) causing those intra hour bumps. I'm not at all implying the temperatures are wrong, I'm more pondering WHY that happens. I know first order stations asos are given immediate attention if anything actually were to malfunction.

That's a good piece of info regarding temp sensors. I had no idea if they moved on the airport grounds.

No one was suggesting that. At least i wasnt. It could very well be the concrete of the airport (even tho the asos isn't located on Concrete) causing those intra hour bumps. I'm not at all implying the temperatures are wrong, I'm more pondering WHY that happens. I know first order stations asos are given immediate attention if anything actually were to malfunction.

Yeah the only move was from the NWS building to the automated sensors at this location.

With all the concrete you are just going to have excessive thermo convection as it heats up faster than moist ground. The timing of the thermo convection is random, you just don't know when a warmer parcel of air will pass over the sensors from day to day. Inner-hour bumps are within the realm of error though, and in the 6 years I have been working here there has only been one known temperature error and that was corrected by the NWS as it was well out of the range of error and due to a sensor issue.

Awesome day here; high of 72°. A far cry from the starting of the major heat wave in 2012. 96° three years ago today.

75 today, was 94 three years ago. It was 80 on June 29, when 3 years prior we reached 101 degrees before the derecho came through... and the high was 35 degrees on March 2, 3 years after the tornado outbreak. Funny what a difference a few years can make.

82 and sunny for the 4th. I'll take it.

Forecast of 81F today and mid-80s next two days. It will be interesting to see how it feels haha. Last above normal day was 6/23 (+1F). Tomorrow or Monday has a slight shot.

I know a few people who admitted to turning the heat on in their cars yesterday morning. I was at the Tigers game last night, sitting directly in the sun, and it wasnt hot at all. Granted it was evening, but I even said to my friend, can you believe its July? As soon as the sun went down, the light cool breeze felt great. Three years ago today DTW set a record high of 102F.

That 7.9 is frickin brutal. I would venture to say that even February had more sun

Sent from my iPhone

Thus also why this June overall was just downright awful (even with the "warm" overnight lows).

Hazy skies notwithstanding, I think this will be the first mostly sunny day we've seen in at least a couple weeks (see satellite image above).

Even yesterday, when the stratocumulus finally mixed out, we still had to contend with Cirrostratus/Opaque clouds for majority of the day. 

It's not just DTW though.

DET doesn't heat up as efficiently as it used to either, even with west wind/downsloping days. 

Archived