• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2015 Discussion

Powerball

I do know for certain the smoke can sometimes help when it comes to cloud seeding.

Cloud seeding is at least known to enhance rainfall.

I'd have to go back and check but I believe the authors' contention was that the smoke lowered the LCL heights and somehow affected the wind shear on 4/27/11. 

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of smoke caught up on the west side of Lake Michigan right now.  

wisgif32.gif

Can easily see the plume start up at the top of this image on the Prairie Provinces.

SK_MB.vis.gif

Not a bad day though for early July. About 76° currently.

I think this is a bit cool, due to the fireworks here locally and around Chicago. MDW, ORD, DTW and PTK are all calling smoke observations.

KMDW 050353Z 00000KT 5SM FU FEW006 23/14 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP159 FU FEW006 T02280144

KORD 050351Z 15005KT 4SM FU FEW007 19/14 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP165 FU FEW007 T01940139

KPTK 050353Z 00000KT 4SM FU OVC200 18/14 A3005 RMK AO2 SLP171 LAST AUGMENTED OBS NEXT 10Z T01780144

KDTW 050353Z 18003KT 6SM FU FEW012 BKN220 19/15 A3006 RMK AO2 SLP176 FU FEW012 T01940150

DTW had smoke for 3 consecutive hours.

^not bad, more fireworks and less 1.5" dustings ;)

weather is beautiful but super boring

lake really keeping things on the comfortable side

Should be a hot one for all tomorrow and with bad FROPA timing, not expecting much in the way in storms tomorrow night before a return to a cool pattern for at least a few days.

It's even smokier today. Can't even see the blue skies (although there's little cloud cover).

When I woke up this morning I didn't even have any rays coming in my south facing window, and I thought "wow, clear skies bust today" and then I looked out and noticed it was just the smoke obscuring things. So weird. It definitely kept the temps down today.

Wow, you got a good camera for taking fireworks! Awesome Snow Freak.  :thumbsup:

Missed 80° by 1°. Skies were never very blue today. Thinking that the haziness/smoke aloft kept temperatures slightly under guidance. That was actually the case in some areas around Puget Sound I was reading - due to fires in Coastal Mts. of BC.

Yeah you definitely have a jungle Bo. Several more paces back and your house disappears from view I bet!

Somewhat odd point forecast for Tuesday...

Tuesday
Thunderstorms likely before 8am, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. South southwest wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Missed 80° by 1°. Skies were never very blue today. Thinking that the haziness/smoke aloft kept temperatures slightly under guidance. That was actually the case in some areas around Puget Sound I was reading - due to fires in Coastal Mts. of BC.

Wind was also cutting in off the water there.

Temps not quite as warm as expected today (smoky skies as others alluded to?), high 82F, so yet another below normal day.

Some pics of fireworks last night.

Very nice!

Hit 84 today.  Was the smokiest sky yet.  Looking forward to deep blue skies whenever that occurs again.  Haze is getting pretty old.

Wind was also cutting in off the water there.

Yeah I guess it was later in the afternoon.

Anyway~ sunset was orangish-red tonight. 

I think it was two summers ago there was fires in northern MN and the smoke was low enough in the atmosphere that you could smell it around here.

Yeah I guess it was later in the afternoon.

Anyway~ sunset was orangish-red tonight.

I think it was two summers ago there was fires in northern MN and the smoke was low enough in the atmosphere that you could smell it around here.

Yeah. Used to nice sunsets in my location out of my back yard, but just had the blood orange circle in the sky behind the haze.

Wow, you got a good camera for taking fireworks! Awesome Snow Freak. :thumbsup:

Yeah you definitely have a jungle Bo. Several more paces back and your house disappears from view I bet!

Thanks. It's actually the Samsung Galaxy 6. Has an amazing camera. Obviously a regular camera is still better for zooming, but the 6 is about the most clear, sharp camera I've ever seen for point and shoot.

Yeah today has under-performer written all over it. 82° at UGN and about 75° in Racine'.

Sun had a bit more color than usual this morning, so I still think there is some smoke up above. Primarily clouds are overhead now I think. Been very hazy with high level clouds today.

they are trying to catch up to the gust front and pulsing better now. Who knows how much we'll be able to see with all the haze and stuff

narrow ribbon of instability out ahead but nothing too impressive

on the plus side, the rain might help clear the air a bit

Archived