wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
cold pool hailers 7/1/2015?

weatherwiz

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That thing had about 120 knots of delta V on the 0.9 degree slice... so about 6300ft AGL there. That's pretty gnarly. 

BOX did a nice job with that one. 

Despite what certain posters think, I consider that a pretty impressive display for SNE. I mean we discussed this last night, has played out to plan so far.

Despite what certain posters think, I consider that a pretty impressive display for SNE. I mean we discussed this last night, has played out to plan so far.

That stuff this morning was pretty sweet. Finally got one of these s/w's to really approach from the SW and not shear out into Montreal.  Also, a really nice pocket of PV above 250mb coming in. One of those things that can help kick off storms. 

From my own point of view...we really need some "help" sometimes when it comes to convection. Those squall lines that form in NY state and then rip into NNE accompanied by good PVA, while we have rising height BS don't work out well around these parts in eastern SNE. Gimme some good forcing. It's kind of an equation. Big CAPE + Less forcing = Less CAPE but strong forcing. Obviously this is a little simplified, but you get the idea.  

At one point there the rotational velocity on it was like 60 knots, generally speaking around here 30 is a good point to start warning.

Seemed to have trouble tightening up at the lowest slice... but seeing those kind of velocities is really impressive.

To put that in perspective 60 knots of rotational velocity is what we saw for most of the Springfield tornado track at a similar altitude above ground level. 

The median rot V of all Connecticut tornadoes since 1995 on doppler radar is a pretty pathetic 22.5 knots. That said, with super resolution data these days I'm guessing it probably would be closer to 25 or 30 knots now. 

Seemed to have trouble tightening up at the lowest slice... but seeing those kind of velocities is really impressive.

To put that in perspective 60 knots of rotational velocity is what we saw for most of the Springfield tornado track at a similar altitude above ground level. 

The median rot V of all Connecticut tornadoes since 1995 on doppler radar is a pretty pathetic 22.5 knots. That said, with super resolution data these days I'm guessing it probably would be closer to 25 or 30 knots now. 

I think recent studies have put it at about 27 knots for a good trigger point around here.

I think recent studies have put it at about 27 knots for a good trigger point around here.

That sounds about right. Looking at archive radar data with the legacy resolution it's amazing how we were able to live with that. It's so coarse!

That sounds about right. Looking at archive radar data with the legacy resolution it's amazing how we were able to live with that. It's so coarse!

I can't wait until super-res seems like a thing from the past. "Back in my day, we warned on 8 bit data!"

"Oh, and get off my lawn!"

And today pretty much went AWT. CAMs really did a nice job with this event. Sneaky morning severe with the strong forcing and elevated instability and a bit of a struggle down here in SNE this afternoon. 

Yeah I agree. Pretty good with the overall evolution. Exact locations and details to be determined, but overall...really nice job.

60kts is freaking good..Jeez. Wonder why lower levels couldn't tighten as well. 

Man.  Kind of wish I was back in college.  Would do a research project on the Merrimack Valley tornado alley.

the eames days were fun ... 

0.85" from batch #1 this morning .. lets see if round #2 can hold together. just looking for a brief downpour and a gust to 30 knots or something .. not asking a lot :lol: 

Archived