• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
cold pool hailers 7/1/2015?

weatherwiz

A boundary, 0-1 km helicity, and 0-3 km CAPE are usually a pretty good combo to spin something from the ground up.

0-3 km shear and you're starting to get into a deeper meso, and a more "legit" tornado environment. I think of the waterspouts on Winnipesaukee the last few years. Those are mainly lake breeze induced deals, and those circulations don't extend much beyond 1 km above the surface.

You know how in NY off the lakes there seems to be like a coincidence in some of the tornado tracks from just off the lake?  is there anything similar in ME?  

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know how in NY off the lakes there seems to be like a coincidence in some of the tornado tracks from just off the lake?  is there anything similar in ME?  

Not really, our tornado hotbeds seem to be right up against the high terrain. Though we get fairly frequent waterspouts on the big lakes, which unfortunately count as tornadoes in the books.

Not really, our tornado hotbeds seem to be right up against the high terrain. Though we get fairly frequent waterspouts on the big lakes, which unfortunately count as tornadoes in the books.

and that's where there has to be some sort of separate classification as far as records go...at least for research purposes.  Many times waterspouts or tornadoes induced from kale boundaries are a different breed.  Although they are a component of mesoscale and microscale (probably more mnicroscale) which often are the leading contributors to our tornadoes, but those occurrences only seem to happen during certain times of the day 

Wiz, I actually like NE severe for some of the very same reasons you say you hate it. I learned to chase back in ‘04, spent a whole season out west, and I can tell you for certain that chasing has simply gotten too easy in the intervening years. It was a real challenge back when there was no radar info unless you stopped at a library, or very occasionally got lucky with cell phone reception using a laptop tether. Nowdays there’s so much info constantly available, including vastly superior model output, that almost anyone can chase the Plains and have a reasonably good chance of success. But in New England, ahh, good old New England… Forecasting and chasing severe here is a real challenge. I agree, you learn to do it here and you can do it anywhere, and what’s more, when you finally score here it will be that much more satisfying. Don’t let it get you down, winning against long odds is much more sweet than a sure thing. Sure, go out there and finally see a tube or two if you can afford it, but things can actually be much more interesting right where we are.

Wiz, I actually like NE severe for some of the very same reasons you say you hate it. I learned to chase back in ‘04, spent a whole season out west, and I can tell you for certain that chasing has simply gotten too easy in the intervening years. It was a real challenge back when there was no radar info unless you stopped at a library, or very occasionally got lucky with cell phone reception using a laptop tether. Nowdays there’s so much info constantly available, including vastly superior model output, that almost anyone can chase the Plains and have a reasonably good chance of success. But in New England, ahh, good old New England… Forecasting and chasing severe here is a real challenge. I agree, you learn to do it here and you can do it anywhere, and what’s more, when you finally score here it will be that much more satisfying. Don’t let it get you down, winning against long odds is much more sweet than a sure thing. Sure, go out there and finally see a tube or two if you can afford it, but things can actually be much more interesting right where we are.

For myself, as much as I would LOVE to witness big severe and be in the middle of it the thrill I really get from it is the forecasting aspect of it and just preparing people to be aware of it.  In the end that's all I really care about.  I mean don't get me wrong...when there is big potential for stuff and I get nothing I get incredibly pissed on the inside...however, when I hear from people I know that were affected and prepared b/c they asked me and I explained to them the potential...that is rewarding to me.  

But I know what you're saying...and this technology is certainly way better...especially if you chase b/c 1) you can get yourself to safety and 2) you can re-position yourself.  But New England is certainly a different breed and it is a ton of fun wishing and hoping and just watching things unfold

and that's where there has to be some sort of separate classification as far as records go...at least for research purposes.  Many times waterspouts or tornadoes induced from kale boundaries are a different breed.  Although they are a component of mesoscale and microscale (probably more mnicroscale) which often are the leading contributors to our tornadoes, but those occurrences only seem to happen during certain times of the day 

Our tornado occurrences up here are rare enough that it's pretty easy to hand toss the waterspout reports versus the true mesocyclone induced tornadoes.

Around here our most unique aspect is the terrain forcing when it comes to tornadogenesis. You don't see much in the way of case studies being done in the Midwest on mesocyclone stretching coming off terrain (a la Great Barrington).

A boundary, 0-1 km helicity, and 0-3 km CAPE are usually a pretty good combo to spin something from the ground up.

0-3 km shear and you're starting to get into a deeper meso, and a more "legit" tornado environment. I think of the waterspouts on Winnipesaukee the last few years. Those are mainly lake breeze induced deals, and those circulations don't extend much beyond 1 km above the surface.

Yeah 0-3KM shear will help with the big boys for sure. I just mean more for those quick 1-scan spinners we all know and love lol.

Archived