joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today certainly felt more like late November. Morning low was 20, only hit 35 for a high.

Looks like a threat for freezing rain tonight, already 32 degrees here as of 5 pm.

Hazardous Weather Outlook
HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY351 PM EST MON NOV 30 2015NYZ046-057-062-PAZ040-048-072-012100-OTSEGO-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-NORTHERN WAYNE-PIKE-SOUTHERN WAYNE-351 PM EST MON NOV 30 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL NEW YORK ANDNORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA..DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.RAIN WILL ARRIVE ACROSS THE AREA LATE TONIGHT. WITH LOWTEMPERATURES TONIGHT EXPECTED TO BE NEAR OR JUST BELOW FREEZING INMANY AREAS... PATCHES OF FREEZING RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE. ANYONEWITH TRAVEL PLANS SHOULD KEEP UP TO DATE ON THE LATEST FORECASTS..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.$$

Saw the HWO for the freezing rain Mount Holly put out. Most likely nothing here, they mentioned it being far North and West.

37° right now. Also IrishRob, last year around the 3rd week of November and into Thanksgiving ice began forming on the local lake with that cold we'd been having. It's a decent lake too, so it takes some cold to get it to glaze over in spots. Nothing this year yet.

JC - if its not going to snow who needs the cold. I like using 1/3 the heating oil and being able to continue outdoor activities. So yeah, that map is a cheery one :)

Being newly unemployed :( I really like the idea of excessive warmth for a while actually.

That stinks. Hopefully some new and better opportunities are waiting for you.

As for the warmth, yeah... it's probably no secret that I'm a fan of extreme cold, but seeing as even climo is out of the question for much of this month, I'll take +14C 850s. Even 50s with clouds is good hiking weather as long as it's not raining.

On a somewhat related note, sunset tomorrow is at 4:25, the earliest time (rounded to the minute) of the year... it recovers to 4:26 on the 14th and then it's off to the proverbial races. What's more, daily averages start their recovery in about six weeks. It's tempting to cancel the model subscriptions and start poring over seed catalogs...

That stinks. Hopefully some new and better opportunities are waiting for you.

As for the warmth, yeah... it's probably no secret that I'm a fan of extreme cold, but seeing as even climo is out of the question for much of this month, I'll take +14C 850s. Even 50s with clouds is good hiking weather as long as it's not raining.

On a somewhat related note, sunset tomorrow is at 4:25, the earliest time (rounded to the minute) of the year... it recovers to 4:26 on the 14th and then it's off to the proverbial races. What's more, daily averages start their recovery in about six weeks. It's tempting to cancel the model subscriptions and start poring over seed catalogs...

I'm glad someone else notices these things as most just assume the earliest sunset is on the shortest day of the year, much like they think that sunrise starts getting earlier after that day as well. 

I'm glad someone else notices these things as most just assume the earliest sunset is on the shortest day of the year, much like they thing that sunrise starts getting earlier after that day as well.

Isn't the shortest day on the solstice though? I always thought astronomically it was exactly the shortest amount of daylight. I even recall reading a book called the Shortest Day about the solstice when I was younger :D

Archived