• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

Isn't the shortest day on the solstice though? I always thought astronomically it was exactly the shortest amount of daylight. I even recall reading a book called the Shortest Day about the solstice when I was younger :D

It is the shortest day (owing to the earth's tilt relative to the sun), but due to timekeeping discrepancies, the sun's trek across the sky lags behind the solstice by a couple weeks. Earliest sunset and latest sunrise occur before and after the solstice, respectively... though it's pretty much imperceptible unless you're keenly aware of what's going on

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the shortest day (owing to the earth's tilt relative to the sun), but due to timekeeping discrepancies, the sun's trek across the sky lags behind the solstice by a couple weeks. Earliest sunset and latest sunrise occur before and after the solstice, respectively... though it's pretty much imperceptible unless you're keenly aware of what's going on

So it's the shortest day relative to the tilt, but the time lags behind.  Interesting, thanks for the explanation on that. 

So it's the shortest day relative to the tilt, but the time lags behind. Interesting, thanks for the explanation on that.

It's the shortest in terms of daylight, check this out and look at the sunrise and sunset times for December and January and you'll see what we are talking about. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york

Saw a pic on social media of some frozen stuff that fell this afternoon in the Newburgh area.  We have that going for us.

My incessant rain briefly mixed with grauple. Winter's in full swing.

So it's the shortest day relative to the tilt, but the time lags behind.  Interesting, thanks for the explanation on that. 

Well as Rob said, it's the shortest day in terms of daylight. In NYC, December 21 has just over 9 hours and 15 minutes of daylight... all the other days have slightly more. That's the result of the sun being on its furthest-south arc and spending the most time below the horizon and out of sight, from our viewpoint.

Now, most of us keep civil time, by which the day is exactly 24 hours long. The solar day, however, changes over the year, sometimes slightly shorter than 24 hours and sometimes slightly longer. Around the solstice, the solar day is something like 30 seconds longer than the civil day... the cumulative difference means that the sun hits its highest daily point about 7 minutes later on the solstice than on Earliest Sunset Day, about two weeks prior. Sunset time follows suit, though it only lags about four minutes since the horizon is still overtaking it, so to speak, until the solstice.

It's the shortest in terms of daylight, check this out and look at the sunrise and sunset times for December and January and you'll see what we are talking about. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york

My incessant rain briefly mixed with grauple. Winter's in full swing.

Well as Rob said, it's the shortest day in terms of daylight. In NYC, December 21 has just over 9 hours and 15 minutes of daylight... all the other days have slightly more. That's the result of the sun being on its furthest-south arc and spending the most time below the horizon and out of sight, from our viewpoint.

Now, most of us keep civil time, by which the day is exactly 24 hours long. The solar day, however, changes over the year, sometimes slightly shorter than 24 hours and sometimes slightly longer. Around the solstice, the solar day is something like 30 seconds longer than the civil day... the cumulative difference means that the sun hits its highest daily point about 7 minutes later on the solstice than on Earliest Sunset Day, about two weeks prior. Sunset time follows suit, though it only lags about four minutes since the horizon is still overtaking it, so to speak, until the solstice.

Very good info guys. December is interesting with the early sunsets and such. This has actually peaked my interest, so I'll try and do even more research about Civil Twilight, Astronomical Twilight and even Nautical Twilight.

Very good info guys. December is interesting with the early sunsets and such. This has actually peaked my interest, so I'll try and do even more research about Civil Twilight, Astronomical Twilight and even Nautical Twilight.

Good for you, learning is always a good thing. The funny thing is that the more I learn the more I realize I don't know ;)

Aye, astronomy and meteorology are quite inseparable... an interest in one inevitably leads to an interest in the other. This may sound silly, but pick up the Old Farmer's Almanac... for $7 or whatever it is, it's a fun read and has lots of solid info about astronomy and the sky-earth interface in general. You don't have to read the bogus wx forecasts if you don't want. ;)

Aye, astronomy and meteorology are quite inseparable... an interest in one inevitably leads to an interest in the other. This may sound silly, but pick up the Old Farmer's Almanac... for $7 or whatever it is, it's a fun read and has lots of solid info about astronomy and the sky-earth interface in general. You don't have to read the bogus wx forecasts if you don't want. ;)

The only reason I looked at those things was for the forecasts :D

Never knew about all the added info. I'll definitely look into getting one.

It was weird looking towards Middletown last night and seeing it dark. My sister-in-law was in the Galleria when it hit and for some reason no emergency lighting came on where she was.

Supposedly one of the high voltage overhead lines failed and caused 13 substations to fail.. smh

Most of Pike county PA, Port Jervis down to westtown up to Middletown and up toward Wurtsboro were all without power. They say 52k customers were effected but in reality its prob more along the lines of 100k people.

Supposedly one of the high voltage overhead lines failed and caused 13 substations to fail.. smh

Most of Pike county PA, Port Jervis down to westtown up to Middletown and up toward Wurtsboro were all without power. They say 52k customers were effected but in reality its prob more along the lines of 100k people.

Bet the over on that 100k number of people, it was probably close to that just in Orange County.

Guest Patrick

anybody have any inland winter stats in years like this where the pac is dominant and we never seem to be able to flip to a decent pattern? i assume inland still does ok in the end because we have the potential for late season monsters... but obviously it's difficult to find stats.

anybody have any inland winter stats in years like this where the pac is dominant and we never seem to be able to flip to a decent pattern? i assume inland still does ok in the end because we have the potential for late season monsters... but obviously it's difficult to find stats.

The beauty of our location is we can still afford to be a few degrees above normal and still snow. The coast doesn't have that luxury. With an active stj I will take my chances. Now if we can get some moisture up this way...

For us especially, the December 18-24 time frame looks to be the most consistent in the form of winter weather, with 2mt hovering at 32F over Manhattan however I think it's a classic N+W burbs set-up with changeover/mixing south of Rockland, or perhaps even south of 84, depending on how the days ahead develop. Just my opinion on time frame, I know chances are slim. I know the ensembles are usually garbage this far out but they have A lot of support and most of them agree on a white Christmas for us.

Archived