• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just out on the Colchester Causeway in the middle of Lake Champlain and it was wild. Gusts 45-50mph and 4 foot waves crashing into the causeway. I was fearing for my phone's life as I got drilled by breaking wave after breaking wave while running!

Felt like ocean!

Was just out on the Colchester Causeway in the middle of Lake Champlain and it was wild. Gusts 45-50mph and 4 foot waves crashing into the causeway. I was fearing for my phone's life as I got drilled by breaking wave after breaking wave while running!

Felt like ocean!

Awesome!  I know when MVL is gusting 30kts in an area where gusty winds are hard to come by, it must be ripping out in the Champlain Valley and over the open Lake.

Just checked and picked up another 0.31" this morning after 8am.

Up around 1.75" for the past 48-72 hours, which is just what the vegetation needed.

Haha it does feel like fall after a couple days of humidity. 30kt gusts and no more sweating for no reason.

I got home yesterday to find another 0.40” in the rain gauge, which sort of had me doing a double-take, and then we got more rain overnight.  There was an awesome fall-like feel last night as those winds brought in the colder, drier air, and I always find it very interesting how just a little time with humidity can set up that feeling of autumn change.  Anyway, that’s two inches of rain in the past couple of days or so, and apparently that’s making up for only 0.06” in the first 10 days of the month.

Upper 20s at my place with a solid frost.  Coldest official I saw for New England (apart from MWN's 20) was 25 at BML.  28 at IZG lowest I sw for Maine, though with HUL at 29 I suspect the usual Aroostook cold spots were lower than that.

Just arrived back in the country from Barbados and I can tell you this wasn't exactly what I was hoping for after a week no colder than the 25o C in my climate controlled room.

Upper 20s at my place with a solid frost.  Coldest official I saw for New England (apart from MWN's 20) was 25 at BML.  28 at IZG lowest I sw for Maine, though with HUL at 29 I suspect the usual Aroostook cold spots were lower than that.

Not in NNE but SLK with a crisp 23F.  

We planted all our annuals last week and everything came through fine.  Balmy 40.4F up on temp sensor which is 25 feet above ground level.  Didn't notice frost but didn't get up at 5 something to look either...

Several years ago we had a very late killing frost,  I remember oak leaves dropping off.  Anyone remember the date of that?  Lost our apple blossoms that year too....

We planted all our annuals last week and everything came through fine.  Balmy 40.4F up on temp sensor which is 25 feet above ground level.  Didn't notice frost but didn't get up at 5 something to look either...

Several years ago we had a very late killing frost,  I remember oak leaves dropping off.  Anyone remember the date of that?  Lost our apple blossoms that year too....

Probably 2010.  we had near record mildness for Feb, Mar, and April, then 70s-80s each of the first 5 days of May, bringing the new growth out about two weeks ahead of avg.  Then my frost pocket location recorded 22, 26, 25 for lows on May 11-13.  Oak and ash (and some maple, only time I've seen it nipped by late freeze) were toast, along with my apple blossoms.  That freeze roasted the Japanese knotweed all the way into downtown Augusta, but unfortunately they resprouted just fine.  Back in 1999 we had a lesser but similar occurence - mild March thru ealy May, then 29, 25, 27, also on May 11-13.  Roasted my freshly planted peach tree, along with most oak leaves and all the ash.  I had a low of 27 yesterday, but the ash had barely broken buds, and look okay.

Political borders. Same latitude and climate. And the best radiator on the east coast

True enough, for regularly reporting stations, though I'd put some of the northern Aroostook locations (Big Black, Estcourt Station, Nine-Mile Bridge) as worthy challengers.

Probably 2010. we had near record mildness for Feb, Mar, and April, then 70s-80s each of the first 5 days of May, bringing the new growth out about two weeks ahead of avg. Then my frost pocket location recorded 22, 26, 25 for lows on May 11-13. Oak and ash (and some maple, only time I've seen it nipped by late freeze) were toast, along with my apple blossoms. That freeze roasted the Japanese knotweed all the way into downtown Augusta, but unfortunately they resprouted just fine. Back in 1999 we had a lesser but similar occurence - mild March thru ealy May, then 29, 25, 27, also on May 11-13. Roasted my freshly planted peach tree, along with most oak leaves and all the ash. I had a low of 27 yesterday, but the ash had barely broken buds, and look okay.

Political borders. Same latitude and climate. And the best radiator on the east coast

True enough, for regularly reporting stations, though I'd put some of the northern Aroostook locations (Big Black, Estcourt Station, Nine-Mile Bridge) as worthy challengers.

I guess it comes down to how we judge the best radiator as well. Is it the station with the largest avg range? TAN radiates very well, but isn't always the coldest in the region. I agree with you though. Throw an ASOS up in BBR and watch it go wild.

I guess it comes down to how we judge the best radiator as well. Is it the station with the largest avg range? TAN radiates very well, but isn't always the coldest in the region. I agree with you though. Throw an ASOS up in BBR and watch it go wild.

It is hard to beat SLK even for diurnal ranges...they've already recovered 42 degrees today. Geography is hard to touch being at 1,600ft but the lowest elevation around with 4,000-5,000ft peaks providing the compressional warming during the day and the radiation at night.

I'll clarify that as hard to beat at any other ASOS station in the northeast.

It is hard to beat SLK even for diurnal ranges...they've already recovered 42 degrees today. Geography is hard to touch being at 1,600ft but the lowest elevation around with 4,000-5,000ft peaks providing the compressional warming during the day and the radiation at night.

I'll clarify that as hard to beat at any other ASOS station in the northeast.

No doubt.

On a related note, 73/26 at BML so far today. Dry city.

Talk about a flip from the winter pattern...

Yeah seriously! It's doing its best to try and negate that Feb departure. We'll lose some of that later this week though with highs only in the 60s and lows in the 40s. But quite the impressive first 2/3rds of the month.

Yeah seriously! It's doing its best to try and negate that Feb departure. We'll lose some of that later this week though with highs only in the 60s and lows in the 40s. But quite the impressive first 2/3rds of the month.

You might not even finish in the Top 10 warmest Mays, though. I'd expect some nights with lows in the 30s, not just 40s...850s are around 0C Thursday morning and -6C on Saturday morning. 18z GFS came in absolutely frigid for Saturday AM. I'd expect 20s in the mountains with low 30s in the valley locations, maybe a tad warmer by Lake Champlain but still a solid frost. 

You might not even finish in the Top 10 warmest Mays, though. I'd expect some nights with lows in the 30s, not just 40s...850s are around 0C Thursday morning and -6C on Saturday morning. 18z GFS came in absolutely frigid for Saturday AM. I'd expect 20s in the mountains with low 30s in the valley locations, maybe a tad warmer by Lake Champlain but still a solid frost. 

We'll see, normal low is still in the 40s so 30's is not THAT much of a departure. We'd have to lose 1.3F (not departure, actual degrees) to fall out of the Top 10. It will depend on what happens that final week. If we get back into the 70's/80's we'll be solid Top 10. Will be at least something to watch.

We'll see, normal low is still in the 40s so 30's is not THAT much of a departure. We'd have to lose 1.3F (not departure, actual degrees) to fall out of the Top 10. It will depend on what happens that final week. If we get back into the 70's/80's we'll be solid Top 10. Will be at least something to watch.

Yeah I was thinking that, if the mean temperature is already at top 3, we'll need to really lower the mean temp during a period when climo normals are rising. That's much harder to do than say like October when you expect the mean temp to fall during the final two weeks due to dropping climo norms. In May, you expect the second half to be equal to or warmer than the first half in the means.

12Z MEX was 19F at SLK. :lol:

Archived