• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Bird update time...

The wood thrushes have been extra noisy today. I've been hearing their flute-like whistles echoing through the forest in the BY all day.

I have my first ever red breasted nuthatch. Looks like it'll be sticking around as I've seen it on the suet everyday over the past few days.

Also saw a gold finch feeding from my hummingbird feeder this morning. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Lastly, the catbirds have been going to town on the orange halves that I leave out. I'm averaging a whole orange every 2-3 days. I'll probably have to go to Wally and buy a big bag of cheapies. Those birds are a trip with their meow calls. They have quite a variety of pretty songs too.

i saw a gold finch yesterday morning, and there is bird around here whose song is the beginning bars of the Mexican Hat Dance

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bird update time...

The wood thrushes have been extra noisy today. I've been hearing their flute-like whistles echoing through the forest in the BY all day.

I have my first ever red breasted nuthatch. Looks like it'll be sticking around as I've seen it on the suet everyday over the past few days.

Also saw a gold finch feeding from my hummingbird feeder this morning. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Lastly, the catbirds have been going to town on the orange halves that I leave out. I'm averaging a whole orange every 2-3 days. I'll probably have to go to Wally and buy a big bag of cheapies. Those birds are a trip with their meow calls. They have quite a variety of pretty songs too.

I refer to catbirds as babblebirds... since they seem to do that more than meow.  

Sometimes I hear wood thrushes around the stream that runs next door.

Used to have a lot of red breasted nuthatches when my mom fed the birds 15 years ago, but haven't seen one since.

I had what I think was a red-winged blackbird visit one day last week.  The calls were a match, but it had a mostly white band where the red should be.  Looked more like this:  http://previews.123rf.com/images/ca2hill/ca2hill1207/ca2hill120700033/14568608-A-male-Red-winged-Blackbird-eating-at-a-bird-feeder-in-Ontario-Canada--Stock-Photo.jpg

That 18z GFS run last was just the worst. Had >1" at MSS and 0.70" here at BTV through 00z tonight. NAM and Euro of course WAY under. We're sitting at 0.07" at MSS and 0.01" at BTV. Just AWFUL for an event within 12 hours.

I refer to catbirds as babblebirds... since they seem to do that more than meow.  

Sometimes I hear wood thrushes around the stream that runs next door.

Used to have a lot of red breasted nuthatches when my mom fed the birds 15 years ago, but haven't seen one since.

I had what I think was a red-winged blackbird visit one day last week.  The calls were a match, but it had a mostly white band where the red should be.  Looked more like this:  http://previews.123rf.com/images/ca2hill/ca2hill1207/ca2hill120700033/14568608-A-male-Red-winged-Blackbird-eating-at-a-bird-feeder-in-Ontario-Canada--Stock-Photo.jpg

I used to get the red wingers a lot at my old house in Auburn. I see them off and on every spring here, but they're a bit of a nuisance since they bully the smallr birds off of the feeder. I've since tried to create two different feeder areas...one with feeders for smaller birds and one with larger bird capacity. Now I get the finches, titmice, and chickadees mostly on the smaller ones while the blue jays, woodpeckers, cardinals, and other larger birds hang out at the large feeders/suet. Then the mourning doves eat and crap underneath anything that the squirrels spill.

That 18z GFS run last was just the worst. Had >1" at MSS and 0.70" here at BTV through 00z tonight. NAM and Euro of course WAY under. We're sitting at 0.07" at MSS and 0.01" at BTV. Just AWFUL for an event within 12 hours.

It was multiple runs too. Seriously wtf.

GFS_3_2015052406_F48_PCPIN_24_HR.png

Been sprinkling here off and on for like 3 hours and never coming close to fully wetting the pavement. 0.01" in the stratus gauge lol.

Even this morning it was a wet model.

Been sprinkling here off and on for like 3 hours and never coming close to fully wetting the pavement. 0.01" in the stratus gauge lol.

Even this morning it was a wet model.

What did they get at the picnic tables? Radar looked respectable at times up there, but it was virga for sure-ga.

What did they get at the picnic tables? Radar looked respectable at times up there, but it was virga for sure-ga.

Co-Op report isn't out yet...should be anytime. But I've had good visibility all day straight to the summit so I can't imagine it was much.

The Davis wx station near the base area at 1600ft hasn't recorded anything measurable today but I'm not sure how automated precip is when it's this light. It's like steady sprinkles that dry up as more falls haha.

Another MVL ASOS fail...light rain events continue to be way underreported with all stations around the ASOS with 0.1-0.25" and it records 0.02". I've noticed if it's just raining light 0.01-0.05" per hour it records a trace. It seems to sample convective heavy rain events well though.

It sucks because it's making the ASOS precip data useless.

Another MVL ASOS fail...light rain events continue to be way underreported with all stations around the ASOS with 0.1-0.25" and it records 0.02". I've noticed if it's just raining light 0.01-0.05" per hour it records a trace. It seems to sample convective heavy rain events well though.

It sucks because it's making the ASOS precip data useless.

image.jpg

not sure what would cause it to underreport in lighter synoptic rains yet be okay during heavier comvective ones. Maybe the +RA dislodges a big wad of bird poo? lol

not sure what would cause it to underreport in lighter synoptic rains yet be okay during heavier comvective ones. Maybe the +RA dislodges a big wad of bird poo? lol

Yeah I have no idea...I know I've had the discussion with Nittany, and several summers ago I had the discussion with Nash who is the met in charge at BTV. That summer the Stowe Village and Hyde Park CoCoRAHS stations (Stowe just south, Hyde Park just north of the ASOS) and both of then were putting up 5-7" months for Jun/Jul/Aug while MVL was about 50% at 3" per month.

I don't know enough about ASOS but in light events, MVL will throw up Trace hourly reports when its light but measurable at 0.01-0.1".

Like look at yesterday's obs...mostly T's when in reality they should've accumulated at least a tenth, maybe two over like 6 hours of rain.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?table=1&banner=off&sid=KMVL

LCI did the same thing for years... haven't noticed it lately though.

I wonder if the equipment is similar. I always assumed MVL was a full ASOS but maybe it's a lower quality? MPV and BTV never seem to have issues, even in the winter with snow events, the Montpelier/MPV is relatively good while MVL is horrific. Wonder if there's different equipment but have no idea...

Archived