• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Nice deep-bellied critters!  Having yet to wet a line this year, I'm envious.  Maybe this weekend - though North Pond is strictly a warmwater fishery.  Might find some "alligators."

Had 0.70" yesterday, heaviest about 3 PM.  Seeing dendrite's detailed records for June reminds me that I should've noted the anomalous maxima early in the month.  Prior to 2015, only 6/1/2004 (49/37) had a sub-50 high.  June 1 this year had high of 47, to break that record, then the 2nd re-broke it with a high of 45.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice deep-bellied critters!  Having yet to wet a line this year, I'm envious.  Maybe this weekend - though North Pond is strictly a warmwater fishery.  Might find some "alligators."

Had 0.70" yesterday, heaviest about 3 PM.  Seeing dendrite's detailed records for June reminds me that I should've noted the anomalous maxima early in the month.  Prior to 2015, only 6/1/2004 (49/37) had a sub-50 high.  June 1 this year had high of 47, to break that record, then the 2nd re-broke it with a high of 45.

lol on the gators, Should provide some good bass fishing i would think

Used to catch a few smallies and an occasional largemouth each venture, but much fewer now - even a lot less white perch. It's mainly a pike and yellow perch pond now.

Yeah it fairly shallow and a lot of competing species for food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nittany, if you lurk in this thread, do you know if anyone in the WFO BTV is looking into the MVL precipitation gauge? 

Again today, light rain is its worst enemy as I've got 0.05" so far, MPV is showing 0.05", BTV with 0.02", while MVL shows "Trace" amounts each hour. 

I've figured that the issue has been in place since at least last fall, with MVL's obs consistently standing out against the rest in those light to moderate rain events.  This was back on November 7th.

attachicon.gifMVL_fail (2).png

Yes and no, it's a known problem, but I'm not aware of anything being currently done (although that's an electronic technician thing, so I'm not always aware of what pieces of equipment they're fixing). The other issue is since its *technically* FAA, its low priority since rainfall amount doesn't really affect airport operation.

June rainfall map...my total was 10.94" through yesterday morning, and 11.04" this morning as of 7am.  I'm not sure when the month ends...is it the 7am July 1 reading or 7am June 30th? 

11709632_892359524169283_871079052514364

One thing I noticed with this map...there are 17 CoCoRAHS stations that exceeded 10" of rainfall in VT in June.  I only see 2 spots listed on the map above as having greater than 10" of rain.

I would've tried to put a few more of these big totals in there to do the month justice.

attachicon.gifJune_2015_totals.jpg

I didn't make the map but I'm sure those heavier amounts are in there, just not labelled. All labels are not shown as the map would like sh*t, the person making it probably just let the program decide what points to actually label.

Tonight was hard to beat for a summer evening in VT:

11713805_10102733528793299_8027750207661

11416330_10102733528798289_6358368487173

11696520_10102733528833219_4081609754891

Epic shots!!

Yes and no, it's a known problem, but I'm not aware of anything being currently done (although that's an electronic technician thing, so I'm not always aware of what pieces of equipment they're fixing). The other issue is since its *technically* FAA, its low priority since rainfall amount doesn't really affect airport operation.

I didn't make the map but I'm sure those heavier amounts are in there, just not labelled. All labels are not shown as the map would like sh*t, the person making it probably just let the program decide what points to actually label.

Good info on MVL...yes, its certainly a first-world problem, haha.  I can complain about it but in the grand scheme of things, there are more than enough CoCoRAHS observers and PWS sites that one ASOS isn't a big deal.  I just hope it doesn't mess up the climo data.

And interesting about the maps...so all the data gets loaded in and then the program decides what to label?  And you can adjust as you have time for or see fit?  I really have always loved the graphics that BTV puts out...overlaid on a topographic shaded map.  Makes it very easy to visualize the terrain differences.

Good info on MVL...yes, its certainly a first-world problem, haha.  I can complain about it but in the grand scheme of things, there are more than enough CoCoRAHS observers and PWS sites that one ASOS isn't a big deal.  I just hope it doesn't mess up the climo data.

And interesting about the maps...so all the data gets loaded in and then the program decides what to label?  And you can adjust as you have time for or see fit?  I really have always loved the graphics that BTV puts out...overlaid on a topographic shaded map.  Makes it very easy to visualize the terrain differences.

Depends on what type of map and what software program and/or script was used. In that particular set of maps, yes, all the QC-ed data goes into the interpolation scheme (you can see the higher/lower amounts over some areas, even without labels), but not all labels can be shown as it would be unreadable. So in that instance, the program/script automatically labels a certain amount with a certain buffer around it.

Spent the day in your neck of the woods on Great Pond today. Real nice area.

Spent the day in your neck of the woods on Great Pond today. Real nice area.

And a real nice day on North, though the fish were few and small.  I appreciated the light overcast, as I prefer not to bake in the reflector oven.  Ospreys are back nesting on Pomleau Island, and their loud "chirps" add to the ambiance.

Sunrises have been getting later for several days now but tonight is the first night sunset is a minute earlier.  8:31pm instead of 8:32pm  (for me).   Couple more weeks were temps still rise climatology wise but we are rounding the corner.  Seems to fast!

Newfound is crazy busy right now with everyone out in their boats enjoying real summer weather... lawn looks good too,  hopefully a storm or two Tues/Wed to keep everything green.

Bad weekend for swimmers...looks like Huntington Gorge in Richmond claimed another life. 

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/07/05/possible-rescue-huntington-gorge/29749413/

RICHMOND — A woman was missing and presumed drowned following an accident at the Huntington Gorge in Richmond on Sunday.

Richmond police said two other people were able to get out of the raging water. One was transported to the University of Vermont Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries, and the other walked from the scene, said Richmond police Cpl. Rick Greenough.

Public safety officials were summoned to the gorge at about 6:40 p.m. and worked until about 9:30 p.m. before calling off the recovery efforts until morning.

"This is a popular swim hole," Greenough said, adding that there is a sign nearby with the names of people who have drowned in the gorge. "It's not even updated, that's how often it happens, unfortunately."

Colchester Technical Rescue and Stowe Technical Rescue had swimmers in the water during recovery efforts Sunday night.

The case is considered a drowning and a recovery mission, state police Lt. James Whitcomb told the Burlington Free Press.

Greenough said the later hour and the location of the body were reasons the woman's body could not be removed from the water Sunday.

Sounds like they found the woman this morning....but I wonder what it will take for people not to swim there.  Its like averaging 1 death per summer lately. 

Bad weekend for swimmers...looks like Huntington Gorge in Richmond claimed another life. 

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2015/07/05/possible-rescue-huntington-gorge/29749413/

Sounds like they found the woman this morning....but I wonder what it will take for people not to swim there.  Its like averaging 1 death per summer lately. 

Im probably going to be careful if I see a sign like this....and that sign is 20+ years old

74_1280.jpg

Im probably going to be careful if I see a sign like this....and that sign is 20+ years old

Yeah no kidding.

Unfortunately, this case shows just how quickly it can happen and it looks very non-threatening...

The woman's body was found 2 feet underwater near that rock on the left with the sticks and debris piled up against it.  Right near where that old culvert pipe is as well if you enlarge the photo.  I definitely wouldn't have thought about that.  They were just walking across the bottom pool, and slipped into the little whitewater and that was it.

635717829648496789-BUR20150706DROWN8.jpg

Yeah I think its up to 25 deaths now since 1950 or something.

That place can be very deceiving. You can't tell how deep it is, or see all of the crazy currents, whirpools, or jettis that actually go underneath some of the rock. But yet people swim there every day.

Much safer downstream of the gorge.

Archived