• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

0.07 inches overnight, giving me 8.00 inches for the month of June.  More coming this weekend.  I think 9 inches for June is within reach.

Yes, been very wet.  However, for me, the timing of the rain has been pretty fortuitous.  I play golf every Tuesday and Thursday evening and at least once over the weekend and I haven't been rained on, in any meaningful way, yet. I realize this is a very me-centric view but I'm fine with that :P

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had two beautiful days in the Seboomook woods, NW of Moosehead. Skeeters were thick in the AM, nearly enough to have me take the bug dope out of my pocket. (Hate the stuff, but carry it for morale.) Deerflies, which ignore bug dope, came in swarms during the afternoons, removing their pound of flesh. We expected the stiff breeze Wednesday, sufficient to scatter the smaller pests if we were in the open, which was seldom, but having wind at least that strong yesterday was a bonus. Days of max 70 with dews 40s - yum!

June precip at 5.33", should easily exceed the 5.51" avg unless the weekend event is a miss. Month is running -3.6 to date, and we should finish it without ever touching 80 - odd because we hit/topped that mark 7 times last month.

Had two beautiful days in the Seboomook woods, NW of Moosehead. Skeeters were thick in the AM, nearly enough to have me take the bug dope out of my pocket. (Hate the stuff, but carry it for morale.) Deerflies, which ignore bug dope, came in swarms during the afternoons, removing their pound of flesh. We expected the stiff breeze Wednesday, sufficient to scatter the smaller pests if we were in the open, which was seldom, but having wind at least that strong yesterday was a bonus. Days of max 70 with dews 40s - yum!

June precip at 5.33", should easily exceed the 5.51" avg unless the weekend event is a miss. Month is running -3.6 to date, and we should finish it without ever touching 80 - odd because we hit/topped that mark 7 times last month.

The deer flies hurt, The dragon flies love them though, Strap on a therma cell and the skeetos will leave you alone

The deer flies hurt, The dragon flies love them though, Strap on a therma cell and the skeetos will leave you alone

I'd never heard of this before, so checked the usual search engine. Seems great for use on one's patio, less useful for a miles-long bushwhck thru the thick stuff in northern Maine. Actually, the mosquitos were no problem while I was walking between measurement spots, but they got quite thick in the 2-3 minutes I'd spend at each location. Since we were looking for once-and-future snowshoe hare habitat, I would suspect that the apparatus might get wiped off as one crashed thru that kind of doghair thicket. (My forearms look as though I was fighting with a bobcat.)

I'd never heard of this before, so checked the usual search engine. Seems great for use on one's patio, less useful for a miles-long bushwhck thru the thick stuff in northern Maine. Actually, the mosquitos were no problem while I was walking between measurement spots, but they got quite thick in the 2-3 minutes I'd spend at each location. Since we were looking for once-and-future snowshoe hare habitat, I would suspect that the apparatus might get wiped off as one crashed thru that kind of doghair thicket. (My forearms look as though I was fighting with a bobcat.)

Surveyors use them all the time, They make one to clip on to your belt

MR-GJ.jpg?1432825548

Over a half inch of rain already and still pouring. Love it.

Wow.  Like eek got .14" here.  Was't even expecting that.  Surface is now plenty moist and have not had to run the lawn sprinklers in awhile now.  70F with scat to broken Cu.  Cool for late June but just my perfect summer weather. Sunny days but with frequent rain events to keep everything green.  Maybe after Monday I will start complaining its too wet.

Eek, I would like a banana tree for my pond, do you have any? 

Surveyors use them all the time, They make one to clip on to your belt

MR-GJ.jpg?1432825548

Thanks for the heads up.  This would seem to be a great item for remeasuring permanent forest growth plots, where one is at the same location for half a day.  However, the FAQ below (from ThermaCell) would point to limited value for what we were doing the past two days, with only a few minutes at any given location.  There's also a question about wet brush, stemming from another FAQ; one early shower keeps the leaves wet for hours and brings out mosquitos and mingies in huge numbers. 

Had to grin at the Maine blackfly test, which showed only half the effective distance as for skeeters (which matches well my experience with deet-based repellents, substituting time for distance), though the description noted that the fresh breeze during the test may have compromised ithe product's effectiveness.  Of course, a good breeze also compromises skeeter/blackfly "effectiveness" as well.  Nothing short of a full gale would keep the deerflies away.

Q: I started my Mosquito Repellent Appliance and took it outside with me, but the mosquitoes didn’t stay away. Why didn’t it work?

A: For best results, start the device and place it outdoors in the area of your intended activity for at least 15 minutes. It needs some time to establish the area of protection.

Yes, been very wet.  However, for me, the timing of the rain has been pretty fortuitous.  I play golf every Tuesday and Thursday evening and at least once over the weekend and I haven't been rained on, in any meaningful way, yet. I realize this is a very me-centric view but I'm fine with that :P

nothing wrong with that.  sometimes the rain falls just right.

Yesterday's showers (0.17") brought June total to 5.50", just 0.01" below my avg.  Temp thru yesterday is 1.2F below 2009, my coolest of 17 Junes here.  I think tomorrow's 50s RA will keep this month cool enough to beat '09, which I never thought would happen.  Just hope my cucurbits survive.

Yesterday's showers (0.17") brought June total to 5.50", just 0.01" below my avg.  Temp thru yesterday is 1.2F below 2009, my coolest of 17 Junes here.  I think tomorrow's 50s RA will keep this month cool enough to beat '09, which I never thought would happen.  Just hope my cucurbits survive.

Quite different over this way where we are primed to break the all-time June records at least on Mount Mansfield and at Montpelier.  BTV is going to take a little work to get over 2" of rain.

Nice Climo Summary on this afternoon's AFD...

.CLIMATE...
IT`S BEEN AN ANOMALOUSLY WET JUNE ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY. WITH
ADDITIONAL RAINFALL TONIGHT INTO TOMORROW, AND THE POTENTIAL FOR
MORE RAIN ON TUESDAY, MONTHLY JUNE RAINFALL RECORDS ARE IN
JEOPARDY FOR SOME OF OUR CLIMATE SITES: BURLINGTON, MONTPELIER,
AND MOUNT MANSFIELD.

A SUMMARY OF CURRENT RAINFALL TOTALS FOR THESE SITES, AND WHAT IT
WILL TAKE TO BREAK THE JUNE RECORD FOLLOWS BELOW. NOTE THAT CITED
RAINFALL VALUES REFLECT AMOUNTS CURRENT AS OF 6/26.

AT 7.70 INCHES, BURLINGTON NEEDS 2.22 INCHES OF ADDITIONAL RAIN
TO BREAK THE JUNE RAINFALL RECORD OF 9.22 INCHES SET IN 1922.

AT 7.45 INCHES, MONTPELIER NEEDS 0.91 INCHES OF ADDITIONAL RAIN
TO BREAK THE JUNE RAINFALL RECORD OF 8.36 INCHES SET IN 2013.

AT 14.16 INCHES, MT. MANSFIELD NEEDS 1.12 INCHES OF ADDITIONAL
RAIN TO BREAK THE JUNE RAINFALL RECORD OF 15.28 INCHES SET IN

&&

Maybe someone here can help me identify a bird. My New England Audubon book didn't help me.

It landed on my garden fence while I was preparing the bed for my pumpkin patch. It was an average sized bird that was primarily dark brown (granted it was 8pm). It's most distinguishing feature was a large head. I tried the whatbird search and the illustration is very close to what I saw.

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/170/overview/Olive-sided_Flycatcher.aspx

The thing is, when I search the bird on google images it doesn't look as dark as the illustration or what I saw. The other, more common, option is eastern phoebe I suppose.

Maybe someone here can help me identify a bird. My New England Audubon book didn't help me.

It landed on my garden fence while I was preparing the bed for my pumpkin patch. It was an average sized bird that was primarily dark brown (granted it was 8pm). It's most distinguishing feature was a large head. I tried the whatbird search and the illustration is very close to what I saw.

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/170/overview/Olive-sided_Flycatcher.aspx

The thing is, when I search the bird on google images it doesn't look as dark as the illustration or what I saw. The other, more common, option is eastern phoebe I suppose.

Did it make any calls/chirps/songs?  I've had luck identifying birds that way.  

I heard the distinct call of the carolina wren in your backyard when I was there.  Their summer breeding range has pushed further north from the usual SNE border. You don't usually actually see them, just hear them.

Did it make any calls/chirps/songs?  I've had luck identifying birds that way.  

I heard the distinct call of the carolina wren in your backyard when I was there.  Their summer breeding range has pushed further north from the usual SNE border. You don't usually actually see them, just hear them.

No song or call. The head and wings were all a dark solid color...again brownish. And the head had that large, bumped look I assume from the crest.

I looked up the wren when you told me that day and listened to its calls and songs, but I haven't picked it out since. I do get that constant flute-like song every evening from what I've identified (only through song) as a wood thrush. The belly of this bird didn't appear to be spotted though...otherwise the coloring of the head and wings is similar.

Montpelier, VT (MPV) has now set its all-time June rainfall record with 1.37" so far today.

New Record is at 8.82" and counting...old record was 8.36" set just 2 years ago in June 2013.  Records go back to the 1950s.

Mount Mansfield (MMNV1) is very close to the all-time June rainfall record of 15.28" set in 1998.  The co-op needed 1.12" to break it and at Stowe Mountain Operations Center at the base of the mountain we are apparently at 1.05" so far.  Several thousand feet higher probably broke the record. 

Personally, I've got 0.92" at home in the gauge and am now over 11" of rainfall this month. 

The Mountain is over 15" and town is over 11"...incredibly wet month.

As of 1pm today I had 0.95" in the rain gauge, and since I emptied it, I've had another 0.16" for a total of 1.11". 

I'm tempted to go stick one of these rain gauges just outside the fence of the MVL ASOS to compare totals, haha.  MVL continues to struggle with only 0.31" measured on the day and that is less than 50% of even the absolute lowest PWS station in the county.  I'm seeing anywhere from 0.75-1.25" in Lamoille County and the ASOS is 0.31". 

Its the steady rain that the ASOS can't seem to handle (like that rainfall this morning)...while it seemed to capture the brief +RN we just had move through in the past hour or so (I've had 0.16" with that, and MVL had 0.13").  I don't really know much about the ASOS systems, but I don't know what would cause it to capture +RN ok but just fail at steady light to moderate rainfall. 

As of 1pm today I had 0.95" in the rain gauge, and since I emptied it, I've had another 0.16" for a total of 1.11". 

attachicon.gifJune_28.jpg

I'm tempted to go stick one of these rain gauges just outside the fence of the MVL ASOS to compare totals, haha.  MVL continues to struggle with only 0.31" measured on the day and that is less than 50% of even the absolute lowest PWS station in the county.  I'm seeing anywhere from 0.75-1.25" in Lamoille County and the ASOS is 0.31". 

Its the steady rain that the ASOS can't seem to handle (like that rainfall this morning)...while it seemed to capture the brief +RN we just had move through in the past hour or so (I've had 0.16" with that, and MVL had 0.13").  I don't really know much about the ASOS systems, but I don't know what would cause it to capture +RN ok but just fail at steady light to moderate rainfall. 

attachicon.gifJune_28_MVL.jpg

Looks like MVL is a heated tipping bucket system still. Now we know those aren't good in snowfall, but rainfall the known issues are more limited. Generally problems were sticking of the tipping bucket (due to corrosion), splashing, and faulty switches. Since it performed okay in heavier rain, I'm thinking splashing wasn't the issue (i.e. precip bouncing off the funnel and missing the tipping bucket). It's possible the wind screen is damaged, thus allowing lighter precip to miss the can. Or maybe it is just corroded

Looks like MVL is a heated tipping bucket system still. Now we know those aren't good in snowfall, but rainfall the known issues are more limited. Generally problems were sticking of the tipping bucket (due to corrosion), splashing, and faulty switches. Since it performed okay in heavier rain, I'm thinking splashing wasn't the issue (i.e. precip bouncing off the funnel and missing the tipping bucket). It's possible the wind screen is damaged, thus allowing lighter precip to miss the can. Or maybe it is just corroded

I can trace its most recent issues back to at least last fall, but it seems to be getting worse now.  Some of the rain events this month with the big torrential TS rains it has done ok, but this recent event is almost laughable when home stations are putting a very expensive ASOS to shame, lol.

Within our local area, rainfall ranges from 0.80" to 1.28" on local private weather stations.  MVL with 0.31" is marked on the screen shot, and I also added my 1.11" (but that's a manual gauge).  Sucks that the actual "official" station in the county is essentially useless for rainfall.

Archived