• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
On-going interesting weather observation(s) source:

Typhoon Tip

We'll see how this goes... hopefully, for the better.  I had a thought, though, that it would be nice to encourage a repository for on-going, interesting (or not...) weather observations.  John Lennon once coined, "Life is what happens while making plans." In present tenths, those sorts of observations that really should garner attention, but happen to occur while in wait of the next Media arouse impending doom.  

Case in point, right this very moment...  Do you realize that numerous backyard weather stations situated up in dem dar hills and elevations of far northwest Massachusetts and southern Vermont are stuck in the mid 30s!  Meanwhile, the last over-land air parcels, just prior to escaping seaward on the backs of strong northwesterly wind gusts, are throwing up temperatures between 55 and 60!   Both regions are amid the same post cfropa, deep, albeit transiently brief in the large synoptic evolution, cold air advection.  This is probably among the more impressive katabatic warming events we will see around southern New England, as dry air movement is forced down slope from near ideal direction.  

Hopefully over the course of whatever future amount of time ...this thread can fill up with interesting tweener type events that would otherwise go unnoticed.  

word!

I might not be up early tomorrow morning ... but if anyone is and has a moment, it would be interesting if you'd include your morning lows in here - perhaps location.  

One thing I think would be interesting to keep track of through tomorrow are the incredible diurnal temperature swings that are likely to take place over the next 24 to 30 hours.   Tonight ... the wind calms and decoupling is a slam dunk.  Radiational cooling is superb under crystal clear star lit skies and freshly CAA'ed dry air.  Would not surprise me if some deep interior favored cold spots fell into the 20s tonight...  Tomorrow is an interesting day; rapidly ripening polar high slips seaward during the day, and flips everyone around to a WSW land breeze, while 850 mb temps jump from near +1C at dawn, to perhaps +5 by dusk ...meanwhile, unabated blazing April sun -   As is, MOS' are above 65

29, now 51.. already impressive.  22 F in two hours!   

Full sun. Barely discerned  breeze appears to be SW.   Synopsis right on schedule.  Big bubble no trouble begins to slide seaward of the upper MA/NE regions, and sets up ripened polar air return flow with rapid recovery underway.  MOS appears on target, should see mid 60s abound around maxes ... perhaps a tick or two higher in a nook, cranny or parking lot.  

Maybe a good day for the old 10 at 10:00 rule?

Just add 10 degrees to your 10:00 AM temp to get your high.

:)   ...that's interesting...  I have my own that I've found useful during summer months when there's suggestion for triple digit heat at our latitude.  If it ain't "90 by 9"  ... I don't recall making the big 1 0 0 if it were not at least that hot by that morning hour. Obviously that may not have been true every time since the last 10 million years of North American geological history... but as a general rule of thumb I've seen that be true. 

:)   ...that's interesting...  I have my own that I've found useful during summer months when there's suggestion for triple digit heat at our latitude.  If it ain't "90 by 9"  ... I don't recall making the big 1 0 0 if it were not at least that hot by that morning hour. Obviously that may not have been true every time since the last 10 million years of North American geological history... but as a general rule of thumb I've seen that be true. 

Doesn't work so well for coastal locations when the sea breeze usually interrupts things, but inland and well-mixed it's usually pretty close.

Doesn't work so well for coastal locations when the sea breeze usually interrupts things, but inland and well-mixed it's usually pretty close.

Right ... 90 by 9 doesn't mean much where the ocean gets in the way, either -- same limitation.  

I've lived around eastern Mass ...more inland for the past 30 years.  Acton, Lowell...now Ayer. Although I did live in Winchester for 3 years in there.  Anyway, that former triangulum that 90 by 9 thing tends to work...and usually, we're not talking triple digit heat anyway unless it's a W component.  So in those circumstances it may work on down at Logan... 

10 at 10: though... I like that.  I'm putting up a 54 as of 10:, so 64 .... more or less within accuracy shouting distance of MOS. Using the (KFIT/KBED)/2 yields 66 ...  Interestingly, 850 MB T pops to +4 C toward later afternoon, which by standard adiabat supports just shy of 68 at the sfc.  

Maybe a good day for the old 10 at 10:00 rule?

Just add 10 degrees to your 10:00 AM temp to get your high.

Had 48F at 10a. 62F now so the 10 at 10 wasn't aggressive enough. A little WAA and a barren April landscape probably played into that.

CON is up to 66F. Maybe they can tickle 20C for the first time.

Had 48F at 10a. 62F now so the 10 at 10 wasn't aggressive enough. A little WAA and a barren April landscape probably played into that.

CON is up to 66F. Maybe they can tickle 20C for the first time.

Yeah same here, BTV was 49F at 10AM, peaked at 66F so far. No snow and pre-green-up lets it soar.

69 in Ayer;  29 was the low.  40 F turn around... 

Not bad... Prrooobably maxed out.  

mild dry night in store.  May yet decouple over some bogs and dales but ... with the gradient now established and the earth re-radiating the day's energy... could see this being rather balmy.  Tricky though...the air being so dry may off set - 

yeah, those "general rule of thumb" tricks aren't holy guys.   I take the 10 after 10: rule more to mean a minimum recovery during ideal heating, and that anything beyond is thus within the expectation.  The 90 by 9: thing is really just making 90 by 10 makes it harder to make a 100... 9 am just makes it real ease.  The problem with 10: 90 F is that too much has to be perfect ... one poorly times cirrus plume kills it, for example.  

Unfortunately, Scott, 90 in Napril doesn't mean much to the following summer -- at least as far as I'm aware.  I actually wonder at times if the other end, and that cold October means much to ensuing winters, either. I bet it turns out it's one of those things that "seems" like it does, more than does.   

Archived