• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
On-going interesting weather observation(s) source:

Typhoon Tip

24 to 66 so far at ORE...best I've seen so far.

Yeah the best jumps were down south today. MVL can usually put up some huge diurnal ranges sandwiched between two 3-4,000ft ridges, but just didn't get all that cold last night with 27F. With the low dews overnight, if the wind allowed for an earlier decouple, I was thinking lows of 20-23F. High was in the 63-65F range today, so no 40-degree swing.

Yup! ...and actually, it's climo to do the same thing in Octobers... 10th, clear, 62/22, ...guess where ur headed that night -

I feel this time of year is best for it though...at least in the NNE mountain valleys. Once the snow melts, you get a good couple weeks before green up, and with no vegetation and dry air masses....big ranges under high pressure.

This time of year we also get quite a few "over-the-top" warmth where like here/MVL, BML, HIE, BTV, MPV, southern Quebec, etc gets a good dry/warm airmass while eastern areas and SNE get modified by the Atlantic. Those air masses often produce huge diurnal ranges up here.

I feel this time of year is best for it though...at least in the NNE mountain valleys. Once the snow melts, you get a good couple weeks before green up, and with no vegetation and dry air masses....big ranges under high pressure.

This time of year we also get quite a few "over-the-top" warmth where like here/MVL, BML, HIE, BTV, MPV, southern Quebec, etc gets a good dry/warm airmass while eastern areas and SNE get modified by the Atlantic. Those air masses often produce huge diurnal ranges up here.

Yeah, mountain Meteorology should never be compared ....  Hell, in the high plains, there can be heat burst phenomenon and places will go from 45 to 100 in the middle of the night by thunderstorm outflow rushing down the front range of the Rockies...

Plus, and as you say ... drainage into valleys and so forth does crazy stuff.  But off to the side of some tarmac like KBED or KFIT,. autumn and spring are the big daily times of the year.  

As impressive as those diurnals were today, we do almost as impressive the other way. Many inland thermometers already shed 30 F since sun set!  

wow...     I'm almost wondering if tomorrow might actual best today in some of these interior cold spots... They've clearly decoupled amid low DPs... If they make freezing, then hit 74... that's nuts. 

Interestingly uneven temperature rises today...  Notice that in N. Middlesex Co it's nearing 70 already as of 10:30 am, while just west of there it's struggling through the 50s...  

I looked at Satellite ... doesn't seem gossamer cirrus would be enough to mute, so perhaps there's an extra deep inversion tucked into some places...  

post-904-0-15342500-1428935336_thumb.jpg

My neighborhood is bursting with frolicking nature..   I can hear frogs down at the brook doing that 'Da gung' thing. Birds are asking for partners.  And I heard a subtle distant saw-like sound, but when I looked at the front door it was a bumble bee having trouble realizing the limitations of screen.

Archived