joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion

IsentropicLift

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These BD fronts are always amazing in how chilly things get. It's only 42 right now and it's been 43-45F all day. April sun means nothing when you have a very cold ocean and a strong NE flow this time of year. 

Light showers have also developed over the area causing temps to lower slightly more. 

These BD fronts are always amazing in how chilly things get. It's only 42 right now and it's been 43-45F all day. April sun means nothing when you have a very cold ocean and a strong NE flow this time of year. 

Light showers have also developed over the area causing temps to lower slightly more. 

it's as nasty as it gets this time of year.  Temps have indeed gone nowhere and the dry stable wedge of air is impressive.

the bend in the isobars near us looks more like a lee trof than the warm front. winds are SSW up into new england

Yeah, the bend is acting like a defacto warm front as it extends from NYC ENE into the Sound. If that high

was weaker and further NE we would be talking about an easy first 80 from Newark to maybe NYC 

with more sun under those toasty 850's. 

Dry air being invected here from the NE, so doubt much gets in here outside of some sprinkles, light showers like the RGEM shows...what looked to be a rainy week is turning into a .25-.50 grand total.  (which is fine by me-need to dry things out)

couldn't even get that-dry as a bone and Upton's mainly dry through tomorrow PM now.

0z models trended cooler for Friday as that bend in the isobars acting as a warm front gets

stuck just south of the Driscoll Bridge. We see this happen quite a bit in the spring when a

strong high is present to our NE near the Canadian Maritimes.

Looks like NYC has a shot at a rare April 15th or later first 70 of spring.

It would be only the 6th time in NYC since 1980. Too bad we couldn't

get the bonus blizzard or snowstorm of 1982 and 2003 as a package deal.

2003...4-15*

1993....4-19*

1984...4-26*

1983...4-23*

1982....4-16*

What's the latest date ever? I had a feeling the cold dry air is so intense it would screw up the warm front. I'll be down in AC tomorrow where it should easily hit 70. I have a feeling it doesn't crack 60 NE of the city and central jersey hits the low 70s. Watch a nice squall line come at us tomorrow only to fizzle out

What's the latest date ever? I had a feeling the cold dry air is so intense it would screw up the warm front. I'll be down in AC tomorrow where it should easily hit 70. I have a feeling it doesn't crack 60 NE of the city and central jersey hits the low 70s. Watch a nice squall line come a us tomorrow only to fizzle out

I will have to look the latest date up, but maybe Uncle already knows it.

I wouldn't be expecting the warm front to make it much past Rt. 78. Friday still has a lot of clouds to deal with which will keep temps down and then the cold front crosses the area later in the day bringing one last chance of significant rain. Down in Philly, CNJ and SNJ is a different story. Think up here we struggle to get to 65.

12z euro continues the slower trend w/ the warm front. Now has mid 50s in NYC through 1pm Friday. Low 50s to the NE of there.

Forecast highs are now mid 60s for EWR, and low 60s for LGA/NYC.

Incoming from Western PA

northeast_loop.gif

That will weaken dramatically as it both crosses the Apps and encounters much more stable marine air locked in with ENE/NE winds. Temperatures are 30F colder in NYC than in western PA and wind direction is completely unfavorable. You can forget about anything but light rain.

For example, Pittsburgh is at 73/57 with south winds. NYC is at 42/35 with east winds.

That will weaken dramatically as it both crosses the Apps and encounters much more stable marine air locked in with ENE/NE winds. Temperatures are 30F colder in NYC than in western PA and wind direction is completely unfavorable. You can forget about anything but light rain.

For example, Pittsburgh is at 73/57 with south winds. NYC is at 42/35 with east winds.

I still think we see decent rain. That convection has loaded the mid levels with moisture that has to wring out. Kind of like a landfalling TC. Thunder probably not rain yes

Archived